Technicians that stock both Gelish and Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrogers

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

As suggested in the title I am looking for a bit of advice on three of my regular clients. They have been clients of mine for over a year now and have had gelish from day one every three weeks.

I have recently purchased the platinum shellac kit and the Brisa lite smoothing gel kit and all three clients tried a shellac colour and the Brisa lite smoothing gel.

Yesterday I received a text saying that they have peeled etc at first I panicked yet when I checked my diary they were done three weeks ago tomorrow!!

My questions are firstly how do other geeks sell each products? The benefits and negatives of each brand? I would like to continue to offer both shellac and gelish yet I am struggling with how to compare the two on a client level without somehow dissing the other brand

Also, they insist on booking in every 3-4 weeks, I have tried everything to get them to come in every fortnight but it's not happening so I have to give up on that one I think.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you in advance

Jody

Hi geeks,

As suggested in the title I am looking for a bit of advice on three of my regular clients. They have been clients of mine for over a year now and have had gelish from day one every three weeks.

I have recently purchased the platinum shellac kit and the Brisa lite smoothing gel kit and all three clients tried a shellac colour and the Brisa lite smoothing gel.

Yesterday I received a text saying that they have peeled etc at first I panicked yet when I checked my diary they were done three weeks ago tomorrow!!

My questions are firstly how do other geeks sell each products? The benefits and negatives of each brand? I would like to continue to offer both shellac and gelish yet I am struggling with how to compare the two on a client level without somehow dissing the other brand

Also, they insist on booking in every 3-4 weeks, I have tried everything to get them to come in every fortnight but it's not happening so I have to give up on that one I think.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you in advance

Jody

Firstly, Im sorry to hear you got the dreaded text :(
Secondly, I only ever say Shellac will last 2 weeks (without brisa) then when they get longer they are pleasantly suprised. With brisa i would say 2-3 weeks.
I have a client that has got 4 weeks out of her nails a coulpe of times (if not more).BUT now if they chip within this time she 'expects' a free repair. I am re-doing my leaflets stating a charge after the advertised life guide.

I feel your pain :lol:

Thank you so much for your reply :) I know I hate getting a texts from clients, my stomach sinks!

I don't get clients sometimes, normal nail polish will literally last a few days if that yet two weeks wear and they are still not satisfied! Haha

I do both gelish and shellac , but really my gelish is just sitting there since the invention of brisa lite :) I used to use the gelish for people with peeling nails as i did find to stay on longer with it. But i find brisa lite is just as good if not better than it and it soooo much easier to get off, my gelish has now really been put to one side to go over acrylics for people who want a permanent colour.

As for your client , its a tough one isn't it :) she has probably been a bit heavy handed with her nails and because she knows its a new product will try and blame the product. I don't give any guarantees to how long they will last, when asked I normally say something like "well it really depends on how your treat them, you might get a week out of them if your heavy handed and you might get 3 weeks out of them if your really careful but most people get about 2 weeks. " so if they get anything over 2 weeks there thrilled and if the get less than 2 weeks they usually admit of being heavy handed with them :D

I would refund or redo for free, just explain that she did well to get the 3 weeks out of them , and explain even if you were to repair one nail for free , there time is up anyway and they need to be redone! Best of luck xx

Edit: opps ment to say wouldn't refund ! sorry

Last edited:
But i find brisa lite is just as good if not better than it and it soooo much easier to get off, my gelish has now really been put to one side to go over acrylics for people who want a permanent colour.

Are you saying that Brisa Lite removes easier than ordinary Gelish? I am finding that hard to believe given the times quoted for Brisa Lite removal.

In the salon I currently work in we offer Shellac. However after completing my Fusion Acrylic Nail Course using Nail Harmony products we have been thinking about changing to Gelish. We trialled the product on our selves and we love it, much better colour choice and stays on for longer!

