Strange call or legitimate?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
I have been contacted by the police magazine (can't remember the name now) but was told basically its a magazine that's posted around the police force for our area with ads and articles in. They found out Im a new business from the council and offered me to be featured in there magazine. Apparently there was success for someone doing this in Stamford (30miles from me) and she receives 27.5 calls per week average taken from the last 10 months. All i have to pay £95 for my ad?
What do you ladies think? X x

I never take up any advertising where a company contacts you. If I want to advertise I look into where I want to do it. There's so many scams around & of course they're going to say she gets 27 calls a week from it, they want your money! Hope that helps x

There is a police magazine but personally I wouldn't bother, when I worked in a opticians they came in trying to get us too, not worth it and my boss tod them that.

I've had this exact call twice but was told it was £149. I declined saying it's just too great am amount to pay for advertising when I can't take on anymore clients at the moment. They won't leave you alone. Have you by any chance registered your business with the yellow pages? It's the worst thing I ever did as now I'm constantly harassed by untied utilities who won't take no for an answer xx

I'd be careful - if ur interested in doing an advertisements research where best to advertise yourself - sounds like it could be a scam .... !!!

I've had hundreds of these calls over the years in my other line of work - fire brigade diaries, NHS magazines, police ... you name it!

All just a load of rubbish, people wanting your money for something that has such a poor circulation rate it probably won't bring you any business.

It's a win win situation for the people taking your money, a lose lose one for you ... spend your money on something else!

This is a scam! Google it!i had this call too! Xx

Scam. When I get these calls I say ''No, I'm not interested thank you'' and just hang up. I never buy any company that phones me and offers me something.

No way! Don't give them money if they call you. I had no end of calls asking for my money to advertise when I first started.
Stick to what you know, and seek advise from other professionals where they may have advertised.
My dad is a tradesman working for himself and naively signed up for something similar to this. Parted with his money and never saw a return xx

Unfortunately I agree. I get calls like this all the time. Don't do it. If you want to promote your business see Lynn Bakers thread "More ways to promote your business" (sorry can't post link from phone) xx

Just ask them to send you a copy of the magazine, and you will call some of the advertisers to see how they got on.

You'll never hear from them again!

I've never seen a police woman with get nails done!!!

Just get some vouchers printed and take them and your price list into the stations yourself.

I've had this in past I just said I wasn't interested.

Rule of thumb is, unless its a client going to pay you, then say no to all calls. If there is anything you want them I'm sure you are capable of finding them, tell them so xoxo

Scam, I got a voicemail the other day. I'm sure it been discussed on here a few times x

My one rule any one contacting you to advertise its better for them than you!

It is a SCAM! I had the exact same call here in Australia. I reported it to Scam Watch immediatley. The idiots have called me twice..

Hang up immediatley.

:)

Latest posts

Back