Spray Tanning when Pregnant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
Hi there geeks!

Have done a search, and found a few threads on whether it's safe to HAVE a spray tan when pregnant, but I'd like to know whether it's safe to DO them??

I haven't seen a midwife yet (only 7 weeks) but a client of mine was told not to have a tan by her midwife, but only because she said she didn't actually know, so she thought maybe the fumes would be dangerous, so best to err on the side of caution!!

So I kind of want some facts, not someone's 'common sense' idea of whether it SEEMS safe or not! I don't do many...but there does always seem to be a LOT of overspray in the air when i do them!

Any input will be very gratefully received!

Thanks geeks!! :hug:

Laura xx

I was advised on my training not to spray pregnant ladies during there first trimister (SP)

Other than that, they are perfectly fine :green:

HTH's

I agree with Helen. We don't advocate spray tanning in the first trimester, not that this will harm the baby if you do, but the pregnant ladies hormones are all over the place in this particular time and the tan might not meet the clients expectations, ie uneven tan, tan not taking at all, patchy fade. It is just better to air on the air of caution then you are covered.

I tan ladies from 14+ weeks very successfully :)

The only one down side I have had is when one of my clients who was 29 weeks pregnant, started 'leaking' after I had sprayed her and she had nice streaks running down her bump from her boobies lol!!!

I asked my midwife, whilst I was pregnant if it was OK to carry on tanning clients (and I asked about nails too).

She told me both would be fine as long as a/ I didn't over exert myself and b/ she recommended just wearing a hygiene mask if there were many fumes or much overspray. As much as a precautionary measure as anything else.

I didn't actually spray anyone for the first few months - I had such bad morning sickness the smell would have killed me, but I dd after that and no one minded at all me wearing a mask when i explained why.

Oh and congratulations BTW!

Congratulations Laura xx:hug:xx

I spray tanned my friend in each trimester although it was explained its not recomended in the first trimester. Firsta dn second trimester she tanned beautifully in the last one she sprayed beautifully everywhere apart from her belly it was like the baby was reppelling the solution very weird.

Thanks for your replies guys.... think some of you may have mis-read my post tho?

I'm the pregnant one.... and I'm the one DOING the spray tan!!:eek:

Thanks Lyndsay, I think you 'got' my confused pregnancy speak.... although maybe my confused pregnancy brain mis-read the other responses?!??!

Will keep tanning, but make sure I don a mask from now on!!!

xx

i continued to spray tan while i was pregnant, i did the same as lyndsay...took it easy and wore a mask when i wasn't in a place that was very well ventilated.

congratulations on the pregnancy sweetie xx

Congratulations to you and best wishes for a great pregnancy!

With regard to spray tanning during your pregnancy, you could look at a few things:

overspray - always use some form of filtration / extraction in your spraying area to reduce this overspray. You might also want to look at either reducing the setting on your machine or chosing a machine which doesn't create so much overspray.

solution - many solutions contain alchohol, artificial colourants, perfumes etc which can aggrivate you during pregnancy even more than normal, take a closer look at the ingredients in the solutions you are using. if you do have a natural product which you are using, check to see that it has a valid uk safety certification

mask - use a recommended organic vapour mask for each tan that you apply, change them every day that you have clients in. dust masks are not suitable for spray tanning. if you want further information, please pm me.

posture - look after your back! alway bend at the knees or sit on the floor in the later months whenever you are tanning the lower part of the body so you do not put undue pressure on your lower back as this will really begin to feel the strain as you get bigger with your bump. on busy days tray to vary your treatments so you do not get booked up to do 10 tans in a row for example - be kind to your body as it will be working very hard indeed over the next few months!

hope this info helps you hun, take care!

Mandy x

Latest posts

Back