Taboo against men having long, polished nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it the men that have it all, lovely long natural eyelashes, perfect blemish free skin AND lovely strong nails? My nails died a little inside when they saw yours!

x

True PinkSwoon. My other half has lovely lashes and thick naturally curly hair where I have fine straight-ish lashes and fine poker straight hair. So not fair. Thankfully our daughter has his lashes & am praying that she gets his hair. Although at 13 months she's still a baldy baby so not holding out much hope lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Actually, you're right. I am a graphic/website designer...

That's so fab that you are able to grow and paint your nails and be accepted in your line of work then... are you freelance incidentally then, or do you work as an employee for a company?

I'm in a similar line of work to you for my main career too... I primarily work in IT consultancy and web development... I am transgender and have been living "full time" as a woman since the middle of April, although changed my name by deed poll (from Richard to Ruth) back in August last year... although lots of people have known me as Ruth for years - even before my official name change.

So, would you say it's just your nails that you like to present in what's stereotypically been seen as a "feminine" way then, or are there other aspects of style/dress/etc that are stereotypically associated with women that you would also wish to adopt - at least in an ideal world if it were more socially accepted?

I must say that I'm really lucky myself, as I've experienced very few problems (if any) in being accepted as Ruth... I guess the main one is that people who have known me as Richard before sometimes using my old name and referring to me as a "he" instead of a "she" - although people are generally getting better at that now, thank goodness...

Well done on growing your nails out though and painting them - it's always good when people have the courage to "be themselves" and not worry *too* much about other people's reactions.

I read an article a while ago:
J. Crew Ad With Boy Painting Toenails Pink Stirs Up Transgender Debate - ABC News

There was a picture of the president of J Crew painting her son's toe nails and the world went beserk. I asked my husband what he would do if, one day we would have a little boy who wanted to paint his nails? What if he was bullied at school? My husband answered, "then I would also paint my nails and give him moral support. I would encourage him to stand his ground and keep on having pretty nails. Why not? He wouldn't be hurting anyone".

I can't even begin to tell you how proud I was of my husband when he said that. You are right, why are women 'allowed' certain things that are manly, but men are not 'allowed' to have 'feminine' things? I am totally jealous of your beautiful nails and think it's great that you are painting them!

Iv seen quite a few men with painted nails being in london I suppose . But not as long as yours they are pretty impressive !

I'm jealous! I'm also a graphic designer and my first thought was "How can you type with them?!" I put tips on my nails and brisa gel over them. The first email i sent to a client took me 10 minutes longer to type than it should have!

I have a male client who comes to me to get red shellac on his nails all the time. He is married with two kids and personally i think its fantastic he feels confident enough to do it. His arent as long as yours but not far off 😊

wow nice looking nails !

my boys (aged 4 and 10) love nothing more than playing with my nail stuff when I get it out, they practice on plastic pops and create all sorts of wonderful artistic nails, my 4 year old even had some on his fingers and toes the other day, but his daddy was not impressed :|

also my boys have beautiful natural nails that grow so fast and strong ! I die a little inside whenever I have to cut them off for school haha

Last edited:
Here's a old picture of my nails with no polish. This was the very first time I grew my nails long..

Attachments

• peter6.jpg
    peter6.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,932
Here's a old picture of my nails with no polish. This was the very first time I grew my nails long..

You are a nail technicians dream, thanks for sharing your beautiful nails x

Have you heard of Jeffree Star? He's an entertainer from LA and he has enhancements constantly! His nails are awesome and super funky! I love looking at what he has on his nails, I'd be so happy if these were my nails, I'm well jel of you lol

Who cared what anyone else thinks. Are you hurting anyone? No! So who cares! Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ;-) xoxo

Have you heard of Jeffree Star? He's an entertainer from LA and he has enhancements constantly! His nails are awesome and super funky! I love looking at what he has on his nails, I'd be so happy if these were my nails, I'm well jel of you lol

Who cared what anyone else thinks. Are you hurting anyone? No! So who cares! Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ;-) xoxo

He's no wallflower is he!! :biggrin:

I love Jeffree Star's nails!!!

I love him! xoxo

Are your nails very strong? you have very nice figernails

I am so sorry you are facing negativity. I am sure it is ignorance...people are afraid of things they do not understand.

Personally I think they look lovely. I would give my eye teeth to be able to wear nails this length but I simply cannot. As I am looking at them I just see a fabulous blank canvas for amazing nail art. I am sure any professional technician would love to see you....I know I would and I am just starting out......but nail art is definitely my thing (just wish more people would go for it).

From the things you say I would be interested to see mums nails too....

Here are some pictures of my mums nails... Can you see why I've always been jealous?

Attachments

• pt13680.jpg
    pt13680.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,014
  • pt13686.jpg
    pt13686.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,737
  • pt13687.jpg
    pt13687.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,103
If you paint and shape them yourself, then I think you are a natural talent. Obviously you have more passion for nails that many technicians do. In my opinion, you are a person that nail industry needs. If you ever feel that web designing doesn't make you happy anymore, get educated and start a nail business. Yours will be THE business for sure.

I'm 65 years old, been in nails all my working life and I have only one thing to say - Fab-u- lous!!

The closest I have personally come a couple of times a week I do nails at retirement homes and I have one gent who has his toenails painted the brightest red I can find!

I love your nails - and if you got it, flaunt it! :cool:

Aww id love nails like that! Your hands look lovely as well. Xx

Thanks for being nice!

I still haven't plucked up the courage to visit a salon, but I would like to soon.

You can't please all the people all the time, but you can please yourself and you must do what makes you happy. Sod others when you're not hurting anyone.
Just please please please DO NOT end up in a NSS salon because you make a hasty decision one day and jump in the nearest salon as they will ruin your fab nails. Perhaps try going to a few salons with a female friend for support so you can make enquires and find somewhere you feel comfy before committing to that manicure seat.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back