Strep B

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carend

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of u have ever found out u have Strep B infection when pregnant?
Only found out by accident-won't go into details-but the info i'm finding is a little scary and my midwife advised me to read as much info on the net as i can so i can make an informed decision as to whether to go ahead with the treatment for it or not?!
I have no idea-and my head is swimming with statistics...ever wish u hadn't got out of bed this morning?!

I've never heard of it before, sorry not much help. Sending a :hug: for good measure.

Ahhhh thanks babe!
ps i just noticed your avatar the other day in willow the wisp!How slow am i!Lol but playhouse disney is way more bearable than CBeebies!:hug:

Just wondering if any of u have ever found out u have Strep B infection when pregnant?
Only found out by accident-won't go into details-but the info i'm finding is a little scary and my midwife advised me to read as much info on the net as i can so i can make an informed decision as to whether to go ahead with the treatment for it or not?!
I have no idea-and my head is swimming with statistics...ever wish u hadn't got out of bed this morning?!

Oh no,what a worry for you.I have never heard of it and if I looked up info on the net then I would probably only be telling you things you had already looked up.
Take care and try not to worry too much.:hug: :hug: xx

My friend Nat has it - just means you are given something intravenously in labour and after to protect baby.. from what I can remember.

Be thankful you know you've got it - it is deadly when people don't know.

A friend of mine wasn't diagnosed during pregnancy but she had it and her newborn son was infected...... It was a really tough thing to deal with but he made a full recovery and is now a healthy 4 year old.....

As long as the Dr's know you have it they can out you on IV antibiotics during labour and then give the baby antibiotics as soon as it's born as well. Try not to worry - there's no risk til your waters break and as long as everyone is informed it can be managed.

I would maybe ask to see your Consultant so you can hear what he has to say on the subject?? It's more common than you think though, and in a lot of other countries they routinely screen during pregnancy so they are prepared at the birth.....

HTH's

Thankyou everyone!I have a consultants appt but not for another 2weeks..
I wasn't as worried once she had explained about the IV anti-biotics until she went on to say that the dose they give u is so large that if everyone was given that ammount it'd kill alot of people.....i really could've done without that little gem of info!
But hey i guess like u have all said its best to know and for all i know i could've had it when my other little boy was born and just not known so i guess we were lucky.
Thanks again for all your support and advice:hug:

Have they started you on antibiotic for this yet??? I know that sometimes they say that the mother should be on complete bed rest to try to stop the membrane rupturing too early. You can also opt for a C section delivery but whether that is advisable in your case or not, would have to be discussed with your midwife and consultant. I do hope that all goes well for both you and the baby and that there is no further problems with this.:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thankyou..no the midwife said they don't start u on anti biotics until labour-u need to take tehm ideally for 4hrs continuosly before delivery-which is a worry in itself coz i was in hospital less than 4hrs before having my 1st baby,
but apparently if they give u anti biotics now they can't give u a large enough dose to get rid of it-and even if they managed to get rid of it chances are it would come back before birth again as it kind of comes and goes?...confusing stuff
But i read somewhere that having anti biotics too early can also cause the cells to mutate and become a toxic version of strepB which is a killer:eek: so am really stuck now
Basically i think although its really common-30% of the population carry it apparently without even knowing, its not likely it will cause a problem but now that i know about it its veyr scary-kind of wih i hadn't found out at all,but i do know its safer that we do know:confused: :confused: :confused:

kind of wih i hadn't found out at all,but i do know its safer that we do know:confused: :confused: :confused:

Trust me, after what my friend went through you are much better off knowing..... The first she knew was when they whisked her 12 hour old son to Special Care in the middle of the night.....

When you know what yuo're dealing with you can deal with it...... In this case not being aware can be v. dangerous....

:hug: to you and baby.

I don't understand... is this something that can be developed then with subsequent deliveries?

I don't understand... is this something that can be developed then with subsequent deliveries?

