Terrified of flying!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, Im the same but I read a fab book by the best selling author allen carr..on fear of flying. Instead of trying to calm and relax you, it answers all the questions that you need answered. Ie what happens if an engine fails...what happens if the pilot falls ill....what happens in crazy turbulance...what happens if the landing gear fails....etc. It makes you realise that the plane is so safe and you really can relax and enjoy the flight.
For example...if the engines all fail (chance in a million) then the plane is able to glide into an airport and dosnt just fall out the sky. It can glide for 200 miles and every point on the flight map is within 200 miles of an airport. All systems have 2 back ups if the original fails etc etc. Well worth a read

This definitely looks like a 'must have' read. xx

Thanks girls I'll be off to book store too. I went on holiday with my parents ever year from 3 to 15 loved it never gave it a second thought then in April 09 my first ever girlie holiday and first holiday leaving my 3 and a half year old behind was so looking forward to it thou got so worked up in flight panic attack and serve anxiety of falling out the plane door couldn't get the thought out my help and was sick hostess was brill they have me suck back and something to calm me way home I wasn't looking forward to it though got on my seat forced myself to close my eyes and slept most of flight good luck it'd not like a fast driving car at all hun very smooth and you don't attactally feel like your moving if that makes sense xxxxx

Thank you for all the replies everyone! You have all actually made me feel better!! :) x

I'm also a scardey cat, irrational fears about everything! I hadn't flown until I was 20 and have been on 3 flights abroad and a few to birmigham from edinburgh, it was the last flight to birmingham that put the fear into me completely a tiny propeller plane and even though the skies were clear it felt like we had turbulance the whole way I was terrfied full on panic attack, I was by myself which I think made it worse! and booked the train to come home :o I'm determined to get on a palne again but not a small one lol I'm glad I read this will look into allen carr but I'm also seeing a therapist we're going to work on travel intensely next ,but doc also said I can have some heavy duty diazapam just incase lol
Goodluck :D xx

Flying didn't bother me when I was younger but as I got older and had my kids it really has put me off flying. We went abroad last year and chose Spain as it was only 2 1/2 hour flight and I got some tablets from the doctors to take the edge off and chill me out. It worked for me.

Flying didn't bother me when I was younger but as I got older and had my kids it really has put me off flying. We went abroad last year and chose Spain as it was only 2 1/2 hour flight and I got some tablets from the doctors to take the edge off and chill me out. It worked for me.

Sounds good, what were they? lol

I hate flying as a passenger!
Used to be a long & short-haul Air Hostess.
Maybe I miss the superior safety harness Crew get, or being next to the exit!
Honestly, you'll be fine - sometimes I had to fly up to 30 sectors a week & only had a few near misses......

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

What do you mean by near misses?! :O

Sounds good, what were they? lol

Diazepam. Oh they were good. Felt like a quick flight too but not for my husband who had to look after the kiddies.

I used to absolutely hate flying! I don't know why but I just didn't like it. I can honestly say, a glass or 2 of wine does the trick. I never used to be able to get on a plane without having one first. I'm much better now because I've done it loads & hardly bothers me. My mum flew for the first time only a couple of years ago. She was that scared of flying that she had never been abroad. When it came to the flight she loved it & has been away three times since. You may actually enjoy it x

Google 'Flying without dear'. It is a company thy is part of the Virgin group and it is all about helping people conquer their fear of flying. Some great info on the site.

Mat

Google 'Flying without dear'. It is a company thy is part of the Virgin group and it is all about helping people conquer their fear of flying. Some great info on the site.

Mat

Thank you will have a look!

I don't really like flying but I had hypnosis and I'm loads better now, I only had one session and could proberbly do with another but even though I still feel anxious I'm not half as bad as I was. I get nevous in crowds and traffic jams and things like that too so I think I was too complicated for one session to work. I think mine is mainly a fear of not being in control.

My mum on the other hand was terrified of flying, she used to hold your hand on a plane because she was nervous but hold your hand that tight it hurt. She had one session of hypnosis and is now sat by the window watching the world go by.

I was so sceptical before I tried it but now I honestly would recommend it to anyone.

Hi geeks! Just looking for a bit of encouragement lol! I'm terrified of flying, never been on a plane. My boyfriend is desperate for us to go on holiday next september for my birthday, he's asked hundreds of times and iv put it off for ages but finally gave in and said we could book it. I'm soo scared of getting on a plane!!! Is it really that bad?! I'm worried we will book it and I won't be able to get on the plane when it comes to it! Lol!! It's all I can think about! I'm scared of the taking off and landing, everyone has told me when your up in the air you can't even tell your moving? Help! Lol xx

I always hated flying too, used to be really scared, still am a little, but it doesnt stop me going on my holidays, I cry during take off and landing, but I do have to admit it does get easier everytime.

