Swine flu and your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-sophisticutz-

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I was wondering how everyone else is coping in this pandemic, if it has affected them and their business?

The worst dread for me has happened and swine flu has hit my salon. Unfortunately, it's me. :irked:

I have a small staff of 5, 2 of which are junior stylists, so just taking 1 stylist out of the equation puts a huge strain on the salon and staff.

I have been off work now 3 days with swine flu and with such a slow recovery I am now understandably worried for my business. I very rarely take time off sick (this is the second time in almost 4 years!) but 4 months ago I had major knee surgery and had to take 3 weeks off, so I felt I was just getting back on top of things.

My main worry is any of my staff contracting it. I was ill several days before diagnosis but worked as I had no idea it was swine flu. Not only am I fearful that I have passed it on but the implications it may bring.

We have been riding out the recession well. Working hard as we have 83 other salons in the area to compete with.

Has swine flu affected anyone else? Staff or clients? What impact has it had on your business? How do you think us small businesses are going to cope with swine flu coupled with the recession?

Any thoughts will be gratefully received! :)

I don't worry about it but maybe I should. If I get Swine Flu, I'm screwed. xxx

I don't worry about it either!
Swine flu is no worse than regular flu and i think it's been blown out of all proportion.
I've had a couple of clients that have had it and their doctors told them to rest for 48 hours and that was it!
If your salon was hit with regular flu what would you do? There's not much you can do and i really think people are worrying far too much. JMHO :)

I worry.
I am a home-business.
Yesterday I woke up with a scratchy throat, and stuffed nose. This morning it's worse. I keep worrying symptoms will get worse, as in swine flu vs cold.
If that happens, ..... my clients will go bonkers:!: Because inevitably, my children and hubby will get it, so will have to close doors for a couple of weeks. That will HURT financially. No paid sick days for me, like for hubby.

Crossing fingers...

Swine flu is no worse than regular flu and i think it's been blown out of all proportion.
I've had a couple of clients that have had it and their doctors told them to rest for 48 hours and that was it!
If your salon was hit with regular flu what would you do? There's not much you can do and i really think people are worrying far too much. JMHO :)

I agree with angelina221, it is flu and capable of making you feel really, really lousy.... as flu does. Real flu really incapacitates you and you take ages to recover because your poor imune system works overtime and your body is sapped of all it's strength!

The problem with swine flu is that it is a strain of flu which has not yet run it's course over the UK. As your body has never been exposed to this particular strain before, you will have no immunity to it. Once you have had it, you won't get it again unless you catch a different strain.

In all likelyhood, this swine flu will probably make many people sick over the coming winter months. I feel that the best idea is to help boost your immune system with vit C, eat healthily, get plenty of rest and if you get sick with flu then take all the necessary measurements to care for yourself whilst laid up.

The good news is you most likely have the milder form of it, so if you get exposed later when the strain gets worse, you will be protected.

Another positive.... you got it in the fall, as opposed to the holiday season.

I hope you and your family feel better soon !

Tanya

Thanks for your comments guys.

I didn't worry until I got it! Now I am realising how long it takes to recover, I am slightly perturbed! :eek:

Yes it is similar to seasonal flu but with more respiratory problems. It feels like you are being strangled.

I don't believe anyone who has swine flu got over it in 48 hrs. I do not lay down and die easy but this has knocked me for six. The government line is 5 days quarantine for adults to slow down the spread.

If I have a week off work, it takes roughly 4 weeks for the business to catch up financially.

More and more of my clients are coming down with it so appointments are being cancelled. We are a close-knit community that has suffered hard in the recession, an outbreak of swine flu could do a lot of damage to the town.

I don't think it is enough of a threat to close my business down but it can cause a serious hiccup in tight times. I am the only wage earner in my home and I have staff to pay.

I'm not worried at all. I think the media has done a huge disservice by giving it SO MUCH attention.

It was reported on the news last night that the regular flu claims between 30,000 and 40,000 lives a year, the swine flu, 600.

Why aren't we more worried about the 'regular' flu?

I think common sense must prevail. Washing hands between clients, using hand sanitizer or Cool Blue, sanitizing implements between clients, not coming to work sick, etc. are the things we can do (and should ALWAYS be doing) to prevent cross contamination, whether it be the flu or other germs or bugs.

Last edited:

I have to dissagree. Several people I know personally have had it... and were sick for WEEKS....
Cailin's preschool teacher caught it. She was in bed for 2weeks (in bed, not lounging about the house) and for 2weeks following that, could barely do nothing. We're talking about a healthy 35yr old woman who is very active and health concious, and not a hypochondriac. She lost 15lbs during that time. One of her sons had to go to the hospital for a week because of it.
I personally know of several similar examples.

When I get the flu.. I don't lose weight and stay in bed for 2weeks (while I might lounge about house for a few days...). And my children have never been in the hospital for the flu.
To me, I see a distinct difference.

Well luckily i've only ever had the flu once in my life.
I was very ill. I was in bed for 2 weeks solid and i lost 3 stones!!
No-one i know who has swine flu has been that ill-well certainly not in the UK anyway.

My poor hubby got it. He is wrapped in a duvet on the sofa making sad little groaning sounds every now and then. Hope the swine flu doesnt develop into full blown man flu.
The dog is in the duvet with him, keeping him warm!
Bloody hope he recovers soon. Florence Nightingale I aint!
Plus, I really don't wanna catch it

Latest posts

Back