Strange lifting issues on a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazbar

Reaction score
I have a client whose nails just have me stumped!

When I go back to her to do a rebalance they are always lifting away from her nail. They are still stuck solid at the cuticle line and the base of the sidewalls but towards the free edge the product has completely separated from the nail and it leaves the adhered product in a v shape on her nail. It's hard to explain but it seems like the skin around her nails pushes the product off as the nail grows. This then means that more often than not she breaks the natural nail underneath. She has quite bulbous ends to her fingers and although she is not a nail biter she has small nail beds and very weak nails.

Because it has lifted away so much at the free edge and halfway up the sidewalls I sometimes end up having to just file most of the product off and start again which is taking me much too long for a regular rebalance but I just don't know what else to do! Have tried tips, have tried sculpting, using Brisa instead of L&P but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else come across people with nails like this? Any tips? Is she just not suited to wearing enhancements?

Thanks x

Caroline, I have come across this before.

When you see a 'v' formation of lifting, it is characteristically due to 'torque' pressure on the ends of the nails.

Torque is the fancy word for twisting. :D

There are certain activities that put this torque pressure on nails. Things such as doing up buttons (ladies who work in dress shops) or tacking up horses, young mums who are dressing children and using prams and pushchairs and other baby paraphernalia!! She must be doing something to be twisting her natural nails away form the product as she is doing.

Ask her (probe with questions) what she does with her hands or the ends of her fingers that could be causing this problem. It's a nightmare to file and using a drill of efile for her would be an ideal help to remove lifting quickly and easily. It is definitely due to some pressure she is putting onto probably nails that are too long for what she is doing; shorten them also is my advice.

Thanks Gigi, she has them as short as they will go already! She likes them short and neat. She is a teacher so I can't imagine what she is doing to make them do that. i will quiz her but having been doing them a while it really does look like the skin at the ends of her fingers next to the sidewalls puts pressure on the nail as it gets longer and pushes it off! It's very strange. Might take a few pictures when I see her tomorrow.

Thanks Gigi, she has them as short as they will go already! She likes them short and neat. She is a teacher so I can't imagine what she is doing to make them do that. i will quiz her but having been doing them a while it really does look like the skin at the ends of her fingers next to the sidewalls puts pressure on the nail as it gets longer and pushes it off! It's very strange. Might take a few pictures when I see her tomorrow.

If that is the case, then make sure the 'sides' of the free edge are always 'clamped' with product. Clamping ensures that curling does not take place. Make sure when you have done the clamping that you do not then fille it away again when finishing!! Samuel did an article in the articles section entitled ?'curlingonysuckis' (well it is Samuel we're talking about lol) which will explain the procedure to you.

Latest posts

Back