Spray tanning, getting hands & feet right-tips please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowlass

Reaction score
Hey

I did my spray tan training a couple of months ago with Siennna X I haven't done anything with it since, I have only sprayed my husband once and I wasn't pleased with his hands, it's kind of knocked my confidence a bit:-(. Today a friend and fellow BT is being kind enough to let me practice on her as I really want to get my mobile business up and running and the lack of confidence in the tanning is holding me back,

At the training, it said to hold out hands as if you are holding a ball and you spray in a circle kind of motion, I applied barrier cream to the palms and in between fingers and nails, on my husband, I found this resulted in white streaks between fingers and his hands went very orange looking :-(

Any help and tips would be appreciated, I want to get this right or I fear I may never pick up a spray gun again!

Xxxx

I as clients to do claw hands then do one light spray - pulled back a little , over top, then ask to turn hands flat, top of hands together palms out , one light spray, then palms together , one light spray.
For feet I wait til end so any overspray has landed and do one light spray over each foot , pulled back a bit again x

Hi think you have the principle right, sounds like its a case of honing your technique.

The streaking sounds like your using too much barrier cream and/or your not rubbing it in properly. You only need a thin layer and you need to make sure its absorbed before spraying.

I spray hands by getting client to make 'tiger claws' with fingers slightly spread. I spray from a distance in a circular motion. The side of the hands pick up over spray from when I spray the clients arms, although I taper away at bottom of arm. I spray feet in a circular motion too, I also quickly and lightly spray along the side of foot and across the back of the heel to make sure there are no White creases.

Don't let it knock your confidence, it really is a case of practice makes perfect (same as with any other treatment). Hth x

Thank you for your advice, do any of you, use a thin layer of barrier cream on the backs of the hands?

I just get them hold their hands out with fingers spread and do 3 very quick flicks from wrist to fingers pulled back a little. Never had a problem.

With feet I just do 1 V shape spray, as feet get spray dropping down onto them whist you are spraying rest of body.

Don't forget to put barrier cream on palms of hands, nails and around edges of feet then get them to wear sticky feet too. Also a little blended onto knees depending on how dry their skin is.

I use a barrier cream on palms, nails and sides of feet. Then Xen Tan scent secure moisturiser on dry areas - elbows, knees, top of hands and top of feet - it's not a barrier cream but stops tan grabbing too much in drier areas x

Thank you for your advice, do any of you, use a thin layer of barrier cream on the backs of the hands?

Yes as tend to find a lot of ladies get dry hands especially in the winter. I only a tiny amount though x

I always do the backs of the hands, this is generally a dry area

What are you using as a barrier cream? I use fake bake mistifier spray for hands feet elbows and knees also turn down the gun and leave a little more distance so it's more like a light misting as has been said the overspray will have caught the hands and feet a little already hth x

I get the client to hold there hand out fingers spread apart and do a light X motion just 1 time same with the feet :) hope this helps

I do the whole hand with barrier cream and get them to hold like a claw and lightly spray in circles then get the to hold like praying upwards and lightly spray then downwards and lightly spray. I don't really spray feet as the overspray lands on them.

Thank you all x

Just a wee update, it turned out fine and she is very happy with it :cool:

Im going to be honest and say I dont use barrier cream on hands. As I come down the forearm and as I get to the wrist I flick away and it means that only the overspray gets on the hands and as you are not spraying directly onto the hands and you get a far more natural tan x

Latest posts

Back