Tan Disaster :( xx

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Reaction score
Hi looking for some help in solving a tanning problem.

I had a client last night, who I spray tanned as normal. First she had a problem with getting caught in the rain as she left so she had to come back in. This I sorted out no problem.

However, she phoned this morning to say she had strap marks where her bra had been, but had never worn it after having her tan applied.
She came to see me at 1pm today so I could see it and sure enough there were marks from bra straps. 2 lines on each side (just at the front) from the inner and outer edges of bra straps - they had went black. Also was very dark on the front edge of her underarms.

I have no idea how this has happened, no dry skin on these areas. All I could think of was that there was some sort of product on her bra, which rubbed onto her skin before the tan was applied, but she says she had no product on that day.

Totally baffled, any ideas as to how this could happen? Feel really bad as she is wearing a strapless top tonight. I put moisturiser on the dark bits with a cotton bud and sprayed her again. No idea how it will turn out :cry: x

Sorry it's long, just no idea how this has happened x

Hmm maybe the bra she had on previously had been too tight and indented/marked the skin? or been rubbing her? what did she wear for bed? could it be a vest top with vra like straps? sorry im not being very helpful XxX

Hmm maybe the bra she had on previously had been too tight and indented/marked the skin? or been rubbing her? what did she wear for bed? could it be a vest top with vra like straps? sorry im not being very helpful XxX

You are being helpful lol, she slept topless as she was worried about getting marks (ironic isn't it). Would having indentations on the skin make a difference?
I have never seen this happen before x

If there were marks on the skin, or bra straps had been rubbing before the tan, the quality of skin wouldnt be the same the rest of her body. it would be slightly irrated- which would make a difference to the development of the tan in that area. XxX

I would put it down to dry skin on the area where her bra normally sits. Women wear bras for hours and hours and it's bound to rub the skin and cause dryness, even if it can't be seen.

For clients where this is a problem it is even more important to exfoliate and moisturise this area regularly. Most people dont as it can be awkward to reach your back.

I sometimes notice that even though I don't wear a bra after being sprayed I am left with a darker tan line below my bust line where my bra sits. I put this down to dryer skin here attracting the tan like a magnet!

Hope this helps a bit, don't worry too much as I'm sure she would have got the same result with any tan. :hug:

Didn't know that, thanks ladies. Could very well have been that. It def seems to be something to do with the bra she had on before the tan was applied. She went for the velocity tan, which can tend to grab a bit on very dry areas. Will maybe try her with the normal tan next time (if she comes back) as it is much more forgiving lol xx

Aww you did your best to sort it try not to worry. try a little bit of barrier cream in that area for her next appointment :) XxX

I bet it was indentations from her bra straps.

I always take my wedding ring off to be tanned and it leaves a big indent in my finger that never, ever tans. Obviously that is not a problem for me as i'm putting my ring back on the next day but it's just an example of how indentations like this can sometimes not tan.

BB
x

If there were marks on the skin, or bra straps had been rubbing before the tan, the quality of skin wouldnt be the same the rest of her body. it would be slightly irrated- which would make a difference to the development of the tan in that area. XxX

I think here is the answer...on the rain thing clearly has nothing to do with the bra strap problemo.

I would agree here that to tight a bra strap( I am lead to believe speaking with bra people...as yuo do :eek: that most women have an incorrectly fitting bra...generally to tight)

So I agree the skin is possibly "aggravated" or rubbed so it has soaked up the spray tan solution in much the same way as any dry skin area.

Maybe get the customer to extend the bra straps and/or to lightly moisturise the bra strap lines 24 hrs before coming into you next time....a combination of these two options could well cure the problem for her.

HTH :hug:

I've ended up with strap marks before!
Yup dry skin where the staps gave chaffed a bit. :(

I recently went for a fitting and turns out after a few too many puddings I'm not a 36c but a 34dd/e.
I exfoliated really well and since the new bras haven't suffered any brown straps. I also wear a loose dark tshirt to bed.

X

Thanks everyone, I spoke to her today and thankfully had managed to blend most of the strap marks away :) I mentioned the bra rubbing and she agrees that this may have been the problem. I will get her to exfoliate gently and moisturise the area 24hrs before the next tan.
She was absolutely delighted with her tan btw, loved the colour - thank goodness lol.
And yes the strap marks had nothing to do with being out in the rain, it was just another part to the disaster story lol.

Thanks again everyone - I would never have thought of it being something like that.

Jen xx

Latest posts

Back