System Comparison written for Salon+ Magazine by gigi rouse

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
System Comparison for Salon+ - Gigi Rouse

When comparing artificial nail enhancement systems, it is important to remember that every nail system comes from the Acrylic Family. Whether it is a Liquid and Powder system, a premixed system (gels) or a Fabric/ Wrap system, all have their roots in the family of acrylic. So to say “We use Acrylic in our salon”, for instance although technically correct, does not identify to a client the service that is on offer. “Acrylic” therefore is a misnomer as all artificial nail structures are acrylic. One either uses a UV cured Gel, a Liquid and Powder or a Wrap system or a combination of one or more of these three.

It is also important to understand that ALL professional nail enhancement systems are perfectly safe to use and there is no system that is “safer” to use than another. ALL nail systems are organic. There is also no system that is ‘thinner’ than another, as thick or thin nails are dependant on the skill of the technician who is applying them and every system can be thin, natural-looking and strong if the application is well balanced.

**Which ever nail system you use, it is important to remember that manufacturers all recommend that the technician work in a well ventilated area preferably with extraction ventilation at the source of application. Many of the problems associated with the performing of nail enhancement services (such as possible overexposure to odour, Activators and dust inhalation) would be avoided if technicians followed all of the manufacturer’s advice.

So what are the advantages of one system over another you may ask and is there one perfect system that will suit every client?

Please remember that there are High end and Low end products in each category and comparisons are based on generic product lines only.

There are cutting edge high end products in each of the following categories to which the general observations below do not refer.

Wrap System

:( Longevity of Service over a one year period - Aging occurs more quickly than with other systems and new sets need to be applied 3-4 times per year

Strength using a tip & overlay - Strong and flexible

Strength as a natural nail overlay – Strong and flexible

Appearance – Natural looking

To correct misshaped nails - Corrective action on misshaped nails is difficult to achieve and time consuming

Suitable Nail Types – Non-nail biters – regular shaped nail plates

Natural Nail Repairs – Wonderful, natural-looking, strong repairs on natural nails

Ease of application – Product needs to be applied in many thin layers

Ease of removal – Rapid 10-15 minute soak off

:) Learning curve - simple method of application

:( Odour – yes

The Down Side :( - For the technician

Overexposure to Spay Activator can cause respiratory problems for some and skin sensitivity and odour is also a consideration**

Cynoacrylate resin vapours may cause eye problems or a burning sensation if used too liberally.

Client choices become limited as nail enamel is a must as the product ages and discolours

Liquid and Powder System

J:) Longevity of Service over a one year period - Long-lasting 1-2 times per year

Strength as a natural nail overlay – Strong and flexible

:) Appearance – Natural looking

:) To correct misshaped nails - Corrective action on misshaped nails is easy to achieve

:) Suitable Nail Types – All nail types including severely bitten

:) Natural Nail Repairs – Wonderful, natural-looking, strong repairs on natural nails

Ease of application – Quick and easy using a tip or free form sculpted

Ease of removal – Rapid 15- 20 minute soak off

Learning curve - techniques need practice to produce a high level of skill

:( Odour – yes

There is an odour associated with most Liquid & Powder systems although odour can be minimised and there are low-odour products on the market if this is an issue.**

UV cured Gel System

:) Longevity of Service over a one year period - Long-lasting 1-2 times per year

Strength as a natural nail overlay – chipping of the product along the free edge is a common problem when used on this type of nail.

Appearance – Natural looking

To correct misshaped nails - Corrective action on misshaped nails is easy to achieve

Suitable Nail Types – All nail types including severely bitten

Natural Nail Repairs – Not suitable for strong repairs on natural nails

Ease of application – Product needs to be applied in layers each layer cured for 2 minutes under a UV light. May be used over a tip or free form sculpted

:( Ease of removal – Most strong hard Gel nails cannot be removed by soak off – It is necessary to file the product away to completely remove.

There are many soak off gels available but they are more flexible and not as strong as non soak off hard gels and more suited to clients who already have strong natural nails.

