Telling parents you're pregnant-how did you do it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't do it by text, it's too important news. Just sit down with her, she is you Mum, and even if she is a bit shocked I am sure she will come round.

I agree, I think I'd be more upset with getting the news by text..

Really :( I just feel like she's going to go mad if I did it face to face atleast if I text I won't see her go mad... Zz

When I was pregnant with my first I was 18 Ileft her a letter and went to collage I think the best thing to do is tell her face to face xx

Are you close with your mum if you don't mind me asking?

Speaking as an older member of this forum with a daughter of 32 if she had got pregnant at 19 and did not tell me she was pregnant I would be devastated

Yes I may have been a little disappointed at that age but at the end of the day she is my daughter and I love her come what may .

As a mother of grown up children i like to think that I am always the support they can rely on

TELL her - and just take whatever comes . It will all be fine in the end anyway whatever her reaction . She may be a little taken aback but that's natural .

She deserves the respect of you telling her face to face

Last edited:
Yeh I am close but she will mean well I think she just wants more for me than a baby right now if you know what I mean ... I don't think my dads reaction will be as bad I hope haha x

I was petrified telling my dad that I was pregnant... He raised me alone and I was only 19 so thought he would hit the roof! I told him in tears hiding behind the bathroom door.. He just gave me a cuddle and now absolutely dotes on my little boy! X

Good luck I cringe when I think of how my mother found out. However durng times likes these your mum is your best pal.
Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeh I am close but she will mean well I think she just wants more for me than a baby right now if you know what I mean ... I don't think my dads reaction will be as bad I hope haha x

If your close your mum will be upset if you didnt tell her face to face. I know what You mean about disappointed but that literally is a split second feeling I think the next is I'm going to be a nana/granny how exciting
You can still have a career it just takes a back seat for a little while xx

I've got an 18 year old daughter.

It wouldn't be my ideal choice for her to have a baby so young, but if she did, I would support her all the way.
I would actually be quite upset if I thought she couldn't tell me something as important as that.

My Mum had me at 18 too, so I've got a nice young Mum for my age :)

I also run a business, I managed to have two more babies and keep my business going - they are only 4 & 6 yrs old

Where there is a will, there is a way...

Wishing you the very best of luck :)

regards
Gina

Speaking as an older member of this forum with a daughter of 32 if she had got pregnant at 19 and did not tell me she was pregnant I would be devastated

Yes I may have been a little disappointed at that age but at the end of the day she is my daughter and I love her come what may .

As a mother of grown up children i like to think that I am always the support they can rely on

TELL her - and just take whatever comes . It will all be fine in the end anyway whatever her reaction . She may be a little taken aback but that's natural .

She deserves the respect of you telling her face to face

Wise words,

I was 22 and brought some maternity jeans and said too my mom and dad 'look at my new jeans' holding them up for them too see they had a big stretchy belly lol
It was 3 months before my wedding which we had been planning for 2 years, my baby was planned and I loved being pregnant on my wedding day, my older sister was about 7 months pregnant when I told my parents so they had two pregnant daughters too deal with but they were pleased and I had been with my partner for 8 years and lived together for 3 years so it was kind of the next step for us really.
Sorry rambled on there abit, my advice is just tell her, be honest, tell her your scared and I'm sure she will be fine, if she's abit disappointed to start with just let her be and she will soon come round and I'm sure you will share the rest of your pregnancy with your mom and do all the fun things like shopping for prams etc and first scan in a few weeks.
Oh and Congratulations and hope all goes well tomorrow :)

I was nervous and I was married, I lived in Cyprus at the time came home and it was my birthday so mum opened a bottle of fizz to celebrate and I couldn't drink it so she knew straight away

