Sweet 'n Low in on-scalp lightener?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarplumfaery

Reaction score
Hello, so I've got the Olaplex app and was watching the on-scalp lightener video and the colorist used a sachet of sweetener in to her mix. I just wondered if anyone can shine some light on the subject.

Also, if you've seen the video is it just me or do her roots look orangey?

Sounds interesting. Going to check that one out

What the hell is that stuff? And that navy creme lightener added to bleach powder??

Definitely still super orange...

Sweet in low is an old school method of taking the sting out of a scalp bleach. Usually unnecessary if using higher quality bleach. Also sometimes used with highlift and 12%. Now who came up with that or how, I can't say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow! Thank you TSSparkler. The blue additive looked like L'oreal Blondese gel which I could get in Australia but not here.

And she did have orangey roots!

Sweet in low is an old school method of taking the sting out of a scalp bleach. Usually unnecessary if using higher quality bleach. Also sometimes used with highlift and 12%. Now who came up with that or how, I can't say.

Like the profile pic. Looks a bit like a redder version of adamlea87. :)

Yes Krisko. I don't even know if it exists anymore. I used to love it but no one had ever heard of it here in London.

Like the profile pic. Looks a bit like a redder version of adamlea87. :)

I kinda hate that its sideways, but thank you it's illumina 7/43+9/43 1/1 with 6% to cover my premature gray and mimic my natural color.

Yes Krisko. I don't even know if it exists anymore. I used to love it but no one had ever heard of it here in London.
It does exist. A friend of mine uses it but i have no idea where she gets it from.

Blondys is available in Switzerland Italy and France.
I found it searching for an oil bleach as we still had the powder from former times.

Sweat'n'low is what I always use on my head when lightening. I get mine from Starbucks 😂
Never used it on clients though. No pain no gain when blonding😼

Hello, so I've got the Olaplex app and was watching the on-scalp lightener video and the colorist used a sachet of sweetener in to her mix. I just wondered if anyone can shine some light on the subject.

Also, if you've seen the video is it just me or do her roots look orangey?

http://www.sweetnlow.com/faq/health#hair
Yep they look underprocessed

I just watched the video. She used clairol 7th stage creme lightener with activator pakets.

It's pretty bargain basement stuff. You can get it at Sally's in the us or your local drug store with slightly different packaging. Can't believe she used a bowl and brush as it runny as hell and designed for bottle application.

Just downloaded app so I could watch. Shaking my head at most of this.

Like tsparker said, in the States 7th Stage lightener is very bargain basement. Like from our grandmother's generation. Not refined like Silk Lift or Blonder cream on scalp. Really, this coming from the 'famous' Sally Hershberger salon. Laughable.

Have no words about the Sweet n Low. Holla, y'all, it's 1982 all over again. (I have no qualms if you use on yourself.)

That's why I bugged them about only using a few drops. I thought the roots looked a bit organdy, too. But after it was blown out, hard to see. Hopefully they were toned x.

Best laugh I've had all week. A colorist at Sally Hershberger using 7th stage. lol

Just downloaded app so I could watch. Shaking my head at most of this.

Like tsparker said, in the States 7th Stage lightener is very bargain basement. Like from our grandmother's generation. Not refined like Silk Lift or Blonder cream on scalp. Really, this coming from the 'famous' Sally Hershberger salon. Laughable.

Have no words about the Sweet n Low. Holla, y'all, it's 1982 all over again. (I have no qualms if you use on yourself.)

That's why I bugged them about only using a few drops. I thought the roots looked a bit organdy, too. But after it was blown out, hard to see. Hopefully they were toned x.

Best laugh I've had all week. A colorist at Sally Hershberger using 7th stage. lol

I was quite skeptical of the Sally Hershberger thing... She wont cut someones hair for less than 3000 dollars never mind use a cheap lightener from sallys

I was quite skeptical of the Sally Hershberger thing... She wont cut someones hair for less than 3000 dollars never mind use a cheap lightener from sallys

Over here, anything Hershberger is like the hair goddess of all goddesses. At least in some publications. And anyone in the US can buy at Sallys without a license. But 7th Stage!!! Lord this is funny. What a load of garbage they are giving their clients. No wonder the roots are orangey.

(Edited: I think I read your post wrong xx But she does work for Sally Hershberger. Gives you an idea what they use lol The cheap stuff. Clients think they are getting a nice steak and instead it's a Big Mac from McD's)

I'll have to find it this weekend. A great article about why US colorists can't get the perfect blondes. And Swedes in New York will only go to a certain colorist who gets the blonde they want. I'll have to dig that up later.

Last edited:
To be fair I have heard of a few colourists that prefer the old school 7 stages but haven't tried it myself. Sweet and low is kinda crazy, I wonder why manufactures don't add it if it works? L'Oreal protocol here now is to check if the client is taking antihistamines before allergy allert testing so I would be very carefull adding anything that could mask a reaction.

Why did the colorist in the video use 30 volume? As far as I have read you shouldn`t bump the developer when it comes to scalp bleaching.

"Olaplex may be added to your on-scalp lighteners, but we do not recommend using more than 20vol on the scalp. Longer processing time may occur." - Olaplex website

I know, I found that confusing too. But Satchel I think said that they now say to bump up the developer on the scalp if using lightener. She emailed Olaplex some time ago to find out. I'm sure she also said on scalp no higher than 20 vol. so if you normally use 10 vol go up to 20 vol, but no higher for on scalp.

Because it's such a new product I'm sure there will be a 'trial and error' process.

I'm really excited to get some so I can trial it with models first. I do a lot of lightening.

Olaplex stated to up the developer, but not to go above 20 on scalp. But I suppose you can try to use it anyway you like or at least experiment with it. That's why I emailed them and asked if I could only use a few drops and not bump up the developer on scalp.

Because she used 30, that's why she added the faux sugar packets to the lightener so as not to burn scalp.

7th stage lightener has been in my dreams (nightmares) 3 nights in a row :eek: It bothers me because it's not a lightener with integrity. Talk about a chemical haircut if used with too harsh a developer. It's not a product that should be in a salon. And if you are a colorist at a high end salon like Hershberger, then customers who pay hundreds of dollars for root touch ups deserve better. They deserve much, much better. I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am, when colorists don't experiment and try everything they can get their hands on. Especially when it comes to lightening and on scalp. There is no excuse.

Ok, rant over. Back to puppies and pretty flowers xx. Sorry to rant in your thread :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back