Sterilising/Disinfecting.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petit Basque

Reaction score
Now that I am qualified and about to embark on World Domination (I wish :D), I thought it would be timely for me to find out what other geeks are doing about sterilising and disinfecting tools, equipment etc....

With my manicure/pedicure tools, tweezers and anything else stainless steel, I thoroughly scrub used tool with nail brush and hot soapy water, place items in a stainless steel pan and pour over boiling water, add a lid and boil for 15 minutes. After this, I place the items straight into a fresh solution of barbicide/hibitane, usally overnight.

With towels and headbands and flannel mitts, I place these on a 60oc wash and after they are dried, they go straight back into my treatment room. Use of my treatment room towels etc is strictly verboten in my house!

With facial sponges, I wash these out with hot water and washing detergent and then soak in diluted sterilising fluid such as Milton.

Do you all think this is hygenic enough. Please no one tell me that I have to buy an autoclave as I simply cannot spend any more money or I will have to sell a kidney or a child or something!!

Your thoughts and opinions welcome :biggrin:

PB
x

With my towels I 90 degree wash just to make sure. With my equipment like tweezers I was going to use barbacide but with my luck being mobile it would spill everywhere so I went for Mundo wipes to wipe them down after each client

as far as I'm aware only pressure and heat sterilises which means an autoclave.
This is only necessary if you are a Surgeon, dentist, body piercer (sp?) or tatooist etc.

As a Beauty Therpist doing non invasive treatments, then sanitising and then Disinfecting in Barbicide is enough.

I believe I am right but please post away if I'm wrong:Love:

Hi Ladies
I recently bought a hot towel cabi that has a sterilising option which I now use quite a lot. I also u barbicide & Precept sterilising tablets for floors, surfaces, pedi & facial bowls etc..
OPI do a non water anti bac spray called NAS 99. Apparently anti bac sprays with water in can still breed bacteria (ew), so this is a fab one. Hot washes for towels etc always good too. Hope that's a bit of help : )

Take a look at the Mundo range, very professional, very effective and a joy to deal with!
xx

After hand-washing mitts and bands in anti-bacterial solution I put them in Milton solution overnight, then rinse well. It's probably not necessary but it keeps them nice and bright.

I have always used Barbicide for my manicure tools. Recently a customer (who has just trained in beauty) has told me her tutor told her she shouldn`t use Barbicide. I asked why, and she couldn`t give a reason. Her tutor told her to use Mundo (which I have tried, and left my tools with rust marks on!!).
Is there something I should know about Barbicide? We used it in college.
All advice and knowledge much appreciated x

I have just had a visit from the enviromental health department of my local council who said that barbicide is fine but must be changed everyday.

Thank you mally123pink ;)

I have always used Barbicide for my manicure tools. Recently a customer (who has just trained in beauty) has told me her tutor told her she shouldn`t use Barbicide. I asked why, and she couldn`t give a reason. Her tutor told her to use Mundo (which I have tried, and left my tools with rust marks on!!).
Is there something I should know about Barbicide? We used it in college.
All advice and knowledge much appreciated x

Hi Pebbles

The thing is with Barbicide is that it is a very old formulation. It may still work against some diseases but the Mundo range has actually been tested to a higher level and is effective against modern diseases as it was made in the last few years, whereas Barbicide was made many years ago. Also I prefer to use the Mundo range because it’s a lot cheaper and goes further - whereas Barbicide has to be changed daily. And regards to rusting - If you leave you intruments in longer than the reccomened time they will rust- but i bought the sweet squared implements and leave them in way longer than supposed to and they have never rusted.

Hope this has helped a little.

Jade x :hug:

Think I might go for mundo too! X

Latest posts

Back