Terrified of flying!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there I am also the kind of person who is/was phobic of lifts, trains, buses, being a passenger in a car, boats are the worst. Its a fear of loss of control, or like a chlostrophobia thing. It was restricting my life so much as I am also too scared to drive on the motor way or go on the train out of cornwall (you has to cross a bridge to get out of cornwall over water- dont like that ether). It was controlling my life so much and I have made myself go in lifts and get on trains, as I have exposed myself to them its got better! My advice would be as other have said to get a short flight- anywhere in spain, or the baleric islands, (majorca, menorca, ibiza) as the flights are realy quick. As a person who was scared of all the thing I wrote about flying was actualy one of the least scary! Now I actualy dont mind it! Oh and go onto youtube, and type in plane take off or landing people have filmed it with their phones on flight mode and you can see exactly what it will look like when you take off or land. Good luck and once you have been abroad its just so amazing! You will want to go back! XX
Good luck xxx

Just a quick update....first hypno session went really well, I already feel a lot better about it although I am going to have 2 more sessions before hol and one after I get back. Would definitely recommend it to anyone :) I started having a panic attack as soon as I sat down and he got me to do a few things and it went straight away. There is hope for us whimps :) xx

My fear of flying started about 10 years ago, before that I had been to Australia, Cyprus, Turkey and Spain.

On my last flight there was a delay, and it was announced that there were engine problems, and that did it for me, since then I have been terrified.

My OH wants us to go abroad but so far I have managed to convince him to stay in the UK.

I am also scared of Lifts, and being in a car while it goes up hill, and if the car has to stop at lights or in traffic whilst on the hill I really panic.

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I am actually looking forward to going on holiday! You have all made me feel better! :) x

At least if you are scared on the way there you won't want to come home!! :D

No honestly hun, you have ages yet to get used to the idea, and once you've been and you have an amazing time and got a beautiful tan, I am sure you will be able to put the flying to the back of your head if you just think SUN SUN SUN! Lets book another one as soon as we get back.

You HAVE to fly to get to these amazing places so if you just go to get some calming tablets before you go, you wont worry so much. Buy lots of sweets to chew on the way up, and enjoy them throughout the rest of the flight.

I hope the calming tablets help you!!

For me - it is a MUST to go on holiday at least 1 x year and hoping after Sep it will be for you too xxx :hug:

Just a quick update....first hypno session went really well, I already feel a lot better about it although I am going to have 2 more sessions before hol and one after I get back. Would definitely recommend it to anyone :) I started having a panic attack as soon as I sat down and he got me to do a few things and it went straight away. There is hope for us whimps :) xx

Glad to hear it went ok' hope the other 2 sessions make you feel better! x x

My fear of flying started about 10 years ago, before that I had been to Australia, Cyprus, Turkey and Spain.

On my last flight there was a delay, and it was announced that there were engine problems, and that did it for me, since then I have been terrified.

My OH wants us to go abroad but so far I have managed to convince him to stay in the UK.

I am also scared of Lifts, and being in a car while it goes up hill, and if the car has to stop at lights or in traffic whilst on the hill I really panic.

I hate going downhill in a car if it's going fast lol! Hope you manage to go abroad soon! X

At least if you are scared on the way there you won't want to come home!! :D

No honestly hun, you have ages yet to get used to the idea, and once you've been and you have an amazing time and got a beautiful tan, I am sure you will be able to put the flying to the back of your head if you just think SUN SUN SUN! Lets book another one as soon as we get back.

You HAVE to fly to get to these amazing places so if you just go to get some calming tablets before you go, you wont worry so much. Buy lots of sweets to chew on the way up, and enjoy them throughout the rest of the flight.

I hope the calming tablets help you!!

For me - it is a MUST to go on holiday at least 1 x year and hoping after Sep it will be for you too xxx :hug:

Lol! Don't say that, I'll miss my mom too much if I don't come back! :) lol. I am sure I will love it when I get there! Don't want to be an old lady and look back thinking iv never ever seen the world!! :( xx

Thanks Hollie, next session is on Thursday so will keep you updated :) xx

Thanks Hollie, next session is on Thursday so will keep you updated :) xx

Ok look forward to hearing how it goes! X

Second session went well :) but emotional, have established that my P.A's have been caused by an underlying problem (doctor told me that a year ago but spent the last year in denial, convincing myself I'm fine) basically...my father died nearly 9 years ago when I was 18 and I buried my emotions and feelings (typical Scorpio female!) and 'got on with life'.

Having the hypnotherapy has taught me that "I" may be ok, but my subconscious isn't and now it needs to be dealt with. But even after 2 sessions...I'm already feeling a lot better and more confident that the flight will be fine :) one more session then I'm off. Then will have one more session after my hol to reaffirm everything.

So, i guess the moral of the story is, if anything has happened in your life....deal with it, grieve, whatever, but don't bury your head in the sand and put on an act 'cos it will come back to haunt you at some point in your life xxx

Second session went well :) but emotional, have established that my P.A's have been caused by an underlying problem (doctor told me that a year ago but spent the last year in denial, convincing myself I'm fine) basically...my father died nearly 9 years ago when I was 18 and I buried my emotions and feelings (typical Scorpio female!) and 'got on with life'.

Having the hypnotherapy has taught me that "I" may be ok, but my subconscious isn't and now it needs to be dealt with. But even after 2 sessions...I'm already feeling a lot better and more confident that the flight will be fine :) one more session then I'm off. Then will have one more session after my hol to reaffirm everything.

So, i guess the moral of the story is, if anything has happened in your life....deal with it, grieve, whatever, but don't bury your head in the sand and put on an act 'cos it will come back to haunt you at some point in your life xxx

Sorry to hear about your dad. That's very sad. Glad your finding it helpful and I hope your flight is better. I have been telling my mom about hypnotherapy as she is on tablets for suffering bad panic attacks. She can't go anywhere unless she knows there is going to be a toilet. Not because she needs to go all the time but it causes her to have a bad panic attack if there isn't a toilet. It's really affecting her life. Do you mind me asking if you are paying to have your hypnotherapy? She's interested In finding out about it, there's so many things that she would like to do. I went to Blackpool last week for the day with my boyfriend and my mom said she would of loved to of come but as there isn't a toilet Regularly on the motorway she would of had panic attacks, they limit things she can do and I think she's getting used to her tablets as they are not working as well.

As for me! We have decided to book the holiday in january, iv got to get a passport first but I am looking forward to going more than I am scared! Xxx

Aww I'm glad you're looking forward to it! Where are you going? Yep I'm paying for it, it's quite expensive (£65 per session) but I'm right down south in Hampshire so I think everything tends to be more expensive down here. I was dubious about paying so much but it's working and it will hopefully give me my life back so definitely a price worth paying :) xxx

Aww I'm glad you're looking forward to it! Where are you going? Yep I'm paying for it, it's quite expensive (£65 per session) but I'm right down south in Hampshire so I think everything tends to be more expensive down here. I was dubious about paying so much but it's working and it will hopefully give me my life back so definitely a price worth paying :) xxx

Not sure where we are going yet. Maybe Greece!
Yes it is worth it and I'm glad it's working! Make sure you keep in touch! When is your holiday? Xx

2 weeks tomorrow we are off :) feeling very excited now, have already started packing haha. I've never been to Greece but its meant to be lovely there :) xxx

2 weeks tomorrow we are off :) feeling very excited now, have already started packing haha. I've never been to Greece but its meant to be lovely there :) xxx

Good :) have a lovely time! X x

Latest posts

Back