Starting up...mobile or home based?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
Hi geeks:) wondered if you could give me your advice and experiences when you first started out.

I have not started 'working' on paying clients yet but hope to do so in a couple of months. I was going to start off going mobile but with 3 young children and my husband about to start a 2-year contract working abroad, this restricts the amount of hours and times I'm able to work, ie. not able to go out in the evenings and weekends.

I have been toying with the idea of converting my garage into a home salon and Violet Star's thread yesterday sparked new thoughts on the subject again.

So, what I'd like your advice on is...do I start doing a bit of mobile in order to build up a client base OR do I just bite the bullet and start as I mean to go on?

My concerns are that in this current climate, is it safer to go mobile because there is less set up costs to converting my garage which will cost more. Do I start mobiles and then convert the garage? Will I loose the 'mobile' clients when I change to working from home because they will loose the convenience of having someone to their home. Oh decisions, decisions!

Sorry for so many questions. I would really appreciate your advice and experiences. Thank you in advance x:)

Hi geeks:) wondered if you could give me your advice and experiences when you first started out.

I have not started 'working' on paying clients yet but hope to do so in a couple of months. I was going to start off going mobile but with 3 young children and my husband about to start a 2-year contract working abroad, this restricts the amount of hours and times I'm able to work, ie. not able to go out in the evenings and weekends.

I have been toying with the idea of converting my garage into a home salon and Violet Star's thread yesterday sparked new thoughts on the subject again.

So, what I'd like your advice on is...do I start doing a bit of mobile in order to build up a client base OR do I just bite the bullet and start as I mean to go on?

My concerns are that in this current climate, is it safer to go mobile because there is less set up costs to converting my garage which will cost more. Do I start mobiles and then convert the garage? Will I loose the 'mobile' clients when I change to working from home because they will loose the convenience of having someone to their home. Oh decisions, decisions!

Sorry for so many questions. I would really appreciate your advice and experiences. Thank you in advance x:)

Hi Sweetie!! I tried mobile when i first started in 2007 but found this very hard due to myself not driving and heavy equiptment and to be honest i dont feel comfortable in going to other peoples homes.

What you could do is do both! Perhaps you can bite the bullet and do it home based and also do mobile say 2 days a week and only take mobile bookings for them two days and the rest people come to you!

I do prefer home based its much easier for me and my clients are also happy with this.

You need to do what is easier for you, otherwise you dont want to start something and you think my gosh its too hard its best to take the option that is easier with you.

Of course id say garage conversion would be great, its so personal and very much like a salon.

hths and much luck to you in whatever you chose to do
xx

Hi,
I work from home and have found it a really hard slog getting a client base, I think it would have been better to have been mobile as well if not entirely for a while, I am considering offering some mobile treatments.
I was going to convert my garage but decided to use a room in the house instead, after about 3 months some one reported me to the council as operating a business from domestic premises and I was investigated, luckily it was decided that what I was doing was OK and that I didn't have enough clients to effect my neighbours. I could have spent thousands converting the garage only to be told I couldn't work from there! Be warned!
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Amanda

I got reported last year by my neighbour for working from home. I was deffinately only practicing and no money was passing hands which my neighbour was well aware of as she was one of the people I was practicing on. However, when she told me what she had done, and that she felt duty bound as she was a member of the local parish council, I contacted my local city council immediately and explained my position and I found them really helpful. Every city council has different requirements but mine where really helpful and explained their regulations, which I had not broken at all, but I would agree as I know some are quite harsh so just contact yours first to make sure. hthxx

Thank you for your replies.
If I was going to convert the garage, I would definately want to contact the council to see what I need in terms of license etc. I think you would need to let them know that you're changing the use of the garage and will be using it as a business premises and possibly pay business rates etc.:eek:
I was more worried about the difficuty of gaining clients from a home based salon versus being mobile? What benefit is it for the client visiting you at a home salon to going to a high street salon? Either way, they would still need to leave home lol. Maybe parking is an issue but is it enough? I know lots of you geeks have home based salons but did you start out being mobile first?
Thanks x

Thank you for your replies.
If I was going to convert the garage, I would definately want to contact the council to see what I need in terms of license etc. I think you would need to let them know that you're changing the use of the garage and will be using it as a business premises and possibly pay business rates etc.:eek:
I was more worried about the difficuty of gaining clients from a home based salon versus being mobile? What benefit is it for the client visiting you at a home salon to going to a high street salon? Either way, they would still need to leave home lol. Maybe parking is an issue but is it enough? I know lots of you geeks have home based salons but did you start out being mobile first?
Thanks x

They will come to you if you advertise that you can give them more time and personal attention than a high street salon. That they will not be rushed and that parking is hassle free. Also that you use professional products and follow hygene procedures. Oh and then of course you need to do all these things:lol: they will return because they like you and your treatments and you treat them as if they really matter to you. :hug:

I think in terms of attracting client's everything that weezie has said, if you decide to work from home you can offer quiet time out, away from their home; a place for them to relax and receive one to one personal attention. You could also try and contact local schools and playgroups as you have young children, they quite often put on fund raising events that you could do simple treatments at and then give out business cards, price lists etc with incentives for follow up treatments.

As far as local council are concerned you need to check even if you are not converting a garage but working from your own home as they are all different and if the room you are using is for the sole purpose of a home salon with a non colapsable couch my council would view this differently than a room used for dual pupose salon and domestic use. That still does not mean you will be charged business rates there are a lot of different factors and if you are honest and up front there is no come back, so it is best to check then you can decide what you want to do. Just best to cover yourself then there is not an issue in the future. Most of the time they don't seem that interested providing you are not piercing (that would be a health and safety issue I was told) and employing other people to work with you, then that would be a different issue to. There has been other threads on here in the past and all councils seem different. Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back