Why dont you try a short flight somewhere one weekend? Somewhere in the UK, so when you get to your holiday you are atleast prepared, and know what to expect?

You'll be okay, i'm sure your partner is supportive and will help you through it.

Just think after a few hours you'll be on a lovely beach somewhere in the sun.

xx

I to am very scared of flying, but I dont let it get the better of me. I take medication from the doctor and take it about two hours before flying and while flying it really does help, as when I get of the flight I cant remember anything about it.
I was not always like this I use to love flying and even got through my first interview to be a hostess then before I had second interveiw I had flown with two girls from work that were scared of flying and after that I then became affraid myself, hence I never did go for my second interview. I use to get myself in such a state that days before I would fly I would be a nervous wreck and when I did get on the plane I would start crying (Stupid I know). But I had to force myself or I would not have seen all the wonderful places that I have been.
Go to your doctor and enjoy the world.
Good luck. We all know how you feel.

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I am actually looking forward to going on holiday! You have all made me feel better! :) x

Hiya. I started having panic attacks (suffered the most horrendous nausea with it) first one I had ever had in my life was on the plane to Tenerife, didnt know what was happening to me! And then it went from bad to worse and I'd have a panic attack during normal things like going out for a meal, being stuck in traffic, really got me down. They are starting to get better but we have just booked a hol to Egypt, flying on the 28th June and I'm already s******g myself! Not worried about flying, worrying I'm going to have another attack!
But, I have booked in for hypnotherapy (got 4 sessions booked) first one tomorrow so will let you know how I get on :)
Xx

Hi there I am also the kind of person who is/was phobic of lifts, trains, buses, being a passenger in a car, boats are the worst. Its a fear of loss of control, or like a chlostrophobia thing. It was restricting my life so much as I am also too scared to drive on the motor way or go on the train out of cornwall (you has to cross a bridge to get out of cornwall over water- dont like that ether). It was controlling my life so much and I have made myself go in lifts and get on trains, as I have exposed myself to them its got better! My advice would be as other have said to get a short flight- anywhere in spain, or the baleric islands, (majorca, menorca, ibiza) as the flights are realy quick. As a person who was scared of all the thing I wrote about flying was actualy one of the least scary! Now I actualy dont mind it! Oh and go onto youtube, and type in plane take off or landing people have filmed it with their phones on flight mode and you can see exactly what it will look like when you take off or land. Good luck and once you have been abroad its just so amazing! You will want to go back! XX

Hiya. I started having panic attacks (suffered the most horrendous nausea with it) first one I had ever had in my life was on the plane to Tenerife, didnt know what was happening to me! And then it went from bad to worse and I'd have a panic attack during normal things like going out for a meal, being stuck in traffic, really got me down. They are starting to get better but we have just booked a hol to Egypt, flying on the 28th June and I'm already s******g myself! Not worried about flying, worrying I'm going to have another attack!
But, I have booked in for hypnotherapy (got 4 sessions booked) first one tomorrow so will let you know how I get on :)
Xx

Hope it goes well for you! My moms the same as you with traffic jams and things and she's on tablets for it, don't think she will ever come off them as she feels Ill if she forgets just one. Good luck on your flight! X

Hi there I am also the kind of person who is/was phobic of lifts, trains, buses, being a passenger in a car, boats are the worst. Its a fear of loss of control, or like a chlostrophobia thing. It was restricting my life so much as I am also too scared to drive on the motor way or go on the train out of cornwall (you has to cross a bridge to get out of cornwall over water- dont like that ether). It was controlling my life so much and I have made myself go in lifts and get on trains, as I have exposed myself to them its got better! My advice would be as other have said to get a short flight- anywhere in spain, or the baleric islands, (majorca, menorca, ibiza) as the flights are realy quick. As a person who was scared of all the thing I wrote about flying was actualy one of the least scary! Now I actualy dont mind it! Oh and go onto youtube, and type in plane take off or landing people have filmed it with their phones on flight mode and you can see exactly what it will look like when you take off or land. Good luck and once you have been abroad its just so amazing! You will want to go back! XX

Thank you, Glad I'm not the only one! Felt stupid how scared I was of different things! Lol. I will have a look on YouTube! Xx

Latest posts

Back