Struggling only just opened tanning salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chreewebb

Reaction score
I opened my tanning salon on January 24th and it has all gone fairly smoothly! Slowly building my audience however it still isn't seeming to get busy!! I'm very reasonably priced for my area and since opening have got 103 people on record cards, most with courses! I am advertising on facebook, but it is very hard! My overheads are high as I have lease purchased my sunbeds (2) so have monthly payments for them, rent, loan re payments, electric, my small wage, etc!

Just wondering if you guys out there have any advice for my tanning salon and making it successful! Are we still in the quiet time of the year for sunbeds and when does it pick up? How long did it take you to build up customer cards of 500+? (500 is my aim for it to be a successful business?)

Thanks so much for any help guys, really appreciate it!!! :)

Also! Am I under selling myself with my accelerator creams??

250ml bottles £10.99 and 22ml sachets £1.50?

My local sunbeds sells creams at £14.95 a bottle & £2.80 per sachet for Australian gold just the basic accelerator they don't stock the more expensive ones.

Xx

My local sunbeds sells creams at £14.95 a bottle & £2.80 per sachet for Australian gold just the basic accelerator they don't stock the more expensive ones.

Xx

Thanks for your reply! May have to re think my pricing?

Any more feedback on sunbed salon cream pricing?! :)

I opened my tanning salon on January 24th and it has all gone fairly smoothly! Slowly building my audience however it still isn't seeming to get busy!! I'm very reasonably priced for my area and since opening have got 103 people on record cards, most with courses! I am advertising on facebook, but it is very hard! My overheads are high as I have lease purchased my sunbeds (2) so have monthly payments for them, rent, loan re payments, electric, my small wage, etc!

Just wondering if you guys out there have any advice for my tanning salon and making it successful! Are we still in the quiet time of the year for sunbeds and when does it pick up? How long did it take you to build up customer cards of 500+? (500 is my aim for it to be a successful business?)

Thanks so much for any help guys, really appreciate it!!! :)

To be honest I think it's fairly standard where you are at the moment.
1. it's out of season
2. You're new.
3. You could be working like that for the next 12months +
It takes a very long time to build up.

To be honest I think it's fairly standard where you are at the moment.
1. it's out of season
2. You're new.
3. You could be working like that for the next 12months +
It takes a very long time to build up.

Thanks for your honest feedback!

You are probably right, when is peak season as I am fairly new to the industry! I know we are still in winter season at the moment so can only expect to tick along! But its just depressing when im sat in and some times no one comes in for 3 hours! :(

Weekends and nights are busier as you probably know yourself! Just any more advice as an early starter?! Thanks so much guys!!

It takes 2 years to build a business and 5 to build a name.
You'll be skint for about 3 years!

Yes you're right to be fair lol.

Think I just need to be patient and allow it to grow its self! Only been open about 7 weeks so everything is still very very new! Thank you for your advice :)

When the sun comes out, I'm sure you'll find yourself a bit busier :) At the moment people are staying covered up cos it's still fairly chilly out so your current customers are probably just the hard-core tanners!! Once it warms up and people have to start showing a bit of their milky white skin, I'm sure you will get a few more of those customer cards filled out :) x

I've been in my spot for almost two years and I'm still struggling to build a clientele. It's a good area just much slower then expected :( pushing out like mad though and bills are being paid just not much spending money for me personally but hey ho can't win them all

I opened my sunbed and beauty salon in sept, i have 2 beds and they were fairly quiet to start with over winter averaging 8 people a day but it's been busy since the start or March and getting an average of 25 people in each day at the moment.

You sell the lotions for 50% more than what you paid minus vat. If you pay £15+VAT you sell for £30. I have sachets starting at £1.90 and lotions from £11 up to £35

Make sure it's obvious from outside what you offer, flyering is great esp on busy and sunny days and if you have room for an A board outside that would be great.

Good luck :)

Also I don't know if any of you ladies offer it but monthly packages. £30-40 a month for unlimited bed use within health safety regulations.

A few places round here do it and I love it. I'm due for one soon just before my holiday :)

- it beats turning up and finding cash or if you're like me and never have cash on you just giving it a miss. I know it's paid for I just turn up. 5 mins. Job done.

I run a mobile tanning business and I'm quiet this time of year too. I've been running for 3 years and I'm busier this year than last year but no where near as busy as I'd like! It will start to pick up once the weather gets better and wedding season starts. I have to constantly advertise and do special offers, but it does work! Good luck! Xx

I have to say that I'm astonished that people actually still use sunbeds!

Just out of curiosity do you do spray tanning at your salon too? If not maybe you would consider it x

You're right this time of year is pretty quiet for sunbeds - should pick up soon though especially with the sunshine were having. Easter usually is the start of the busy season. If it rains we are quiet if it's sunny we are busy. As soon as people book holidays they want to start their tans and after they return they want to keep their tans. Hopefully you will get busy soon. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back