Spray tans & new tattoos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen-Nail Tech

Reaction score
I have a client that has had a tattoo finished off today. She's got Christmas party on Tuesday night and has been booked in for ages for a spray tan on Monday.

I've been a bit worried still learning that she was having the tattoo finished today and looking for some advice as to whether it will be ok.

I phoned Nouvatan this morning and spoke to the lovely Dawn who said that obviously it's likely the tan will stick to the scab and therefore to make the client aware that when it fades it will probably fade uneven in that area (client is fine with that as she will be covered up after this party anyway)

I'm thinking about putting the barrier cream over the tattoo but is it possible that it will discolour the tattoo? (It's a pink butterfly)

If anyone has been in this situation if you could let me know that would be great

Thanks in advance

x

I would leave it alone. The barrier cream will soften the scabs and may cause scarring or make a difference to the tattoo if scab is knocked off. Follow Dawns advice :)

I have had to tan over a new tatoo (24 hours old) as it was for a wedding and I applied a nice layer of vaseline over the tatoo using cotton buds on sticks and then sprayed as normal. The vaseline protected the tatoo and the tan just washed off the area when showering off.

The tan looked fab after wash off and there was no harm to the tatoo either as they often use vaseline to protect the skin after a tatoo.

If your carefull enough applying the vaseline then the tan can go right up to the edge of the tatoo and the tan will not look like you have missed the area or covered it over.

Bepanthan is often recommended for tats, and should act as a barrier cream too?

I'd be more inclined to go for bepanthen as a barrier cream as opposed to vaseline as vaseline stops air getting to the healing tattoo.

Hopefully the client has been given or has bought a cream to apply to the tattoo whilst healing and you can tell her to bring that along
Xx

Sent from my GT-I8150 using SalonGeek

Thank you all for your advice. The client has just texted:

Tattooist has suggested that I put my cream on my tattoos before you do spray tan. This will put a barrier to stop as much as poss of the spray tan sticking to tattoo. The tattoo should be closed and just like bad dry skin by Monday so cream keeps it supple and it'll be protected from the spray tan. He doesn't think it'll come to any harm with the spray tan either way but cream sounds like a good idea.

As I don't have any tattoos it just through me when I realized it wasn't going to be long before her tan

Thanks again!

x

This is interesting as I thought we shouldn't be spraying new tattoos as its broken skin?

You are correct we should not spray on a new tattoo.

The reason I used vaseline was because it is a total barrier and would 100% stop the tanning solution from entering the blood stream (as tanning solution is only approved for external use which is why we are not to spray on broken skin).

Latest posts

Back