Starting college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarabo

Reaction score
Hi everyone as the heading says I'm starting college next month and I am soooo nervous , I'm 35 and currently working self employed as a nail tech but I want to add other services and I have always wanted to do a beauty course . I found myself unemployed after having my daughter last July and decided to take the leap , and while I am sooo excited and can't wait to get started I am really really nervous . It's daunting to think I'll be sat in the classroom with girls fresh out of school 😬, is anyone else in the same boat ! I'm also trying not to think about how I'm going to juggle my clients with college and childcare and running a home , just thought if anyone else was in the same boat we could offer each other some moral support or if you have been in this position and made it out the other side do you have any words of wisdom ?? Xx

Like you, I did full time college later in life. I started at the age of 37 and loved every minute. I was in a group of mature students and ones with children. They were a great bunch.
I made the decision to learn all I could. I have said on this forum before that a fellow student complained at being taught to fold towels. I just got on with it!

I already had reflexology and aromatherapy so had to fit my existing clients in. They all tried to be flexible as they knew what I was doing and many of them are still clients now!

Have fun

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Like you, I did full time college later in life. I started at the age of 37 and loved every minute. I was in a group of mature students and ones with children. They were a great bunch.
I made the decision to learn all I could. I have said on this forum before that a fellow student complained at being taught to fold towels. I just got on with it!

I already had reflexology and aromatherapy so had to fit my existing clients in. They all tried to be flexible as they knew what I was doing and many of them are still clients now!

Have fun

Vicki x

Thanks for replying Vicki , it's good to get other peoples experiences , at the interview it was mostly school leavers with a couple of girls maybe early twenties but I know there will have been other interview groups so I'm hoping for a couple more my age range lol . I can't wait to start and I'm not afraid of mucking in and getting my hands dirty , I just want to learn as much and soak in as much as I possibly can xx Claire xx

Good for you Claire. You have the right attitude so go for it. :)

Good for you Claire. You have the right attitude so go for it. :)

Thank you xxxx

Hi everyone as the heading says I'm starting college next month and I am soooo nervous , I'm 35 and currently working self employed as a nail tech but I want to add other services and I have always wanted to do a beauty course . I found myself unemployed after having my daughter last July and decided to take the leap , and while I am sooo excited and can't wait to get started I am really really nervous . It's daunting to think I'll be sat in the classroom with girls fresh out of school 😬, is anyone else in the same boat ! I'm also trying not to think about how I'm going to juggle my clients with college and childcare and running a home , just thought if anyone else was in the same boat we could offer each other some moral support or if you have been in this position and made it out the other side do you have any words of wisdom ?? Xx

I didn't start my beauty training until I was 41, I was the oldest on the course, older than the tutor but I had a fabulous experience, ended up being in the college prospectus as a way of encouraging other more mature students to train for new careers. The tutor will love you and the younger students will love you, you'll have a blast :)

Jude x

I retrained at 33 , the best thing I ever did and I have no doubt the best thing you will
Do , being a mature student is ace ! I opened my salon the day after I qualified level 3 and never looked back , enjoy every min and good luck ! Xxx

I didn't start my beauty training until I was 41, I was the oldest on the course, older than the tutor but I had a fabulous experience, ended up being in the college prospectus as a way of encouraging other more mature students to train for new careers. The tutor will love you and the younger students will love you, you'll have a blast :)

Jude x

Thank you so much Jude , just need to figure out how I'm going to juggle everything , I guess it will all fall into place ( well that's the hope anyway ) haha xxx

I retrained at 33 , the best thing I ever did and I have no doubt the best thing you will
Do , being a mature student is ace ! I opened my salon the day after I qualified level 3 and never looked back , enjoy every min and good luck ! Xxx

Thanks for the reply , I was excited before but now I can't wait !!! Xxx

I was 27 when I started my training I was worried I would be the oldest one but in all honesty there was a good mix of ages x

I was 27 when I started my training I was worried I would be the oldest one but in all honesty there was a good mix of ages x

That's what I'm hoping for , it's fine if I'm the oldest I'm just hoping it's not all 16 year olds haha xxx

I too am starting in September and I'm very excited but nervous at the same time. I'm 30 with 2 little ones and a part time job in admin. It's nice to hear of others who are in the same boat and also who have done it as a mature student. I can't wait to just get stuck in now and do something I'm passionate about 😊

I too am starting in September and I'm very excited but nervous at the same time. I'm 30 with 2 little ones and a part time job in admin. It's nice to hear of others who are in the same boat and also who have done it as a mature student. I can't wait to just get stuck in now and do something I'm passionate about 😊

Thanks for taking the time to reply , I have two wee ones as well and it's daunting but very very exciting , good luck with your course xx

Hi

I am returning after 10 years to complete my level 3 in September . I am 30 and i knew it was time to start thinking of myself again . I have met my class and i am one of the youngest which i was very surprised at , i think only 4 or five were younger than me. I thinki what you are doing is great and well done

Most collages will do a 16-19 class then a 20+ class it works really well as you'll find people in your class will be in the same situation as you good luck! I did the beauty course it was so rewarding hope you love it x

Hi

I am returning after 10 years to complete my level 3 in September . I am 30 and i knew it was time to start thinking of myself again . I have met my class and i am one of the youngest which i was very surprised at , i think only 4 or five were younger than me. I thinki what you are doing is great and well done

Thank you and same to you , I agree that when you have kids you def need something for yourself where your not just someone's mummy or someone's partner ( although I do love being these things ) , congrats on returning after 10 years , I think it would be great to hear how we all get on 😊😊 xx

Most collages will do a 16-19 class then a 20+ class it works really well as you'll find people in your class will be in the same situation as you good luck! I did the beauty course it was so rewarding hope you love it x

Thank you I can't wait now , I'm literally counting down the days haha xxxx

Hi - I started my beauty training (part-time - evenings) last year at the tender age of 40. I was also nervous but it was fantastic - loved learning and honing my new skills.

I start back at college in 5/6 weeks time to begin my level 3 massage route course. I'm super excited as I've missed learning new things.

I'm employed full-time, have a home and son to maintain - it can get a little stressful but those times will pass and the friendships with 'beauty buddies' and tutors outweigh all the moments. If I could offer a little advice - don't get behind on assignments or revising - I know its easy to say but work can soon back-up. Practice, practice, practice - this will make life so much easier when you come to practical assessments - I bought a beauty bed off ebay and started offering free treatments to friends etc. just to get the routines etc. off by heart. I passed all my assessments first time :)

I really wish you luck - its the best thing I've ever done and can't wait to get back in September :)

I too am starting a beauty course in October after 20 years nursing. I'm 38 in October. Good luck.

What financial support did u all have? Im 24 and in a full time job and im wanting to go back college but im worried about how in going to be able to pay my bills 😰 very difficult

Latest posts

Back