Stolen products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracemae23

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm so upset one of my most expensive Environ products has been stolen from my shelf at reception. I can't believe it, all my clients are lovely and I get on well with everyone I feel so betrayed. It's so difficult as I work on my own durning the week and my helper works on a Friday and Saturday with me, so I can't keep an eye on everything all the time, my part time staff member will be with me full time next yr after finishing her level 3 at college. This business is my livelihood I'm a single mum and I work so bloody hard to keep it all going as I'm sure you all do regardless of being a single mum or not but omg so annoyed! I'm gonna double check my salon again in case it's been put somewhere but I highly doubt it.
What precautions do you all take to look after your stock from thieves? Do you have cameras fake cameras? I'm gonna have to sort something out. I'm obviously being far too trusting!

Make sure all your display cabinets are lockable. Never leave stock on shelves attended , people will steal , if the temptation is there. If you cant afford to replace your cabinets why not just leave empty boxes on display, with the products locked safely away. xxx

Libbylou that's a great idea! Ill get on that tomorrow thank you xx

That's what I was going to say :)
Just keep the boxes on display if you don't have lockable cabinets. It's very upsetting when this happens. Makes you feel like you can't trust any one these days x

Make a polite notice and state that along the lines that you will prosecute if someone nicks off you, as my police-lady had stated that notices like that can be enforced as they have stolen items.

I had made a notice and made it humorous so noone has bothered since to nick anything... if anything they are shocked that someone would steal of a beauty salon, it just speaks desperate doesn't it?!

As precaution though if you have any idea of who came in those days and keep a close eye on the next visit. And ensure that you have some empty boxes lying around as annoying as it is! xoxo

Sorry, I think notices like that, no matter how amusingly worded, just cheapen the place and make it seem downmarket.

Lockable cabinets or empty boxes would be my choice. A camera is probably ok providing it's very discreet.

If you can't afford or get a lockable glass retail cabinet, may be you could display some empty product bottles instead or empty gift boxes?

If the clients wants to purchase a product or gift box they can take it to reception desk where will be exchanged for the 'real thing' when they come to pay.

The 'real' products can then be safely lock away somewhere else until they are sold.

I used to do this when I was a practice manager in a dental practice with high cost items like electric toothbrushes and water flossers.

The patients took the empty box of the electric toothbrush they wanted to the reception desk, the girls would then exchange the box with one with the item in it when the patient had paid.

Somebody stole my nsi nail soak bowl last week 😭😭 I have cameras in the main salon area but I made the fatal mistake of leaving it in the shower room after I'd washed it

We have just been through hell my old boss (joint partner of the business with my other boss) was sgealing from me!! Out my bag my wages were down all the time only realized who it was a year ago iv been working my arse off for her for 6 years! Sje was stealing from everywhere it wasnt till after when i realized my other boss knew who it was but could never say anything till she had proof! So i stuck a camera in the back (my phone) and pointed it at my bag then caught the bitch twice once routing through it and the second time taking money.. she was stealing from everywhere in the end not only was she stealing she lies about her whole life and was even telling my ither boss it was me who has been stealing! My other boss knowing it was her just couldnt say anything coz she was so much of a bitch! Thats where greed lying and gambling gets you! Dont trust anyone xx

By the way shes gone now and still lies through her teeth about it even though she got caugh in the golf club stealing aswel.. claomed benefit loed about cancer the lot!

I wouldn't put a camera in the Salon, it's an invasion of privacy and may put a lot of people off. Maybe don't have the retail so close to the front of the shop or use the boxes like people have said above.

Don't let one thief stop your from trusting people though, it's good to work openly with trust amongst staff and clients. It creates a friendly atmosphere which clients enjoy. X

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not an invasion of privacy cameras to have cameras in a public place?! They are not just to catch people pinching bits if stock they are also for safety and we were glad of them when someone came in and pointed a gun at someone's head and also when my apprentices phone was stolen by a man pretending to book an appointment. I have signs which are required by law informing people they are on camera and my clients all feel secure in the knowledge that the cameras are there for their safety

We have a camera in the main salon - directed at front door, reception desk and product shelves - definitely not an invasion of privacy and perfectly legal and acceptable so long as you have the appropriate notices in place.

We also keep a mix of full and empty boxes on the shelves.

If I'm in the salon on my own and in a treatment room, I'm afraid I lock the door with a notice in place (very nicely worded) to please call back in 30 minutes or so or call us & leave a message. Not ideal but better than a)leaving a client mid-treatment or b) risking getting expensive stock stolen.

I feel sad for you Gracemae. I work on my own at home and I can't keep checks on clients, I have to trust them. But when I first started, I did have some music CDs go missing. I did once try to keep empty boxes on my display but I am so short on space, it is v difficult to store the products somewhere else, so had to give up on that idea.

I always keep product where somebody will always see it while working on floor as we do our own reception individually by whomever is available. The front desk I found not always manned & close to the front of the shop plus if your digging around in the cash drawer or booking an appt. it makes an easy target for a fast swipe from some1 hovering around the desk.

We will excuse ourselves from our clients for a min as soon as somebody walks in to en quire what their query is no matter what. This acknowledgement of them by sight/voice usually dissuades them from stealing.

Latest posts

Back