Tattoo's and piercings in the industry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will find that chefs aren't allowed to wear their piercings they would have to be removed they would be classed as a health hazard, can you image finding one of their studs or bars in your food! The food industry have very high health and safety standards for obvious reasons.

You can't remove a tattoo for the day and put it back on when you finish work. I understand and agree with you to a certain extent. I just see it as just because some one has tattoos or piercings people won't come for treatments as the saying goes never judge a book by it's cover. I AM NOT ARGUING with any one about it. It's just different opinions the world would be boring if we all had the same minds and like the same things.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I AM NOT ARGUING with any one about it. It's just different opinions the world would be boring if we all had the same minds and like the same things.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Not sure where the arguing thing comes from, unless having a difference of opinion constitutes an argument?!

Depends entirely on the location of your business and the type of client you wish to attract. Where I work there was outrage when a local shop owner had tattoos and a lot of people wouldn't go into his shop. We have to remember that not everyone is young, modern and forward looking, and there are women of certain ages and backgrounds, often with a high disposable income who have very definite ideas on a professional image, why risk alienating a possible revenue stream for things that can be removed and covered?!

I am young and modern, well I think I am. I have a tattoo on the inside of my left wrist, most people don't notice it but I do cover it up for work. I don't like to see tattoos and piercings when I go to a salon and especially not full arms of tattoo I like that a business is uniform and all the staff are dressed the same, made up and nice hair. I'm not bothered about hair colours I think that's individual.

But the point is a client will never know how great your treatments are if they are put off by the image you are presenting! There're a reason why doctors, nurses and others in health industries aren't walking about with piercings and tattoos all over, which is that some people find it gives an unprofessional image.

I personally like tattoos and piercings, and have piercings myself, but that's irrelevant to my business. I don't wear mine to work as I know some people are put off by them, so why limit my client base? As to the suggestion that most people have piercings and tattoos, this will depend on where you live and the circles you move in, I can assure you that hardly anyone where I work has anything but pierced ears!

As to the 'if they don't like it it's their loss' attitude, I have to say it's actually not their loss as they'll go elsewhere - it's you loss! In this line of work we'll always have clients that have different opinions to our own about appearance, acceptable behaviour, political opinion etc etc, we can't just build a business on only having clients who have the same opinions.

Part of a service industry is realising the service is about the experience of the person receiving it, it's not about the predilections of the person providing it.

I totally agree with this. I have moved from an area in Leeds where many had tattoos and piercings and wouldn't have been bothered what I was wearing but now I live in a more affluent area people ate more black and White I haven't seen any tattoos or extreme piercings in fact I haven't seen a bright hair colour or eyeshadow. So to make the most of business I will appear the same and when I'm at home or going out I will show my tattoo and wear my bright eye shadow because alienating my clients or potential clients is detrimental to my business. I am an image in work time afterward I can be as individual as I like.

So to make the most of business I will appear the same and when I'm at home or going out I will show my tattoo and wear my bright eye shadow because alienating my clients or potential clients is detrimental to my business. I am an image in work time afterward I can be as individual as I like.

That's exactly how I see it - it's not about our own personal predilections but rather the end user, and as work is work and not an extension of our free time I don't see why one wouldn't make the effort to maintain a professional image in line with other health and service professionals. Doctors, nurses, dentists, hygienists, bankers, waiters, receptionists etc etc, all of which deal directly with the public have a certain clean and professional look, which does not include visible piercings and tattoos.

The hair & beauty salon i work in is rock n roll themed so all my tattoos are not out of place and for nails and express beauty we cross i.e i am a stylist an nail tech our colour technician also waxes tans and does eyelashes however we do have a therapist for massage and holistic who prefers to "look like a beautician" and that is HER choice altho no joggies would be allowed our uniform is smart but casual and fitting to the salon image

Last edited:
If you’ve decided to get a new tattoo and don’t already have a design in mind there are a few things you should give careful consideration to. Whatever you choose will be on you for a lifetime unless you undergo expensive laser removal or another tattoo session which could result in a clumsy looking cover up.

i feel that beauty therapist and or others who work with the general public or have clients & customers should not have to hide who they really are by removing their piercings and hiding tattoos. they're job proformance should not judged on body modifcation because it was the persons own choice to go and get these modifcation and some also feel more confidence with the body modifcations therefor how they preform at work should not be judged on piercings because well its discrimination to that person's ability to do there job. noone should be discriminated on ever & everyone suffers from it at one point in there life and they know how it feels so why should those people discriminate on people who are showing there true self and being original and being uniqe in there own way...