You really need to talk to your midwife about all things like this, as they are the best ones to give you the correct information including longterm effects and consequent pregnancies. I'm sure you will be fine.....
Any chance of asking the midwife if they could contact any other mum that has had this in pregnancy and asking her if she would contact you and tell you her experience and how she dealt with it???? It often feels like you are out there alone in these circumstances but just talking to another mum who has been through it can help enormously

Thankyou everyone and thanks for the link shelly

CA not sure what u mean by is it something u can get in subsequent pregnancies-but i think basically-from what i can gather its something u just carry around in your intestines-you've either got it or u haven't-once u have it just goes and comes back again but its in your body...doesn't really all make sense to me yet sure it'll all sink in soon tho,but from what i gather 30% of the population(men included) carry it-and as its only picked up by doing tests-most pregnant women who had it wouldn't know anything about it-so the ones that give birth to healthy babies that have no prbs from it-wouldn't b in the statistics so its probly not as scary as it looks from the statistics...
But obviously it can be a very dangerous infection/virus so i just have to hope i am one of the lucky ones
Again thanks everyone for your support
:hug:

I had strep b because I had thrush so much when I was pregnant and that was how it was discovered. But they just kept an eye on and had an anti biotic during labour, and thankfully everything was ok - he had all the tests immediately after birth and was told he was a healthy speciman!!

I had so many complications directly after the birth that I completely forgot about it!!

So I wouldnt let it worry you, the main thing is you know & they know and that is so much better than not knowing.

Thankyou everyone and thanks for the link shelly

CA not sure what u mean by is it something u can get in subsequent pregnancies-but i think basically-from what i can gather its something u just carry around in your intestines-you've either got it or u haven't-once u have it just goes and comes back again but its in your body...doesn't really all make sense to me yet sure it'll all sink in soon tho,but from what i gather 30% of the population(men included) carry it-and as its only picked up by doing tests-most pregnant women who had it wouldn't know anything about it-so the ones that give birth to healthy babies that have no prbs from it-wouldn't b in the statistics so its probly not as scary as it looks from the statistics...
But obviously it can be a very dangerous infection/virus so i just have to hope i am one of the lucky ones
Again thanks everyone for your support
:hug:

Are you sure the one you are referring to is Strep B that we carry around and not Staphlococus(sp?), this one is what most of us carry in our noses....this is also the one that can cause MRSA....but it is very different to Step B.

Are you sure the one you are referring to is Strep B that we carry around and not Staphlococus(sp?), this one is what most of us carry in our noses....this is also the one that can cause MRSA....but it is very different to Step B.

its definitely Strep B(streptococcus) which i think is a bit more like a blood poisoning / meningitis causing bacteria

the link shelly put up was a good read-it seems to b a bit more reassuring and less morbid than any other sites i've found so far so thanks hun!:hug:

its definitely Strep B(streptococcus) which i think is a bit more like a blood poisoning / meningitis causing bacteria

the link shelly put up was a good read-it seems to b a bit more reassuring and less morbid than any other sites i've found so far so thanks hun!:hug:
no probs hun xxxxx

No hun I didnt mean that it could be Staphlococus that you have I accept that you definitely have Strep B....I just meant the bit where you referred to us carrying Strep B around with us......I have never heard of anyone carrying around Strep B but do know for a fact that people can carry around Staphlococus, and the two names can get confused as they are quite similar....sorry if I confused you.:hug: .

I wonder why we are not screened automatically for Strep B during all our pregnancies as are the mums in the USA....we also dont get screened for Toxoplasmosis in our pregnancies, as do some mums in other countries like France....this is a horrible things to pick up (from cats litter) and can cause blindness, learning difficulties and deafness in the baby....my friend had this and it always affects the baby in one way or the other....is this our NHS trying to save money again, why cant we have all the screening tests that are necessary to help avoid babies being born with problems?????

Latest posts

Back