Teaching - How to start in beauty industry?


Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oct 2, 2007
Reaction score
Guildford, Surrey
I have a dream to teach my skills to others and I wondered what the prerequisites are in terms of experience and qualifications...how do you get started? Can anyone offer any help please? :!:

I have the same dream to teach beauty one day. i went to a local college open day and basicly all you need is:

  • to have worked in the industry for 5 years or more
  • and also to have teaching hours it may be paid or voluntry
i would start asking around a few local colleges that do the courses you wish to teach and see if they would give you the hours then go to a local college with regard the teaching
hope this helps

good luck!!
You also need to have teaching qualifications,
you start with the 7303 city and guilds and then go on to do the 7304 city and guilds and there is more courses after this but I'm not sure which ones hth
Providing you have the qualifications and experience of the subject you can start to teach whilst studying for your teaching qualifications. These vary for college to college and the university providing the training. If you already have a degree you can do PGCE if not go for Cert Ed, it's hard going but really worth it. We all graduate from University of Plymouth at Truro Catherdral next month and have a real sense of achievement (although seeing a group of nail/skin/hair geeks in caps and gowns will be something you need to see to be believed lol)

go for it, you will love it. good luck:hug:
Passing on your skills is only a microscopic part of being a teacher, believe me we all go into teaching with our eyes closed! You need to be very I.T. literate, able to support students (or learners as they are now called, I'm a bit old fashioned - sorry!!), produce statistics for retention, achievement, ethnicity etc., be able to teach to your students' ability to learn - called learning styles, be able to indicate differentiation for each student's individual needs - and a ton of other stuff I won't bore you with now!:lol:, even teaching English and maths skills. Having a Certification of Education is only the start, you will also need qualifications for assessing students' practical assessments.

There is an enormous thrill in teaching, it can physically and emotionally enhausting, you are after all "on show" for many hours at a time - it is rather like being on stage and performing to a very critical audience. When you see your students doing what you can do, perhaps not as confidently at first, it is rather thrilling and some students just warm your heart and put a huge smile on your face when they get it right.

I wish you lots of luck and a very supportive mentor when you start.
To complete the Cert Ed you will need at least an NVQ level three or above. and as someone has already said you would need to be working and gaining experience in the industry for around five years. (It's worth checking details at your local college/University)
The Cert-Ed is completed in different time scales dependant upon where you study. I've just graduated after two years. It was also necessary for my college, that I should complete my A1 assessor course at the same time, as they needed me to assess candidates.

Most colleges are happy to take you on for teaching hours, where you would normally be shadowing a more experienced lecturer.
They are more likely to provide you with the hours you need if you are completing the PGCE/Cert Ed at the same establishment.

I found the whole experience to be a real eye opener.

If its what you want to do, go for it.....

You will have gained a valuable qualification.

Sue x
Do you not find that the rules keep changing? No time you have finished one and then another will apear !
What about if you wanted to set up your own academy? or your own short courses?

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of - not teaching in a college full time.
What about if you wanted to set up your own academy? or your own short courses?


Hi you could get in touch with Babtac , City and Guilds or Habia may have some good nformation packs on this ,:hug:

hiya, im doing the A1 assessor award at the moment, once ive completed i have to register with city and guilds to become a test centre which than allows you to do short courses. phone city n guilds they really helpful, good luck:)
What about if you wanted to set up your own academy? or your own short courses?



This can vary across the industry. HABIA are good ones to contact about industry regulations. The other thing to remember is that once you have set up your school, you have no guarantee that your certificates will be accepted by insurance companies.

We at the Guild have an accreditation process, where we will go through the course manuals of all your courses in detail. Once accredited, we can then ensure that your students can gain insurance with us, however, this only covers what we will accept and not what other insurance companies will.

If you would like any more information, feel free to PM me.

Latest posts