Stay put or go to college full time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyann

Reaction score
This evening I went to the open day at the local college to see about the beauty therapy courses they offer. They do either full time nvq level 2 which is one year or part time evening which is 2 years. The thing is, I currently work (and have done for the past 7 years) as an assistant manager in a pet food store. I can't do the part time evening as it starts at 5:30pm, I don't finnish until 6pm and there's no way I can change this. So this leaves me with the full time option.

I'm not even sure what advice I'm asking for!?:rolleyes: Here's what I can do:

Take the plunge and go for the full time course, give up my job and try to find part time. The thing with this is I will be dropping a considerable amount of money each month. My partner says we could get by and is very supportive.

OR I could stay in my current employment, which, to put bluntly I can't stand anymore:eek:

Will quitting my job and being a full time student be worth it in the long run? Has anyone else been in the same situation? My main concern is having less money, and finding a part time job, and I suppose I am so used to my current job I scared of leaving!

Even though the course is full time you may well find it is only about 18 hours a week i think thats the least they have to be to be classed as full time.You will possibly only have to do 2 and a half days a week this leaves you quite a few hours to work.Of course there is homework but stay on top of it and it won't get too overwhelming.
Then there are lots of holidays and its only actually September to May and then you are done and can do nvq 3 :).
Of course the hours may be totally different to the colleges round here so find out.

I gave up my job and went full time. If you want to do level 3 then you can do level 2 and 3 in 2 yrs. Instead of just one level in that time.
My advice to you would be to go full time,do a spray tanning course and offer that for now to get you a bit of money and then when you have qualified for level 2, you will have clients ready for other treatments too xxx

I gave up my job and went full time. If you want to do level 3 then you can do level 2 and 3 in 2 yrs. Instead of just one level in that time.
My advice to you would be to go full time,do a spray tanning course and offer that for now to get you a bit of money and then when you have qualified for level 2, you will have clients ready for other treatments too xxx

This is what I'd like to do. Right now I'm saving for spray tan kit and training. I hope to to this part time and build up a client base over the next 12 months. All going well I'd have enough coming in that we wouldn't be that hard up if I left my job and went to college full time.

As jobs go mine isn't that bad but I'm bored and end up on here all day.

Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

This is what I'd like to do. Right now I'm saving for spray tan kit and training. I hope to to this part time and build up a client base over the next 12 months. All going well I'd have enough coming in that we wouldn't be that hard up if I left my job and went to college full time.

As jobs go mine isn't that bad but I'm bored and end up on here all day.

Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

It does take time to get your clients but once they know you are good at what you do they recommend you to all of their friends.
It's definitely worth doing. I'm in and out of their house in 30 mins and charge £20.
There are quite times though hun. It isn't this busy all year round.
xxx

It does take time to get your clients but once they know you are good at what you do they recommend you to all of their friends.
It's definitely worth doing. I'm in and out of their house in 30 mins and charge £20.
There are quite times though hun. It isn't this busy all year round.
xxx

I couldn't leave my job unless I knew I'd be able to make a good part time living and I'd take into consideration the quiet times.

Actually I'd leave my job tomorrow and jump in head first, but hubby is the sensible 1 and suggested I do it this way.

Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking of seeing about getting some bar work or something, I'm doing a nail course at the moment so when I have finnished that I can start finding clients, not going to be easy! I think if I can find a part time job to fit round the course we'll be fine, thats the main thing worrying me.

Good thinking about the spray tanning, I was thinking of doing a course for extra cash, there's so many companies out there it's knowing which one to go with!

Latest posts

Back