Starting soap business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nydia

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planing to start a business, from home. I make soaps at home and used to distribute it to friends and family, and they all loved it. So now planning to make it professional. A regional store nearby has agreed to keep my home made soaps there for sale. So, I have to get it packed beautifully, in such a manner that customers get attracted. But, I didn’t know of any such packing company which gets it done for wholesale. So, one of my friend has suggested a creative packaging company,http://www.clearpak.com/ and they do packing for beauty products, and get it done in wholesale. Now, I wanted some ideas for how to get it packed, like the design. And probably, a name too. Any ideas ????

Last edited:
I used to do this. Made proper soap. Laboratory tested and all. Had to stop as I could not compete with £0.25 soap from shop. I hope your business runs better and wish u all the best. I am still missing it. X

Professional printed/produced packaging is expensive. More so in low volumes which I'm guessing would be the case initially. Once you've done all your testing etc maybe they can put you on to some people? I know it's something we can design and produce but depends on quantity etc. The problem is getting it down to a reasonable cost as it probably digs into an already slim margin and without ordering a large quantity, that is very difficult.

Yep...i did this too... very hard work.... although i did enjoy the craft fairs... i still make soap just for myself....

Im assuming your making soap from scratch and not using that melt n pour stuff....

I'm also assuming that your recipe has been safety assessed.... this is essential if you are selling hand made cosmetics.

Packaging can be dome at home .. depending on the volume... and can still look professional . .. shabby chic is quite in at the mo

As for names..... i can put a few suggestions ...
Soap shack
Sudz n bubbles
Miss soapy (packaging 1940s/50s style)
Nydia Soaps
Nydia handmade cosmetics
The place where you live...soap room eg Toronto soap room/shed

Brst of luck....

Have a look at what your competitors in the "Artisan Soap" market are doing. I used to buy wholesale from a similar business to yours and they packaged the soaps in packaging available off-the-shelf: like the below.

Self-seal cello bags like greetings cards are sold in, or slightly heavier bags like sweets are sold in (see eBay, plenty of small sizes available) and self-adhesive labels with branding on, from Vistaprint or similar seem appropriate it you're starting on a smallish scale.

Get the labels nicely printed with a professional branding and it will look pretty good and, importantly, "Artisan" not "Home-made" ;-)

I use cello bags and a folded A4 insert for a product I sell (nothing beauty related). I started out printing the inserts on my home laser printer and only got them professionally printed when I could justify a print run of 1,000. Looks pretty professional.

"I could not compete with £0.25 soap from shop"

Honestly, why were you even trying? Handmade soap = totally different product that should have been aimed at the "luxury artisan" market.

"I could not compete with £0.25 soap from shop"

Honestly, why were you even trying? Handmade soap = totally different product that should have been aimed at the "luxury artisan" market.

The OP hasn’t come back to Salon Geek since shortly after posting in 2016, so hopefully she was able to make a success of the venture? ;)

Latest posts

Back