Why am I only now seeing this thread :irked::) Anyway here's my few cents for what it's worth.

I remember when studying beauty one of the cruise companies came to do a recruitment drive. One of the points the recruiter mentioned that really stuck with me was that to work for them you couldn't have any visible tattoos. That didn't sit well with me, it almost felt like discrimination after all don't they want to hire the best therapist for the job or was their only concern about how their staff looked and the image the company portrays? As someone who doesn't fit the stereo typical 'beauty therapist' mould I became concerned about my employment options if this was how business owners/recruiters behaved. Thankfully they're not all like that and I've been able to work in high end and local salons and felt comfortable in my surroundings as well as maintain my integrity. Although I do think it's mainly spa's that use that mould as a recruitment tool and not salons which have always been my place of employment.

Do I think that therapists should be presentable?...yes! Do I think that in order to be presentable therapists should hide their self expression?.....no. Do I think that clients really care about how you look?....personally I don't. I think as long as your great at what you do, follow your codes of practice and the client feels comfortable with you then that's all that counts. I think that stereo typical image of beauty therapist does a dis-service to all who don't fit it and think it's time for that mould to be broken.

That's my humble opinion.

Why am I only now seeing this thread :irked::) Anyway here's my few cents for what it's worth.

I remember when studying beauty one of the cruise companies came to do a recruitment drive. One of the points the recruiter mentioned that really stuck with me was that to work for them you couldn't have any visible tattoos. That didn't sit well with me, it almost felt like discrimination after all don't they want to hire the best therapist for the job or was their only concern about how their staff looked and the image the company portrays? As someone who doesn't fit the stereo typical 'beauty therapist' mould I became concerned about my employment options if this was how business owners/recruiters behaved. Thankfully they're not all like that and I've been able to work in high end and local salons and felt comfortable in my surroundings as well as maintain my integrity. Although I do think it's mainly spa's that use that mould as a recruitment tool and not salons which have always been my place of employment.

Do I think that therapists should be presentable?...yes! Do I think that in order to be presentable therapists should hide their self expression?.....no. Do I think that clients really care about how you look?....personally I don't. I think as long as your great at what you do, follow your codes of practice and the client feels comfortable with you then that's all that counts. I think that stereo typical image of beauty therapist does a dis-service to all who don't fit it and think it's time for that mould to be broken.

Well said.

throughout college our hair had to be brushed and tied back neatly with no hair falling over the face, no piercings (still wore my bellybar tho), no jewellery, flat closed toe shoes, clean ironed uniform, light day makeup and short 'naked' nails. since qualifying i do tend to put my hair in a messy bun, and wear sandals to show off my toenails in summer. i also wear stud earings and i have a tattoo on my foot which is visible when i wear sandals or pumps with no socks, and i also have another tattoo on the back of my neck which is visible depending what tunic i wear. if they're noticed i get compliments on how nice they are. im always well presented and to be honest if you look the part, do your treatments well and keep the clients happy i think thats all that matters! :) x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Well said.

En to that lol!!

Hey
I work in beauty/cosmetic clinic type of field and I have tattoos and a nose ring etc etc and I have found that if people are going to have a problem with these kinda things then it doesn't matter what type of industry your in they will just have a problem but that's there opinion but I don't really think of my tattoos when dressing for work if you can see my tattoos then you see them and I can't and won't hide my nose piercing.

I find that if you approach people in a happy and pleasant manner then most of the time they don't care what you look like :)

Latest posts

Back