The big debate nail drill vs file

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellstar

Reaction score
hi all,

i am new to salon geek, and i am just amazed at some of the nail work its amazing :)

I have been doing acrylic nails now for about 8 years, and i have been doing fairly basic glitter nails for about 2 years. i am starting to experiment a little more now and i am always getting inspired by the designs i see on the net.

The problem is i am finding it really hard work to buff of some of these glitters and bits and peices, i use a nail file not a drill and i am wondering what your thoughts are on the drill is it going to cut my time? it normally takes me 1 to 1.5 hrs max to do full sets and refills. the problem with the drill is some of my clients have had it before and hate it cause it hurts so im confused what to do. i want to be able to have that beautiful crisp smile line that i always see with the drill, with out having to buff the nails back to scratch with the nail file:cry:

so i guess my question sumed up is "to drill or not to drill"

the problem with the drill is some of my clients have had it before and hate it cause it hurts so im confused what to do.
:eek: Why should it hurt?

they say it hurts becasue sometimes the nail tech drills through the natural nail or sometimes it gets to hot and also it can cut easily, im not really sure if this is common but i have had a few clients complain about old nail techs???

Its a case of finding some quality training.
Untrained, chances are you will cause pain & damage, but a tiny one day course will prevent all that.

E-files are lovely, when you know exactly how to use one. :hug:

they say it hurts becasue sometimes the nail tech drills through the natural nail or sometimes it gets to hot and also it can cut easily, im not really sure if this is common but i have had a few clients complain about old nail techs???
Those were very bad techs, not techs at all.
Drill through the nail :eek: - I shudder to think.

Drills are a help, especially if you have glitters embedded.
If you learn enough about drillls, find a suitable one, get a training so that you feel confident you will be able to calm down your clients.

Hi,
I use and E - file sometimes, not always.
Yes I have had clients with bad experiences with what they call a drill, you need to tell them it is not called a drill it is an E - flile (Electonic file).
I demonstrate to my clients my e - file against my skin on my hands, they can see it causes me no discomfort, but many have been injured by persons who are not trained to use them.
Take yourself on a one day training course and you will leave confident, this will be a great time saver for you, glitters are so time consuming to hand file away.
The course will give you a certificate that then will allow you to get insurance to use an e - file.
Best wishes.
x x x :hug: x x x

I know Young Nails are well known in your country and they use efiles in their work. I have resisted for years but the use of glitters has made me look at the use of efiles to reduce the filing time.

I really feel that they have their place after proper training. They remove product so quickly, it has got to be better for the nail in the long run as you are only there a few seconds. I personally never file the natural nail, this reassures my clients that they will not have any injuries when they have heard horror stories about filing through the natural nail. Having said that I find it incredible that anyone could file through the nail, you would have to be fairly careless to do this.

Get yourself some training with a reputable company and a good efile and you will never look back! :) xx

I don't think it has to be a hand file Versus drill thing. Most everyone uses a combination of both. You need to be skilled to be able to safely use either of them.

I rarely remove loads of product, so I don't have the need to use a drill to save me filing, but if I did commonly remove heaps of product, I would use one for quickness.

I have a nail drill and occasionally use it for some specific purpose but certainly not for everything. I never use it to buff to a shine .. I never use it to cut out a smile line, I never use it to prepare the natural nail .. only to remove a large quantity of product. Others may feel the need to work differently but for me it is a rarity to use it. I still like to have it though, in case I feel the need!!

Last edited:
i used to get my nails done. and grew my nails really well using gel over my natural nails. i went to a new place and they used a drill and they all broke either the same day or next day. i was really upset and had cracks going to the top of my nails and took about 6 months to grown all the cracks out.

i havent got my nails done since but it has put me off using a drill as it damaged my nails but it could be that they were just not any good.

I use EzFlow products. Would like to get training to use E-File

i used to get my nails done. and grew my nails really well using gel over my natural nails. i went to a new place and they used a drill

It's a real shame as there is no need whatsoever to use drills on natural nails and gels.

I use EzFlow products. Would like to get training to use E-File

if you are in london i am presuming you get your ezflow products from georgie smedley as she is distributer for that area....georgie offers e file training. check her website for more info.
HTH's

I did my efile training with Georgie. I honestly don't know what I think about them. It saved me some arm ache at the time, although I felt I had to keep checking and was scared of getting too close to the natural nails. The upshot is that it's been in it's box for ages and I just use hand files. I sometimes think I ought to give it another go, but I'm wary of it, tbh.

thank you all for your advice, i live in australia so i am going to do some research on "e-files" :lol:

i think if i slowly start mentioning to my clients im thinking of getting one and ill have training maybe they will ease into it fingers crossed.

thanks again you have all been really helpful :green:

Thanks to Sian 1979 and Deena.
I would like to use e-file because it seems to save a loads of time. I do not have years of experience and sometimes my nails are to thick. It takes ages to remove all of the extra product.

I too have asked my tutor about e files, im ezflow trained & she doesnt train how to use them as she doesnt believe in them, she uses a handfile & says if your products too thick, work on getting it right & hand filing would be a breeze, if only it were that easy.

I must admit,theres one thing I really dont like regarding e-files, & its the noise, it sounds like an industrious saw-mill. :lol:

I too have asked my tutor about e files, im ezflow trained & she doesnt train how to use them as she doesnt believe in them, she uses a handfile & says if your products too thick, work on getting it right & hand filing would be a breeze, if only it were that easy.

I agree with her 100%!! I've never met a client yet that likes drills or even the idea of them. They all recoil as soon as they see it.

I cannot see the real relevance of drills unless you are having to remove heaps of product to save filing. They certainly are no quicker for anything else, but I'd use one for that if I had to.

I cannot imagine to work WITHOUT E -File.
When You know- how to do this- Your Klient musnt afraid of... Whay should she???
And Iam quicker and File-work ist precise.
*SMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILEY

And one more - EVERYTHING, but Everything is dangerous when You dont know the technik.Primer, E-File,handfile , Acrylic or Uv-gel.
Thats why we are PROFESSIONAL.
I have seen more nails, they were sick from too much and not good handfile as when a professionel Technican use e-File.
My klients doesnt afraid of....

i used to get my nails done. and grew my nails really well using gel over my natural nails. i went to a new place and they used a drill and they all broke either the same day or next day. i was really upset and had cracks going to the top of my nails and took about 6 months to grown all the cracks out.

i havent got my nails done since but it has put me off using a drill as it damaged my nails but it could be that they were just not any good.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience love, but it is the techs fault - NOT the drill. We really must get out of the habit of blaming the product. Tools are not dangerous, people are dangerous!

Latest posts

Back