Most of my clients have Shellac, I have the odd two that have Bio Sculpture Gel. I start the majority on Shellac then move them onto Bio if its not suitable for that particular client. The problem I'm finding is that my clients can only keep them on for around 2 weeks as we don't use Brisa. Then the clients feel like they should have lasted longer, however I do inform every client it will only last around 2 weeks depending on their lifestyle. The clients tend to turn around and blame me as I am only 16 and an apprentice, therefore I'm loosing business either to another member of staff or a completely different Salon.

I am having a one to one course tomorrow for Gelish and we are going to offer it at the trial price of £15 to try drum up business for the clients who are not too impressed with Shellac and wouldn't mind giving Gelish a shot. Hopefully this will work and we will replace Shellac or Bio with Gelish. We do not want to be offering all three systems as we are only a small business. Hope this helps xx

Are you saying that Brisa Lite removes easier than ordinary Gelish? I am finding that hard to believe given the times quoted for Brisa Lite removal.

I am saying that :) I have both of them and with Gelish I wrap for 15 mins and there are always little stubborn bits that just don't want to come off. Whereas I know brisa lite is quoted as saying it need 15 mins to soak off but I find 10 mins is plenty and it slides right off the nail for me, the very odd occasion there would be a stubborn bit if i'm completely honesty but nowhere near as much as i have found with Gelish , this is just my opinion of course !

Thanks everyone for your responses.

As a newbie... I am loving shellac and I love the Brisa lite even more!

The no buffing of the natural nail is selling it for me big time... Clients are even inboxing me on Facebook asking about this point alone!! I know gelish have a HUGE variety of colours but so do shellac with layering etc also sometimes I find gelish have too many colours :-( every time I buy one collection a few weeks later and another one comes out so I always felt I was spending a huge amount on products. I have obviously used both products and I love both but not sure how to explain the pros and cons of each one to the clients... It's great to read other people's opinions tho!! Love SG :)

I did my first shellac soak off last week on my mum, she had shellac with Brisa light. I use the full shellac system so I applied the nourishing remover to a Cnd wrap and actually timed 15 minutes, I removed the wrap and I was stunned!! My mum was on the phone and the time an even she stopped talking to say oh my god where's it gone?! Haha! It is literally off on 15 minutes, if there are any little stubborn bits remaining I just apply a little bit more remover to a lint free pad and scrub into the nail and it's off.

I am saying that I have both of them and with Gelish I wrap for 15 mins and there are always little stubborn bits that just don't want to come off. Whereas I know brisa lite is quoted as saying it need 15 mins to soak off but I find 10 mins is plenty and it slides right off the nail for me, the very odd occasion there would be a stubborn bit if i'm completely honesty but nowhere near as much as i have found with Gelish , this is just my opinion of course !
Interesting. I would like to have a soak off enhancement system, so I wouldn't mind trying Brisa Lite, but I'm waiting to see if can be cured with my Harmony LED. I don't want to give up Gelish, which my clients and I love, and I don't want another LED lamp. So it will be either Brisa Lite with my Harmony lamp (if that is possible) or waiting for Harmony (or OPI) to introduce a soft gel.

Hello

I offered Gelish for about two years before investing in Shellac. I bought Shellac simply because customers were asking for it by name and there was a demand for it.

Originally I kept Gelish purely because of the variation in colours, I found the colours suited the younger clientelle more than shellac. However since learning of additives and the many other nail art options Gelish is no longer needed and I have got rid of it. It has been gone three weeks now and not one client has even noticed!

I read a post by geeg yesterday on another thread which hit the nail on the head. I wish I could remember word for word what she said but basically she said that more than one brand confuses customers and as therapists we sell the thing we are most excited about leaving the other perfectly good service on the shelf x

Interesting. I would like to have a soak off enhancement system, so I wouldn't mind trying Brisa Lite, but I'm waiting to see if can be cured with my Harmony LED. I don't want to give up Gelish, which my clients and I love, and I don't want another LED lamp. So it will be either Brisa Lite with my Harmony lamp (if that is possible) or waiting for Harmony (or OPI) to introduce a soft gel.