Learning curve - techniques need practice to produce a high level of skill

:) Odour - No

Gel is sticky. Wear nitrile gloves or over exposure to the gel or inhibition layer can cause skin sensitivity and allergy**

The dust particulates from filing gel are the finest of any system**

Last edited:
gigi I only found this site and your words of wisdom a few weeks ago and already I'm a fan the say your not famous until you have a stalker do you want one?

hahaha

What about LCN? Its a light cured resin that contains NO Acrylic:)

great article, im so glad you mentions nno with gel, im glad im not the only one who has this problem, once iv done a full set with tips and they have been on for a while and the tip grows out i have no problem with nno, but if i do it on non enhanced nn they seems to chip at the free edge, not always but about 60% of the time, no matter how much i cap!

What about LCN? Its a light cured resin that contains NO Acrylic:)
After it is cured resin IS acrylic. Chemically speaking anything made from plastic or resin is in the acrylic family. Refer to Nail Structure and Product Chemistry by Dr. Doug Schoon, he has loads of info about how products are made!!

oh, sorry I didn't know that...I'm sooo new to nails, but I love the site and all the info I'm gettin here!!!

This is a great comparison!
My only questions, however regards this:

For L&P
Ease of application – Quick and easy using a tip or free form sculpted

Should it not mention that multiple balls are used, as multiple layers are mentioned with UV Gel?

For UV Gel
Ease of application – Product needs to be applied in layers each layer cured for 2 minutes under a UV light. May be used over a tip or free form sculpted
Strength as a natural nail overlay – chipping of the product along the free edge is a common problem when used on this type of nail.

I was trained in UV Gel. Not yet trained in L&P, so obviously, L&P will be harder for me. That will go without saying. I'll have to learn to work differently and change techniques, etc.
BUT I did fiddle with my UV Gel when I received my package prior to attending to my course, for about 2wks.
I have also fiddled with L&P since, on many occasions.
I personally find L&P much harder, and haven't yet succeeded in doing anything worth looking at. Would application levels of difficulty (smile vs frown) not vary upon the user's opinion and personal experience, and not be across the board?
I find making a ball a nightmare, trying to get the correct ratio. Granted, this will change once I take a course. BUT I always see threads about Liquid to powder ratio problems....and I assume that it is something that takes time to perfect. Particularly since even if you think things are going great for application, if you've the incorrect ratio, then you could have lifting problems etc...
There is no such issue with uv gel, re: ratios. So, one might say that uv gel is easier than L&P, due to ratio?
(only going on what I've read, so I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong :green: )

As for the strength of a natural overlay, could that not depend on the brand? I personally did not 'think' it chipped more often. I don't find that client's chip excessively. It does occasionally happen, but I wouldn't say on a regular basis. I see lift at the free edge, more often than I see chips. When it does happen (chipping) clients usually say they bashed it or whatever.

And I'm not skilled with L&P to be able compare it myself, fairly. So of course, my experiences are limited to draw upon and perhaps my 'opinions' on the differences between are of course one sided , except for what I've been reading. Hence why I have all these questions.:o

I do realize that L&P is 'harder' and uv gel is more 'flexible', therein lies the differences in their strength. But I have a couple of clients that have converted from L&P at their former tech to uv gel with myself, and they say that it happens less? That they have less breakages and chips. My thought was it was because it's (uv gel) is more flexible, so better for NNO's than L&P?

I've enjoyed this article and find it a very interesting comparison of the systems, and very informative!
I only wonder if some of it might depend more on personal experience and brand, rather than fact?

:hug:

This is great Geeg, really informative.:hug:

Without quoting the whole of vhuters post ...

If you read the opening statement it clearly states that the article is based on generic lines as naturally, more high end lines incorporate more highend technology and differ in strength, flexibility etc.

Whoops :o
Missed that.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this. I found it really helpful as I was never taught any of this.

I am an L&P girl and I love it.

What an absolutley fantastic piece. I've been looking for this infor for 2 days now - this article contains all the answers I need and more!

Thanks Gigi

Fantastic piece of information) thanks a lot Gigi:hug:

do you know the dis/advantages of fibreglass nails? thanks:)

Latest posts

Back