Star nail course! any good???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum2one&bump

Reaction score
Hi,
After looking through EVERY single nail course available i have decided i want to do a course which teaches me almost everything in one go, its called total technician and its run by star nails at Ellisons academy!

Has anyone done this or knows anything about it? its alot of money for me to pick the wrong course!!
I don't have any nail qualifications or previous experience so really want the best most informative course
ANY advice would be very much appreciated! :confused:
Thanks
Samantha

i done this course quite a few years back and loved it :)

Hi, I'd think very carefully about this if I were you. :hug: For most of us, one system at a time is more than sufficient. It might seem like good value, getting an overview of them all in the one hit, but it takes a long time and a hell of a lot of practise for most techs to become even halfway proficient at just the one system!

Personally, I would research all the major nail companies and opt for launching yourself with a liquid and powder foundation type course.

Ultimately it's your decision, of course, but you may well find you're metaphorically biting off more nails than you can possibly chew to do otherwise!

Good luck! :)

Hi Samantha

I am also in Coventry and struggling to find the right course, so many conflicting opinions.

I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do in the end please.

Sorry I haven't been much help here!

Diane

I wonder if either of you has looked at the 'articles' section here on the site?

If you go to the navigation link on the left at the top of the page and clikc on it then go to the articles section and look under the 'training' articles, you will find many that will help you with the information you are seeking.

There is a 'System comparison' article and many on choosing the right system/training etc etc.

The articles section of the site is invaluable to new geeks and you will learn much there. Good luck.

Ellison's in Coventry also provide CND training as well hth x

Thanks for replies!
Ok back to square one i think lol
I do have the info which arrived today for the CND course at Ellisons and it costs over £600 just for the liquid & powder training which i felt was alot for such a limited course.
But i do appreciate that the intensive course maybe too much too fast!
I am the sort of person that thinks if i'm gonna do something i'm gonna do it right and give it my all which is why i wanted to learn everything in one go, but now i'm thinking differently!!
If i trained just in manicure and liquid powder course, would i be able to go straight into a salon and rent a table? would they expect me to be able to offer all their treatments?

Such a hard decision, because i really want to make this work and ultimately thats down to the course i choose!!!

Thanks for replies!
Ok back to square one i think lol
I do have the info which arrived today for the CND course at Ellisons and it costs over £600 just for the liquid & powder training which i felt was alot for such a limited course.
But i do appreciate that the intensive course maybe too much too fast!
I am the sort of person that thinks if i'm gonna do something i'm gonna do it right and give it my all which is why i wanted to learn everything in one go, but now i'm thinking differently!!
If i trained just in manicure and liquid powder course, would i be able to go straight into a salon and rent a table? would they expect me to be able to offer all their treatments?

Such a hard decision, because i really want to make this work and ultimately thats down to the course i choose!!!

You are right about this at any rate!!

CND courses have THE reputation in the industry for being the best, which I'm sure you must know. Better to learn one system thoroughly and gain competency than many and not be competent at any of them. the CND course is extremely value added with the products included and is not considered expensive at all in fact it is probably one of the best value courses around at a realistic price and the best training for your future development. Don't listen to me! :lol: Do a search and see how many say the same.

After 6 years as the premier site for nails salon geek has heard thousands of tales of woe from those who started out with training that did not prepare them to actually go out and make nails work for them. THEN they found the CND course that set them on the road to success. Much useless money down the drain. In these times it would be a good time to listen well and learn by others' disappointments.

It may have changed but when i done it the course consisted of L&P OR gel OR silk not all systems !the total tech part was mani, pedi L&P and nail art ! hope this helps x

Lisa2009, yes you are right, it says they show you briefly all systems, then you choose which one you would like to concentrate on, but i like the fact that you get a little insite into the other systems at the same time!
I don't expect to be able to do all systems perfectly after training but i would like to know about them if that makes sense!
I have looked at the articles page and yes it does agree that intensive courses should be avoided, but with this course it shows you them all but makes you competent in one mainly! which i really like the idea of, and you do 3 days in a row, then you go back 2 weeks after (after lots of practice) and then i think its a month after that, so they really are ensuring that you are progrssing rather than some courses i have come across that you do 2 days then its good bye forever!
And i am planning on doing the manicure course first which is a one day course
xx

Hey hun
Please take on board what Geeg has said, I trained in Star Nails at college and what a mistake I made the tutor was clueless that was in 1999, I have spent a fortune updating my skills since, if I was given this advice when I began I would of chosen differently, at the end of the day it is your money that you are investing in what will be a satisfying yet profitable career but do research hun and dont rush in wanting to learn it all as I for one regretted wanting to know it all, the basics you need are manicure, pedicure is a bonus then your chosen nail system with the back up support if needed with trainers who care.

