Starting a mobile beauty business!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisabast

Reaction score
hi all im new to this so be kind!

Im just finishing training in a range of beauty treatments and would really love to go mobile and have my own little business, im just a little stuck on how to get started and get the ball rolling....where and how to advertise...how long would it take to build a client base.....minimun call out fees?! so many questions :lol:

how many geeks are mobile and is it worth it?

thanks!!
lisa xxx

Hi,

It's only my personal opinion, but the best thing to start off would be to do some work on your friends, even if you charge them minimal fee get them to spread the word, start working on them do your best, you could also advertise in local papers or free ad sites and minimum call out fee should depend on the distance you are willing to travel. Browse other threads on the site, use search button with key words and believe me you'll find loads of information on starting out. Do the best you can and the ball will start rolling in no time, oh, and most importantly, get an insurance and don't forget to mention it in your ads. Do not do what you are not trained to do, but do the best you can to leave a good impression

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

thankyou thats great xx

Hi Lisa! Last year I started out as a mobile therapist and think I did quite well doing what I did but I think it will depend on your area and what you are prepared to do.

From the start I settled on a minimum charge of £10 and clients were always good about making sure they had treatments that came to more than £10. The bottom of my leaflet says simply "Minimum treatment charge £10".

When I first started I had a professional website made which was invaluable - but I appreciate that maybe you might need to earn some before you can invest it back into a website. But make that a priority when you can as half my new clients still come from my website. The other half generally come from word of mouth.

The other thing I did when I started up, was to create at home a price list with some engaging reasons why they should use my services including "[FONT=&quot]Luxury and convenience to your door at a time that suits you![/FONT]" and then alongside all my prices - which were comparable to the high end prices in my area as I was using quality products - they were all lightly crossed out and half prices were written in with a title that the special offer was for such and such a month only. Boy was I busy that month! And from that came a core of clients that kept me coming back to them.

I have leafletted several times since and included no reduced prices but an overall first timers discount of 25% off the total treatment cost. And I have a running special offer on a specific treatment.

From the beginning I had business cards with a loyalty scheme on the back so that I dated each of the eight boxes for every single treatment they have - even if it was a low cost one and then they can save their full up card for a 50% discount on any treatment even if it is the most expensive! Clients keep my card!!!!

I also had a referral scheme so if you refer a friend who has a session then you get 25% off a whole treatment session.

Yes, lots of discounts but I do have quite a client base and at some point when I am feeling much more solid in my work and my clients I will pull back on some of the incentives but don't think I will ever withdraw the loyalty scheme as they keep my card even if it is months later.

The other thing to work out is what hours and days you are prepared to work. I am old in the tooth and do not have young children to work around so am happy to work any day of the week as long as I am finished by 9pm and have not worked back to back from early to late and only work say five days in any one week. My clients love it that I can come to them when they have finished work.

The other thing is to work out what distance you are prepared to travel. I have pulled in my distances since I started. If you leaflet then you are most likely to travel to those areas you have leafletted. And finally, do not make any judgement about the area you are leafletting ie. the rich areas do not necessarily bear fruit and the rougher areas contain gems.

Am happy to answer questions on here. Caroline x

They sell them in' capital too and you can have a look before you buy xx

thanks caroline, thats definatly given me a boost, thanks for sharing all your fab ideas xx

hi there, i have found your advice really good. i had my conservatory decorated but am afraid that people will not come as it is at a house not a professional salon, so have thought about doing mobile again. I disliked mobile as i found it dark in their houses and so will have to buy a light. Also wanted to know if you also took a table for waxing and giving facials. I am just put off as i like to have lots of surface space and some people have small areas to work in. Any advice will be really appreciated:Grope:.

I'm mobile the moment but I don't like it, I'm only doing it to gain a client base then am going to rent a room/salon after Xmas. I find when I'm tanning, the light isn't always great in people's houses, and carrying all the stuff about is more hassle sometimes than what it's worth! I do think you need to give it a go and see if it's right for you though, you might like it hth

hi there, i have found your advice really good. i had my conservatory decorated but am afraid that people will not come as it is at a house not a professional salon, so have thought about doing mobile again. I disliked mobile as i found it dark in their houses and so will have to buy a light. Also wanted to know if you also took a table for waxing and giving facials. I am just put off as i like to have lots of surface space and some people have small areas to work in. Any advice will be really appreciated:Grope:.

Hi Julia,
How have you found this? I see this is years old so forgive me, but I am looking to do half mobile and half from my home, however instead of a conservatory like yourself it would be in a spare bedroom?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back