Spray Tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackiegst

Reaction score
For you mobile tanners that use a pop up tent, can you tell me if you use extra lighting inside the tent?? :lol:

I don't go mobile but know people who do and they use those clip on lights that I think you can get in Argos and places like that. You'd need a couple to cope with shadows etc.

Jackie

i do the tans in the clients kitchen so the light is normally very bright clip on lights good idea but i try to keep equipment down as lugging the tent machine and bag off solutions around is enough without lights aswell!! ive never had a problem.:green:

i have never used extra light when i tan in my tent:)

I have got a light but most of the time dont need it , they are handy got mine from sienna x

Can i also as if you use a fan for the overspray??

I do use extra lighting. It's extremely handy if your client doesn't have good overhead lighting and imperative if you ever use a solution that doesn't have a guide colour....for example a wedding tan solution.

here are some pictures of my lights

http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=522&userid=

I don't use any extraction unit or fan, as if your compressor is set properly you should have minimal overspray. If your machine isn't adjustable then i would highly reccommend investing your money on one that is as opposed to spending it on extraction....sorts out the root problem as opposed to trying to fix it! You also then save a fortune by using less solution.

I don't know what machine you use but i hardly get any overspray so dont use one.

I dont use any extraction fan for over spray, i dont really get any as i have the gun turned right down

I have devised my own lighting system!

I use a lamp and point it up to where I am spraying, that's IF extra lighting is needed.

xx

Hiya I have never needed extra lighting as of yet and I dont use extraction as I dont really have any overspray xx

just be carefull when using high output lamps inside tents..if they are really hot they could explode if accidentially sprayed on!!!!

Also remember that safety comes first..make sure the lead isnt going to trip someone up...also that you have the right plugtop fuse 3-5amp max..and preferably use a RCCD plug which you can buy at any hardware store..well worth the money when it comes to safety of you and your customer!!!

Best really if you avoid using lamps inside the tent.

If overspray is not a problem for you some people cut the top of the tent out..thus letting in light and also a bit of ventilation

just be very carefull when messing about with electrics around where you are spraying..especially in confined spaces :hug:

just be very carefull when messing about with electrics around where you are spraying..especially in confined spaces :hug:

As a trained and qualified electrical and electronics engineer, with a husband who is a health and safety expert, I'm well on top of this!

My leads are permanently attached to the inside of the tent, coming out at a suitable saftey point and merely 'curl' away with the tent. The lamps that susequently clip discreetly in after erection of the tent, are plastic safety lamps that give off no heat.

Outside the tent I have both a unit that comprises both a circuit tester and breaker....you'd be amazed how many poeples house have dodgy electrics (and I'm not risking the 'health' of either the lamps or my compressor!). Both my lights and compressors plug into the tester/breaker, and that connects to a single power source.

I had 2 or 3 tan technicians used to come mobile to me, before I started doing tanning, and was constantly amazed at them asking for extension leads and whether I could move table lamps around to improve their lighting. I take no chances and ensure I am perfectly equipped. IMO its best to be so to ensure a professional service.

However Collin is completely right...it does pose risks, so if you aren't 100% sure on your H&S of using any electrical equipment....best not to do so!

no probs with the new lights i have they ar 25 led bright lights that are magnetic so will fit on the tent were ever you want run on 4 x aaa batteries

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to use lights in your tent

1)ensure you use low energy ones that dont get hot as these could explode.
2) ensure the plugtop has the correct fuse rating(3-5amp max) and preferably fit a RCCD to the lead plugtop to give extra protection.
3) make sure the lead is safely tucked out of the way thus avoiding anyone tripping..ideal if you have the tent with the ventilation extract flap at the back so you can run the lead through the back of the tent
4)avoid using lights if you can due to above hazzards.

By virtue of the fact you are creating a hazardus working area make sure you dont cut any corners with safety...under the "electricity at work act" you hvae a legal obligation to afford a safe enviroment for the consumer to visit/use your facilities...you are lible in the event of an accident through neglegence.

Just as a footnote you are also required under this legislation to have all portable items of equipment electrically (PAT)tested yearly ..I.E. your spraytan equipment itself,if you use an extract module and really even the lamps you are installing...basically PAT testing regulations cover any portable item of equipment that you plug in weather you are spraying in your home,your clients home or your salon.

Simply look in yellow pages under electrical contractors(I used to be one)or appliance repair companies and get them in to do the test and certification for you..it isn't that expensive.
Be safe and happy spraying :hug:

Latest posts

Back