hth
Sue x

Hey hun
Please take on board what Geeg has said, I trained in Star Nails at college and what a mistake I made the tutor was clueless that was in 1999, I have spent a fortune updating my skills since, if I was given this advice when I began I would of chosen differently, at the end of the day it is your money that you are investing in what will be a satisfying yet profitable career but do research hun and dont rush in wanting to learn it all as I for one regretted wanting to know it all, the basics you need are manicure, pedicure is a bonus then your chosen nail system with the back up support if needed with trainers who care.

hth
Sue x

I agree, do think carefully. Do you want a 'High end' brand from the outset, or do you want to run the risk <as so many have before you> of having to convert later on because you come to realise that your products and training opportunities for the future might not be all you'd hoped for? :hug:

Hi sue,
If i just did manicure, and powder liquid, would i be able to work as a nail tech straight away? And then do short courses in others like nail art when i have established i am competant in that?
I certainly hear where you are all coming from and i am taking it on board and i appreciate it, i had my mind made up now i seriously questioning it!
at the end of the day i don't know anything about the industry at the moment and you guys do so be a blunt as you like lol

Hi sue,
If i just did manicure, and powder liquid, would i be able to work as a nail tech straight away? You could certainly try and offer your services to the public. Whether or not you'd get any takers or repeat customers is another matter. Not very many techs come out of their basic training with all singing/all dancing skills or timings. It takes a hell of a lot of practise and more training to be able to do that! :hug:And then do short courses in others like nail art when i have established i am competant in that? A foundation course is what it says, a starting point upon which to build with more training. It gets you out of the starting blocks, it isn't an end in itself.
I certainly hear where you are all coming from and i am taking it on board and i appreciate it, i had my mind made up now i seriously questioning it!
at the end of the day i don't know anything about the industry at the moment and you guys do so be a blunt as you like lol
Do a search on here, mum2one, and see what others have to say about training and products before committing your time and money to anything. :hug:

Hi sue,
If i just did manicure, and powder liquid, would i be able to work as a nail tech straight away? And then do short courses in others like nail art when i have established i am competant in that?

I did the CND Foundation course in August 04, practised like mad on a few guinea pigs and launched my mobile business in January 05. Looking back I feel a bit sorry for those first clients, but to be fair it was mainly my times that needed improving and that came with more regular work. I then did further training along the way and I still am more than 4 years later!

Nails is not easy and you need a good solid foundation of training, added to dedication and practice to make a good Nail Tech. I echo the recommendations for CND training but please don't think you will finish the course as a 'working' tech. Saying that the CND Foundation will give you the skills to launch a business or rent a table when you've honed your skills a bit!

hth's

Check out the CND spa mani and pedi course. You buy the kit and the training is free. x

I'm certainly not expecting to come out of training on the friday and start working on the monday!
I am 4 months pregnant at the moment and plan to practice alot during the pregnancy and offer treatments to friends and family until lil one is a few months old when i plan to find work in a salon or as a mobile!
My question being, is a foundation course sufficient?
Looking further into the course, it says day one is manicure, if i did a manicure course first this would take one day, then 4 days of extensions, again, if i did this separately at a different ime it would be the same length and the final day is nail art, which again is a single day course separately, my point being, they aren't cramming the course into a couple of days like some, they are just providing it as a 'package deal' if you like.
I don't plan to provide nail art when i qualify, i'd be happy to do another course in a couple of years when i'm better at extensions and manicure, because thats what i want to be able to work as for the time being!
Marioned-i can't find any info on that, where did you find that out?-thanks
x

Last edited:
Give Sweet Squared a call if you don't have the training brochure. They'll gve you all the info and take good care of you. The products are so lovely too, with gorgeous scents.

Thanks!
Well thats star nails out of the running now anyway if they are going bust! LOL

Just in regards to your question about courses at Ellison's, I have previously trained with Star Nails and the trainers were fantastic!! Ellison's is a great cash and carry and staff are really friendly. I still use Star Nail's now for my Gel's, and other bits and order on a regular basis. Their website is good and they have just re packaged everything. if you look at their website www.unitedbeauty.co.uk I think.. I asked one of the ladies on the phone a few weeks ago what was happening as their seems to be a lot of rumours and I was concerned also. But she said for me not to worry. They are not having any problems and are not going to stop trading.

I hope this gives you some hope, always give them a call if your not sure.

Latest posts

Back