Straightening a perm?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tranquility UK

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks.. im a beauty therapist (currently in my last year at college) and one of the hair dressers needs me to go in and have a perm for an assessment, she comes in for my assessments so its only fair if i go in for hers... so what would happen if she permed my hair but one day i want to straighten it? will it reverse the perm or will it go back curly after i wash it??

if you wash it that night it should drop out ..try making sure you blow it straight tho , it will probably have some wave to it tho when wet .. i have seen people not wait the three days and it always usally drops .. but the hair is usually left a bit wavy x

Good advice Dee. Wash it ASAP, leave thick conditioner on and comb it as flat as possible, blow dry it as straight as possible. There's still no guarantee though! You're a good mate, that's for sure! :p:p
Nick

depends how well she perms it, and it also depends on an awful lot of other 'ifs' a permanent wave is exactly that - it breaks the bonds in the hair and neutralizing re-sets them in the curled position. You have to prepare yourself for it not to drop out. you can have it chemically straightened ( if you can find someone to do it) but that will seriously damage your hair, or I guess a brazilian blow dry?
Its a very big ask by your friend if its not something you were considering anyway, it basically has to grow out. Think hard before having it done.:Scared:

Thanks for all the advice but i dont mind having it done and having the wavy hair its just what will happen if i straighten it for one day, will it go back wavy or will i have wasted her hard work?

You cud comb perm lotion thro it, then neutraliser, but that might not leave your hair in great condition. As Penners says there's a lot of ifs and buts! No doubt the one time you don't want a perm to take well it will lol! There is also another what if.......what if you like it?

Thanks for all the advice but i dont mind having it done and having the wavy hair its just what will happen if i straighten it for one day, will it go back wavy or will i have wasted her hard work?

No, you won't have wasted her hard work =) I have a few clients who have perms as they find it easier to manage for every-day wear but then straighten it every now and again. When washed the curl will still be there. The thing to watch out for though is if you've already have any chemical treatments on your hair it will lose some of the elasticity so you'll have to work to put the curl into it (rather than having frizz) each time you wash it. It's perfectly do-able though!

you wont have wasted it perms are fine to straighten every now and then i to have clients who have a perm for everyday wear then on nights out or just for a change they straighten it :) hope your perm looks nice xx

Latest posts

Back