sun-bed danger

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise that I will probably get shot down here, but my intention is not to rubbish anyone's opinions or beliefs AND yes I do feel for those that have lost their lives unreasonably early

In no way do I want to say that they deserved to die because of what they did - nobody would intentionally use the sunbed to ensure they got skin cancer and I DEFINITELY agree that we should always err on the side of caution in every aspect of our lives and research things fully!

Both sides - for and against have some very very valid points HOWEVER, I am more probably on the side of Kate - why? well I shall tell you :hug:

I have a very large extended family ranging from all ages, I also have plenty of friends and acquaintances! Therefore, I know a reasonable selection of people!

The only person I know who has suffered from any type of mole/skin problem is my father in law who is in his eighties - he worked out side most of his life rain hail snow and sun! (we have to remember that we can get wind burn as well) he is still alive and well :hug: and had treatment to remove those problems!

I had two very old aunties who also were outdoor types - both added salt to everything they cooked, then added more once it was cooked - had lard for their chips to cook in, full fat, full sugar, full everything iykwim - both lived till their early nineties - one died of old age, the other died of cancer - the doctors comments at her death were "if everyone was to live as long as your aunt Ellen then they would all die of cancer!"

My father died of a brain tumour in his early fifties - he had lung cancer and a lung removed six months prior to his death - he had smoked but given up 20 years previous - the doctors comments to me were "when did he give up was it about 20 years ago? you usually find that they still die of smoking related deaths and if I had seen him at the time of him giving up I would have suggested cutting down rather than stopping" so I asked why - I was confused! the response was "cancer is in every one and when a powerful drug is withdrawn such as tobacco then the body has to try and overcome that, that person is also liable to other medical conditions as well, such as a stroke! If you look at data a lot of people will die within 20 years of stopping smoking - especially if they were a heavy smoker"

Next week I have my lovely client Jackie coming for her 4 weekly treatments - she is in her sixties and has a sunbed practically every day - I can feel the sharp intake of breath from you all - that's OK, I understand why, but before dismissing it as rubbish, I can tell you that since sunbeds were discovered she has been going on them - WHY you ask?, is she mad?well nope she isn't :hug: she has psoriasis and the doctor prescribed them (they used to be free for those that suffer with skin conditions such as psoriasis) She still goes on them under her doctors instructions.

My son's best friend died when he was 24 - he was a good lad but he had hodgkinsons lymphoma - he was fine for a while and then deteriorated quickly - he did nothing out of the ordinary - was just a normal fun loving young lad, my last memory of him was when he came to see me with his new black shiny motorbike - how proud was he :hug:- his mum had said our house was the furthest he could go (about 500 yards) in case he got knocked off it by a car - a week later he was dead - the cancer had finally got him!

Now to me - as a young girl I was the healthiest lass going, but by the time I was 26/27 I had precancerous cells removed, suffered from fits, depression and the normal run of the mill illnesses - now in my early 40s I have dangerously high blood pressure and I am awaiting the results to see if there is any underlying cause!

I do not over drink, I have never smoked, weight has been up and down like a brides knickers but other than that fine! but here I am looking at the prospect of having a short life - another 10 years and I may be dead like my father was - I really don't want that - especially for my boys sake, but as my doctor has told me a lot of illnesses are what they call famile - they run in families and no matter what you do fate will dictate when you go - It is unlikely I will live to old age like my aunts on my mothers side but be more like my fathers side - who all died young!

So what do I do? I make a judgement on all the info I have, I will go by what my doctor says and if that means having a sunbed or going out in the sun to get the vitamin d my body requires, then that is what I will do, the doctor has said I need beta blockers - that is what I will do - but in the background I question everything before I do it and see what is best for me and my family!

In the end mother nature has ensured two things, regardless of what we do and that is:

1 - we will age
2 - we will die

Both of the above are inevitable regardless of what we do with our lives! AND THIS IS A FAB THREAD TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE!

I apologise for it being a long one - but I just wanted people to see that yes we can make choices in our lives but mother nature will have her way in the end!

Take care in everything you do geeky friends xx

Oh, Debs, how right you are. So well put and written beautifully. We all only have one life - this is not a rehearsal. We must all do what we feel is right for us and our families. All the tears welled up in my eyes - you rotter! lol! :lol:

i have never used a sunbed but then i don't need too

but i have to say the prolonged and ongoing misuse of a sunbed cannot be good for anyone

if you are using them safely as you have been instructed then fine but the people who die from using them are not

this is a debate that will go on and on, like most things people need to be educated correctly

Latest posts

Back