Staff handbook, what's the one rule you wouldn't do without!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujojones

Reaction score
hi geeks!

Im currently drafting my new staff handbook for the salon, (beauty) regarding professionalism, treatments, uniform etc: and it got me thinking that there are some things that really annoy me! ie - wearing varnish we dont stock, leaving clients in a room alone ie when tint /mask etc developing ..... soo geeks.....

if you had to pick one rule that really has to stick what would it be!! :idea:

No phones on the shop floor!

Punctuality is an absolute MUST.

And I absolutely agree with the wearing/use of products you dont stock. If plausible the therapists should be using/promoting what you stock. They might need incentive perhaps in the from of discount but it does work.

Also I have a therapist friend who does mobile work on the side and does clients from the salon where she is employed. In my opinion she is risking her job, make sure the staff know this is unacceptable. Different if they had the clients prior to the job though.

Smoking must be done on break times only and well away from outside the salon.

Plus hands must be washed thoroughly after smoking, I had a facial once from a smoker who hadn't washed her hands thoroughly and I could smell the cigarettes throughout!

Michelle

No gum. People chewing gum near me make me wanna puke.

Mobiles annoy me, I don't own a salon or have any staff but when I was in charge of staff I made a point every now and again to check for mobiles and money (I allowed them to carry enough to get a dinner on their break due to a staff member stealing from the till previously).

Agree with smoking, I'm a smoker and I demanded all staff smoked around the back where no one but other shop staff and delivery drivers could see and deodorant was sprayed with hands washed after Having one.

I'd say u would need to offer an incentive to be able to put in the nail products part as it can't be expected they pay full price or have to buy a product they may not personally like xoxo

I agree with the smoking, I'm a smoker, and when I worked in the salon us girls had a routine. We moved out in a alley way which was cut off from public, once we had finished we would wash our hands with a lovely soap, spray some perfumes (nothing to over powering just a couple of squirts to smell fresh) and pop in a couple of mints. Quick chew and swallow before we went back in the shop floor. I still do this routine everyday, even at home! So addictive

I think conversation can be a problem too, I once worked alongside a stylist that wanted to talk a about nothing but sex. If someone made a little innocent comment, she Would always turn it into something rude, I used to cringe every time she opened her mouth. She didn't last long, got sacked 3months in but I think its good to state in the beginning that conversations have to be professional.
We had 4 rules when I was training:
No rudeness
No politics
No religion
And no opinions that are too personal.

I stand by these rules every day, cause these are 4 types of conversations that can all be taken the wrong way!

politeness and speaking correctly!!no slang etc

no talking about personal life in detail in front of clients - i hate this

i think a perk of the job is to be able to get your waxing and your nails done in salon, this way therapist looks good and can promote nail services - set aside one eve or something a week where they have to do each other

xxx

Definitely no smelling of smoke! You cant insist they dont smoke but you can insist they dont return to the salon smelling of it. Also perfect presentation is a must, the client will not want to be touched by you if you smell or look dirty, any decent therapist should have pride in their appearance anyway.

Don't ever add or accept a client on facebook. My last nail tech almost ruined me last year using facebook to steal clients.

As for promoting our services, my staff get salon treatments very cheap the only catch is they have to be done when there are no clients wanting an appointment. We usually stay back late once a month to do our hair on our own time.

Agree with above posts about smoking (and yes, I am a smoker!).

Also, strict limits on amount of friends and family "popping" in for a chat (not banning completely as they are potential clients), but NO friends hanging around right outside waiting for lunch breaks / end of shifts - it looks unprofessional and can be intimidating for clients. They need to wait around the corner / across the road etc .............

No discussing wages between the staff - a sure fire way to breed dissent!

I worked with a girl (no longer thank god!) who when there was no clients in would go for a sleep on the bed!!
I also hate laziness! If something needs cleaning or tidying i clean it! I maybe slightly ocd but i think you have to be in this business!

Mine is hygiene, have a clean eye for detail, clean up after a client. i just cant stand a messy salon. If you see a bit of hair on the floor or wax/talc whatever clean it up if you have time. Its a team enviroment and well it brings the whole team down if one person cant clean up after themselves! xoxo

Latest posts

Back