Stiletto or Oval? (pic's)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean where the 'ear' meets the nail at the sidewall?

Now thats more what I'd call a stiletto!

Gorgeous, but sadly, not that practical, as you've already discovered!

Do you mean where the 'ear' meets the nail at the sidewall?

It's the left edge of my left ring finger. I guess I just can't see what I'm doing that well. It's where the free edge starts, if you look at it sideways it has a sharp upward arch.

Oh I get it now!!! How dim am I?! I was looking at the actual nail and not the shape and completely missed that you had altered the shape!!!

Yes, I'd say that was a stiletto now xx

if you use tips you will never get a true stiletto's shape, most tip have enough c-cure, so far the only one that I see pull of a stiletto's with tip is John Hauk, but the tip he use is OPI structure tip, those thing have a 50% c-curve (half circle down the barrel)
true stiletto's need more to be longer than what you have, the form need to be pinch to a point so you sculpt the nail to a point not file it to a point. I also notice you have a little bit of a hip right at free edge, pinch that in will give the nail a more flowing line to the shape.

Love how you use the color, and your smile is very crisp.... check out this video, you can see how the form is bring to a point.
YouTube - nails background 1

if you use tips you will never get a true stiletto's shape, most tip have enough c-cure, so far the only one that I see pull of a stiletto's with tip is John Hauk, but the tip he use is OPI structure tip, those thing have a 50% c-curve (half circle down the barrel)
true stiletto's need more to be longer than what you have, the form need to be pinch to a point so you sculpt the nail to a point not file it to a point. I also notice you have a little bit of a hip right at free edge, pinch that in will give the nail a more flowing line to the shape.

I think there's a whole host of a difference between a 'nail art stiletto' and a 'salon stiletto', and to me the one in the video is fabulous, but is very definitely an art stiletto.

Gigi has a wonderful tutuorial on here, on a tipped stiletto nail, that is just gorgeous and yet totally wearable...in essence what I believe the original poster was probably trying to acheive...

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-art-tutorials/8015-gigis-ruby-red-slipper-stiletto-step-step.html

I think there's a whole host of a difference between a 'nail art stiletto' and a 'salon stiletto', and to me the one in the video is fabulous, but is very definitely an art stiletto.

Gigi has a wonderful tutuorial on here, on a tipped stiletto nail, that is just gorgeous and yet totally wearable...in essence what I believe the original poster was probably trying to acheive...

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-art-tutorials/8015-gigis-ruby-red-slipper-stiletto-step-step.html

I'm sorry, with all due respect to Geeg and that beautiful tutorial, but in my book that is a pointed shape, just like shoes you have high heals , and then you have stiletto's.

I'm sorry, with all due respect to Geeg and that beautiful tutorial, but in my book that is a pointed shape, just like shoes you have high heals , and then you have stiletto's.

I'd still rather have 'shoes' I can wear, than ones that just look good in my wardrobe :hug:

Love how you use the color, and your smile is very crisp.... check out this video, you can see how the form is bring to a point.
YouTube - nails background 1

I couldn't sculpt a stiletto, I'm a gel girl! There is no easy or practical way to squeeze a C-Curve while the gel is "cooking". I use OPI's Structure tips I really love them. This is a "just for fun" nail. I was trying to wrestle the file from my 1 year old (today!) twins. Rotten little things think they get to do everything Mommy does!
Thanks for the advice.

Thank you.

I think it is just a semantic problem. One persons perception vs another's.

I did that tutorial years ago when CND first photographed the stiletto nail (which back then looked pretty extreme :lol:) but was wearable (if you were brave enough). No one had ever seen this look before at the time and many were very critical of it, said it was unpractical and unwearable etc.

Since that time .. many, like yourself have taken the look to an even more extreme level and stiletto has turned into something quite different.

When Jan Arnold of CND first brought the stiletto nail into the limelight, it was as a reflection of what was happening on the catwalks around the world ... Jan is driven by fashion (as we know) and it was a very fun new look. It looks quite 'mild' now compared with the nail you have produced on your nice video!! Two very different things for sure. the 'old' stiletto and the 'new' stiletto. :green:

I couldn't sculpt a stiletto, I'm a gel girl! There is no easy or practical way to squeeze a C-Curve while the gel is "cooking". I use OPI's Structure tips I really love them. This is a "just for fun" nail. I was trying to wrestle the file from my 1 year old (today!) twins. Rotten little things think they get to do everything Mommy does!
Thanks for the advice.

This is not a stiletto's or gel, but you can get one of these tweeter from Micheal's, and use it to pinch gel.
1. blend tip as thin as you can get it, so it won't spring back when you pinch.
2. apply a thin layer of gel, flash cure for 5 sec.
3. use tweeter to pinch and hold shape, and cure in light while you do next finger on other hand.
DSC00878.jpg

This is not a stiletto's or gel, but you can get one of these tweeter from Micheal's, and use it to pinch gel.
1. blend tip as thin as you can get it, so it won't spring back when you pinch.
2. apply a thin layer of gel, flash cure for 5 sec.
3. use tweeter to pinch and hold shape, and cure in light while you do next finger on other hand.

Thanks! I did that a few years ago, but just when I sculpted on myself. I do "salon" nails, I don't do competitions or magazine shoots, so the stuff I do is good for my clients. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you.

I think it is just a semantic problem. One persons perception vs another's.

I did that tutorial years ago when CND first photographed the stiletto nail (which back then looked pretty extreme :lol:) but was wearable (if you were brave enough). No one had ever seen this look before at the time and many were very critical of it, said it was unpractical and unwearable etc.

Since that time .. many, like yourself have taken the look to an even more extreme level and stiletto has turned into something quite different.

When Jan Arnold of CND first brought the stiletto nail into the limelight, it was as a reflection of what was happening on the catwalks around the world ... Jan is driven by fashion (as we know) and it was a very fun new look. It looks quite 'mild' now compared with the nail you have produced on your nice video!! Two very different things for sure. the 'old' stiletto and the 'new' stiletto. :green:

Could agreed with you more on that note...... Here in the US we now have this shape call flare (not my cup of tea) but it also known as duck feet if it's short...... I just hope that it's doesn't catch on, and get any further than the east coast of US, but than again some of us still think that bell bottom is cool. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to meet you at ExCel.:):):)

Latest posts

Back