Stress from MMA acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siulum1314

Reaction score
today a friend of mine came to mine for a infill and nail art, omg, it took me 3.5 hrs can you believe it?! I got so stressed, i started off using a sanding band, then a carbide bit, then manually filing cos the MMA acrylic wouldnt come off and she felt heat sensation from me filing and filing, so i had to file manually with a 120 grit file. it was soo hard, and probably because she had a gel overlay on top of the huge diamontes and chain rings causing me to file file and file. now my neck and back is so sore from all the energy i used on her nails.. the mma acrylics stunk when i was filing, and the acrylics were yellow, total bad experience!
i explained to my fren about the MMA ingredient in her acrylics and encouraged her not to go back to that salon, not worth risking her health, then the next minute she talks on the fone with her fren and refers her fren to get acrylics done at that salon she went cos they do awesome designs! can you believe it?!

I had a lady phone the other day with mma nails, just wanted them infilled, but to be honest Ive had my fair share of mma ****e,if they phone now I usually educate them , and tell them the complications they may occur , and the fact I have to charge more aas they take longer to do , and this women said to me.. I might as well go back to the nail bar then:eek::eek: .

Not happy with this response , I strongly advised her to grow them out and then give me a call back when done.I had a lady the past too that prefered mma nails as she could grab her dog if need be when out and didnt have to worry about her nails popping off....some people.:rolleyes:

Did you wear gloves hun, you ll hands will be itching like mad to moz if you didnt and make sure you discard all the files you used.

The sooner they ban this stuff the better. Do they not find it odd that the technicians use gloves and masks? :rolleyes:

I had a lady phone the other day with mma nails, just wanted them infilled, but to be honest Ive had my fair share of mma ****e,if they phone now I usually educate them , and tell them the complications they may occur , and the fact I have to charge more aas they take longer to do , and this women said to me.. I might as well go back to the nail bar then:eek::eek: .

Not happy with this response , I strongly advised her to grow them out and then give me a call back when done.I had a lady the past too that prefered mma nails as she could grab her dog if need be when out and didnt have to worry about her nails popping off....some people.:rolleyes:

Did you wear gloves hun, you ll hands will be itching like mad to moz if you didnt and make sure you discard all the files you used.

Yeh i know, they drive you mad. I had some frens wanting me to go to their place to do their nails cos i did a good job. and because i use opi absolute, it doesnt contain the MMA ingredient. once she start picking the nails around(also because shes got short nail bed and she requests for long nails which the proportion is longer than her natural nails) it popped off within 48hrs, and i got the blame so she never wanted me to do her nails again. she rather get MMA nails. Its a pity how people don't understand or accept the fact of how dangerous wearing MMA nails are.

Hi,
Be careful - I got a skin reaction from the one set of MMA nails I filed down, some of the filings must have been trapped in the crease on my right wrist as I filed, it was red, itchy and sore for a couple of weeks, now I have a mark where it was, I also had 3 little red patches on my face for days, must have rubbed my hand over my face.
I will never do them again without gloves on, and will wash thoughly when they are finished.
I was lucky, I filed them down and she had nail polish over them. I managed to educate this client into growing hers out, then she is having a new set.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

Yes, I had a client a while ago who was told at the nail bar that she was getting gel but when she asked me to soak them off they would not budge. It took 3.5 hours for me to file them off and I had a bad reaction to whatever it was and my fingers came out in what looked like burns with blisters! I can only assume whatever they put onto her nails was mma? It was very stressful trying to remove these as they were not my work and I tried to educate her in how bad those products are and that I would use Bio or CND when she came back which are better for her nail health. Unfortunately she skipped her next appointment with me and I have never heard from her since so guesse she has gone back to the mma nails?:cry: Seems some people prefer to risk their nail health to make sure they have rock hard, no budge nails? I personally wouldn't want to use something which could cause such a reaction to someone's skin as it did to my fingers.

i have had a client from a local nail salon that had a fungal nail infection :eek:, i didn't do her nails. Also i have had new clients saying that their nails were badly damanged from drills, MMA etc. I agree the sooner they ban it the better. But this is proving to me that they do eventually realise that ok they may be cheap and last longer but your natural nail will be really bad.:irked:

This procedure is truly unacceptable.. Get this..

One of my new clients went in a NSS (before she met me :) ) to have a set removed, They produced a "QUALITY STREET TIN" filled with acetone to soak them off.....

She stupidly went ahead & then when they started her nails.... They pushed her cuticle back with a "NAIL TIP" filed to a point attached to the techs middle finger,

She subsequently contracted a fungal infection on 3 nails..

Nuff Said!!!!!!!

Its shocking & tighter controls on standards of product & health & safety have got to be improvised.

Gill
Sahara Nail Spa

This procedure is truly unacceptable.. Get this..

One of my new clients went in a NSS (before she met me :) ) to have a set removed, They produced a "QUALITY STREET TIN" filled with acetone to soak them off.....

She stupidly went ahead & then when they started her nails.... They pushed her cuticle back with a "NAIL TIP" filed to a point attached to the techs middle finger,

She subsequently contracted a fungal infection on 3 nails..

Nuff Said!!!!!!!

Its shocking & tighter controls on standards of product & health & safety have got to be improvised.

Gill
Sahara Nail Spa

couldn't agree with you more hun. It is bad that they manage to get away with it.

today a friend of mine came to mine for a infill and nail art, omg, it took me 3.5 hrs can you believe it?!

If she was a true friend she would be having her nails done by you and recommending you.

Why did she use you a a second solution? She should have been coming to you all along.

ok im new to this industry , but this all sounds awful! wouldnt want them near me.
Can i ask what MMA is and what makes them different to other acrylics(other than the bad affects they obviously have!). how would i know if a new client has these and asks me to do a rebalance? are there any tell tell signs?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge!:o

Latest posts

Back