Teeth whitening in salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soriminah

Reaction score
This just in from Australia:

Beauty therapist fined for whitening teeth - Yahoo!7 News

A Melbourne magistrate has effectively ruled that teeth whitening procedures must only be carried out by registered dentists, after a beauty therapist was fined $2000 for carrying out the treatment.
The trial of the beauty therapist, held in March, was the first time the legality of teeth whitening by an unregistered practitioner was tested in Australia.
The therapist was convicted and fined on Wednesday at the Heidelberg Magistrates' Court for practising dentistry while not being registered as a dental care provider.
Magistrate Jill Crowe said tooth whitening was an "invasive and irreversible procedure" and should only be performed by registered dental care providers.
The Dental Practice Board of Victoria brought the charge against the beauty therapist after a customer complained following a tooth whitening procedure in August 2007.
The customer suffered severe mottling and marbled teeth, gum ulcerations and chemical burns, the board said.
A board spokesman said the ruling set a precedent and would ensure that tooth whitening was only performed by people with dental training

I think its right though! anything like that should defo be only carried out by a qualified dentist or perhaps dental nurse. You've only one set of teeth its too risky! the dangers are massive! I got my Britesmile whitening done this year in my local dentists.. it cost me a fair bit but it was defo worth it rather than taking a chance just cos its cheaper!

Hi

i had mine done in a beauty salon i used to work in as it only cost me £99. The person doing it was not a dentist but she was excellent at her job and the results were very good. However, i can understand people being cautious.

I only had it done because i knew other people who'd been treated by her and seen their results and heard about their experiences.

BB
x

Hi

i had mine done in a beauty salon i used to work in as it only cost me £99. The person doing it was not a dentist but she was excellent at her job and the results were very good. However, i can understand people being cautious.

I only had it done because i knew other people who'd been treated by her and seen their results and heard about their experiences.

BB
x

Thats great BUT it is about being qualified enough to be able to handle any complications. It is simply not acceptable to be able to offer a treatment - however well it is delivered, without the back-up or qualifications to manage when things go wrong - and believe me they can and do. So in reality, being cautious is not enough protection. It is not intended to sound derogatory to beauty therapists at all. The same issues come to play with therapists offering dermal fillers - wholly inadequate and unacceptable.

Latest posts

Back