The big debate nail drill vs file

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi this is first time I've used salon geek have been thinking about using e file does anyone know where to do training in newcastle::confused:

Before I did my own nails, my nail tech used one and every time without fail, it got hot and burnt, I hated the damn thing. Put me totally off ever using one myself, but I can see the advantage, esp with a rebalance and glitter (I personally love glitter tips).

I asked about them on my course and the tutor said.....wait for it.......... oh just buy one, you don't need training :eek:

needless to say, I never would. If I decide to ever get one, I'll get the training along with it. Right after my manicure course, my conversion course lol, so many courses, so little time ;)

btw, anyone know offhand if NSI do them? Still not decided if converting to them or CND but would be interesting to know, could do it all at the same time maybe?

I never use it to buff to a shine .. I never use it to cut out a smile line

Geeg,
How would you manually cut a smile line? I have tried looking for training videos for manual rebalance etc but cannot find any.

When a nail tech has had training with an electric file (it's not a drill......lol) then there is no reason to not to use one. When I started I swore I wouldn't use one, but my body told me otherwise. I'm surprised you've been able to go 8 years without any physical problems in hand filing. Get you some training and get an electric file. They are great time savers and your body will love you for it! :wink2:

I must admit,theres one thing I really dont like regarding e-files, & its the noise, it sounds like an industrious saw-mill. :lol:

If you get a good quality one, they make very little, if any noise.

I generally use mine for thinning & tidying under the tip when I use nail moulds without a tip underneath as I always get product squidging out! I just find it a fast way of doing my own nails. X

i use my e-file to prep (very gently of course) and finish but i mostly hand file, if you put the product on well you should have little filing to do anyway so maybe when your applying product think about the overall finish and how you want it to look !!
Geegs book nail class helped me loads maybe look into getting it lots of tips on how to file finish and apply x

It's an amazing book isnt it!
It's only when im using poppits over the natural nail without applying tips first that i get a few lumps & bumps underneath, but the drill is so useful for having a quick tidy up! :o:D

It is not about just the training for a nail drill... People can have all the training there is and still be a ignorant so and so at nails.And make mistakes as nobody is ''the perfect nail tech''. Thinking they know it all when they dont! too much theory not enough practical
The drill needs time and care and basic common sense it is a drill not a toy i do not think you need training to know this

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience love, but it is the techs fault - NOT the drill. We really must get out of the habit of blaming the product. Tools are not dangerous, people are dangerous!

It's like . . There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners! LOL

I use a drill (I won't use the word e-file) I don't like the idea of glamourising it .... it's a drill, nobody calls the dentists drill an e-file, it's a drill.

They do come in handy for debulking, removing glitters, cutting a new smile line and taking out cracks.

Everyone seems to rave about the RPM 20,000 to 50,000 which is overkill really, what you do need in a drill is "torque" thats the power that it will work at when put under stress, no point spinning at 50,000 rpm, yet when it touches a surface it grind to a halt (pardon the pun).

Also drills can burn, so much so, that they "cook" the cells under the nailplate and can cause separation, I wouldn't call this Onycholysis, I'd call this Mechanical Damage.

I find the sales pitch for drills appalling and misleading (they hold it against the skin and say "look, it doesn't hurt"). Thats because skin is flexible and the drill wont grip .... ask them to demonstrate on the their own nails ( a relatively rigid surface) and see how long they last ....... it will actually drill into the nail. They won't be doing demos like that for too long, but apparently out customers are supposed to put up with it.

Drills are designed for a rigid surface, so the "skin" test fails miserably when you think about it.
Drills do have their time and place, but NEVER on the natural nail and always with professional training

We have an Professional Fingernail Association in Australia and before joining, you have to agree not to use a drill on the Natural Nail.

END RANT - I have a love hate relationship with drills :irked:

what do you mean by the crisp smile line that is made by the drill?

I use both how ever I do prefer hand fileing. I do love my drill for fills though :)

what do you mean by the crisp smile line that is made by the drill?

I use both how ever I do prefer hand fileing. I do love my drill for fills though :)
Yes, I mean the crisp smile line, that's about it, I never need it for a fill other than that ..... my nails don't lift, so it's just prep and a light file/buff before application

Acrylic Nails Infill with a gel topcoat - YouTube

Latest posts

Back