What I am talking about in this thread is the Brisa Lite smoothing gel, it's akin to the structure gel by Gelish. Not to be confused with the Brisa Lite Scultping Gel which would be used for enhancements. Neither can be cured in a Harmony lamp and only cure in the CND Lamp I'm afraid :(

I did my first shellac soak off last week on my mum, she had shellac with Brisa light. I use the full shellac system so I applied the nourishing remover to a Cnd wrap and actually timed 15 minutes, I removed the wrap and I was stunned!! My mum was on the phone and the time an even she stopped talking to say oh my god where's it gone?! Haha! It is literally off on 15 minutes, if there are any little stubborn bits remaining I just apply a little bit more remover to a lint free pad and scrub into the nail and it's off.

Do you mean Brisa lite smoothing gel or sculpting?

What I am talking about in this thread is the Brisa Lite smoothing gel, it's akin to the structure gel by Gelish. Not to be confused with the Brisa Lite Scultping Gel which would be used for enhancements. Neither can be cured in a Harmony lamp and only cure in the CND Lamp I'm afraid :(

Yes, I know that's true at the moment, that's why I haven't tried it. I'm wondering more about when CND bring out their LED lamp, how different will it be? (Sorry lamp deviation :lol:).

Actually, I find Harmony Structure Gel and Vitagel easier to remove than normal Gelish for some reason.

You are right that I am thinking about Brisa Lite Sculpting rather than Smoothing. I am happy with Harmony Structure and Vitagel for those jobs at the moment, its a soak off sculpting system I want, compatible with my Harmony lamp.

As soon as the CND led light comes out I plan to transition over. One led lamp for a hard gel, a soak off gel and a soak off polish! And I'm sure is coming soon a matching RNP. What more do you want? I'll keep my Gelish to use up but won't stock more.

Wonder if the CND Led lamp will cure other products like their UV one does?!?

I own 5 lamps for curing different products over the years ... I also would have loved one lamp that would have cured everything! The science behind the products and the curing of them has however, taught me that reaching a guaranteed full cure with 'one lamp for all' is not possible.

LED is just a type of bulb ... It's not magic ... Distance, UV output and how the bulbs are placed in the lamp ... ALL have a part to play in achieving full cure. With Shellac being the super safe product it is with fewer photo-initiators and free of many ingredients contained in gels, the lamp for it needs to be specific. I don't see that it will be any different when CND release a lamp that uses LED bulbs. But no doubt 'all will be revealed, in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that's true at the moment, that's why I haven't tried it. I'm wondering more about when CND bring out their LED lamp, how different will it be? (Sorry lamp deviation :lol:).

Actually, I find Harmony Structure Gel and Vitagel easier to remove than normal Gelish for some reason.

You are right that I am thinking about Brisa Lite Sculpting rather than Smoothing. I am happy with Harmony Structure and Vitagel for those jobs at the moment, its a soak off sculpting system I want, compatible with my Harmony lamp.

And me! Very jealous of the Brisa Sculpting for its soak off properties. I like GHG but would rather have a soak off product

I own 5 lamps for curing different products over the years ... I also would have loved one lamp that would have cured everything! The science behind the products and the curing of them has however, taught me that reaching a guaranteed full cure with 'one lamp for all' is not possible.

LED is just a type of bulb ... It's not magic ... Distance, UV output and how the bulbs are placed in the lamp ... ALL have a part to play in achieving full cure. With Shellac being the super safe product it is with fewer photo-initiators and free of many ingredients contained in gels, the lamp for it needs to be specific. I don't see that it will be any different when CND release a lamp that uses LED bulbs. But no doubt 'all will be revealed, in the not too distant future.

Morning Geeg,
I'm still wondering if our older shellac will be compatable to the new LED or will decanting from an older shellac into a newer one cause a problem ? Maybe we'll have to wait till the LED is launched, I'm just curious.

Latest posts

Back