Taking phone calls in the day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tan&Wax

Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of advice really.

My business is building up nicely but I can't help the feeling that I am losing out by not always answering my phone! I work most evenings & Saturdays but my daytime job is to 3 very noisy children! I won't answer my phone if I am with them as I don't think it sounds professional. They are 4, 3 & 1 so its almost impossible to silence them all & rely on them staying that way!

I've had quite a few instances lately where I will return calls (within a few hrs) to be told they've booked elsewhere!!

What can I do??

My regulars know its best to text for immediate response but obv new clients don't & I appreciate some people want to have a chat!

Any thoughts?

Caroline xx

How about having a voicemail that says you are in the middle of a treatment and will return their call at the first opportunity. A new client won't know what you do during the day.

Just an idea x

I would be interested in some advice for this one as well. I am in exactly the same position as you. Mine are 1, 3 and 5 and if it's not one kicking off, it's the other. I have a voicemail message saying "doing a treatment, etc" but some people just don't like leaving voice messages and hang up. I never know whether to ring people back and say sorry I missed your call, is there anything I can help you with, or something along those lines. It's a tough one! Hopefully somebody will be along shortly with some great advice.

I'd recommend a cage and gags for the children. Or lock them in the garden. Lol.

My work phone is a blackberry and there is an app that I use that lets the phone ring once, then directs the call to voicemail. The caller is then sent a text from my phone which I can change to suit. Its a Honda safety driving app of all things but it now says "thank you for calling Eden Beauty, sorry I can't take your call. Please leave a message or send a text and I will get back to you asap."
xx

That sounds like a great app wonder if they do it for iPhone

Hi

There are several (so pick one that suits you) live telephone answering services around.

Basically it's a call centre that answers your phone number with your personal message, the "receptionist" can put the caller through to you, or take a message. You can turn the system on and off as you require, and you'll get your messages instantly so you can call back.

There is a cost, but it's usually based on the number of calls you receive, and that probably isn't going to be in the hundreds.

Much better to have a real person answer than a message machine.

Good luck
Mike

If I cannot answer calls I just send a quick text so they know I have received it and will get back to them later.. Like sorry I am unable to take your call at the moment but if you would like to send me details of the treatment you are after and when, then I will get back to you As soon as possible..

If your clients don't like leaving voicemails, how about setting up online booking? Can be a bit pricey but it pays for itself by confirming more appointments for you.

Well I am a mum of 4 and I answer my phone whenever it rings (other than special days off - weddings, funerals or family days out).

If the kids are loud I appologise to the caller and take myself off to a quieter room for the 2 minutes it takes to deal with the call.

I am with my kids 24/7 other than when I'm out on a job so I'd never get to answer my phone if I had to wait for peace and quiet. If for any reason I can't answer my phone - I'm working, cooking or doing something that cant be interupted - then the answer machine kicks in.

My message is 'Hi this is Cheryl at Glamour Puss, sorry I cant take your call right now, if you'd like to leave a message or send me a text I will get back to you as soon as I can'.

I'd recommend a cage and gags for the children. Or lock them in the garden. Lol.

hahahahaha!!!! yes i dont have children so this would be my solution too! i lose alot of clients because i'm mobile and dont answer my phone when i'm with clients, which i would never do anyway, and everyone in my house works so the office phone will normally end up going to answer phone. i have messages on both my office and mobile phone which says i'm out at work/ with a client so please leave a message and i will get back to them when i have finished... most people leave a message but the odd few will hang up and go else where, mostly clients who want me to do it then and there. i suppose you could put on your answer phone that they can either leave you a message or drop you a text and you will get back to them as soon as possible, maybe try and politely say that text messages will be answered quicker.... good luck! :D

My day job is teaching, and I can't answer my phone when I'm doing that, or when I'm treating clients...so there are a lot of hours in my day where clients can't reach me by phone!! Also, my working days start at 8am, and by the time i've got home at night it can be as late as 10pm...and no time to make phone calls in the mean time!!! My voicemail says something along the lines of;

"Thankyou for calling, I'm either teaching or treating another client right now. Please leave me a voicemail and I will endeavour to return your call within 48 hours. Alternatively, if you'd like a faster reply from me, please send a text to this number. "

Thank you all for your replies! There are some really good ideas!!

I'm definitely going to change my answerphone message as a short term measure!

Caroline xz

If it's simply because the kids are in the background and you think it's unprofessional, is it not possible to send them a text straight after the call?

I answer the phone, just as Baggybear does and then I quickly scuttle off into a quiet area - i'm a mother with a young child, if my clients don't like that then so be it but I'd rather answer the phone and take that risk that miss them altogether like you seem to be doing.

People don't really want to be waiting till evening to be messing about booking their appointments as that is when they'd be having family time :) I think either an answerphone (which I hate and don't have) or text will be enough though if you genuinely don't want to answer with kids there.

Latest posts

Back