Good luck x

My son txt me and told me he had something to tell me but didn't want me to be angry or to feel let down.. The things running through my brain while waiting for him to pick up the call were horrendous but daft as he's always been a good lad.
When he told me I was releived it wasn't something seriously life or death or involving police.. His reason for the txt was they'd told her parents the day before and they'd insisted on termination n were very very unhappy.
I told them both I will wait for their decision on their plans but they had my total support either way, esp as he was 18 and she was 16...
Well baby is now 2.5 and they've another due in 6wks.
They told me about this one by inviting me for tea and my granddaughter come out wearing an 'I'm a big sister' T-shirt.. I cried haha what a sap, a happy sap ;)

My daughter was 23 when she was expecting hers and told me she thought she may be and tested with me waiting outside.. Again I did my sappy mum thing ;)

I was 16 when preg with my first.. I didn't tell my mother until I was almost 7mo - I hadn't lived at home since 14 so wasn't really imperative that she knew - the response I got was 'OK, so am I' there are exactly 6 months between my daughter and lil sister, my daughter being older than her auntie lol.

I didn't feel bothered finding out there was news via txt but it depends on the relationship you have with your mum.
I wish you love and mushy mum good luck vibes, I'm sure she'll be shocked but that will give way to the memories of how cute n gorgeous her own babies were n she'll soften to the idea of being a Nana :)

Oh I'll quickly share how my son told his dad.. He simply txt and said 'what would you prefer.. Grandad, grandpa, pops or something else'
Lol he's pops and his wife is mops ;) x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

I was 17 when I was first pregnant but sadly miscarried, I was pregnant again at 18 and it was still really awkward telling my dad.

The first time, I told my mum, and got her to tell my dad. In more worried about my dad than I am my mum.

The second I just told my dad.

He was disappointed and all the usual, expected stuff. But he came round and built an extension doubling the size if his house so me, my partner and baby could live there!

Even when I had my 2nd child when I was 20 I was still worried.

And then when I had my 3rd at 24 I still felt like he may be disappointed, but by that time my 3rd child was his 5th grandchild! He was wayyyy over it lol

My children are 9,7 and 4 and I have many hopes and dreams for them but my main hope for them is they live the life that makes them happy. What ever that is, how ever that is and when ever that is.

I'm sure your parents think the same. If they do react badly. Just give them space for a while let them the think over. Then approach them and explain again.

Having your first child is one if the most amazing experiences EVER. I can not begin to explain how special it is. Your parents won't want to miss out on sharing this special time with you.

Good luck

Jemima :)

That's the deed done ! I spoke to my mum instead of texting her I just started crying and told her that I had been to the doctors for my pill and they had tested me and said I was pregnant.. She wasn't as mad as I thought I think it was because I was crying... But she was really disappointed and said to me I think you should think about this . I told her abortion wasn't an option I couldn't do that .. She then text my dad and he has said all the same lets hope there happy soon because I feel more than awkward sitting in the car with her going to work...

I was 28 when I first fell pregnant and when I told my hubby's mum & dad all we got was "oh ok" my hubby wanted to tell his nan as well, she is 93 and we got from her "I think you can do with out it" which really upset us both.
But when we told my mum she started crying as she was over the moon my sister started to cry too. My dad was half asleep and thought I was lying.
2nd pregnancy all parents took it well, my hubby's sister was annoyed with us as she wants another child and since my youngest has been born she has not spoken to us or seen our children. Mainly down to our choice of name for our son. Her loss not mine.

Tell her face to face, she could possibly be more hurt by a text then you think.

Congrats also!! xx

That's the deed done ! I spoke to my mum instead of texting her I just started crying and told her that I had been to the doctors for my pill and they had tested me and said I was pregnant.. She wasn't as mad as I thought I think it was because I was crying... But she was really disappointed and said to me I think you should think about this . I told her abortion wasn't an option I couldn't do that .. She then text my dad and he has said all the same lets hope there happy soon because I feel more than awkward sitting in the car with her going to work...

Well done, its all out in the open now. She is most likely in shock, im sure she will come round. Is she coming to the midwife appointment with you? Xx

I'm glad all went well, your folks will come around.. My sons in laws did once they realised they were serious about becoming parents and of course our granddaughter is the apple of their eye now :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Well done for telling her face too face x

Latest posts

Back