The going rate for a babysitter?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effie

Reaction score
My teen daughter (14) has been asked to do some baby sitting over december for neighbours and some parents up the school while they go to work party's etc

What should be the going rate they pay her ?

She's giving up her time so I dont want them underpaying. Should I arrange an hourly rate or fixed price for night ?
One that's booked so far is 7-12 maybe later

My teen daughter (14) has been asked to do some baby sitting over december for neighbours and some parents up the school while they go to work party's etc

What should be the going rate they pay her ?

She's giving up her time so I dont want them underpaying. Should I arrange an hourly rate or fixed price for night ?
One that's booked so far is 7-12 maybe later

I used to babysit at that age and I got £5 an hour. If it went past midnight I always got given at least £10 extra as a tip. I remember I did an all nighter once they'd told my mum they'd give me £70 I was more happy with that, I loved the kids and babysat for them at least once a week. I actually came home with £120! That was Xmas time too xx

I have always used teenage family friends and normally paid in hair cuts/ driving lessons, taxi services etc.

The other girls was normally £20 ish for the evening

I used to babysit at that age and I got £5 an hour. If it went past midnight I always got given at least £10 extra as a tip. I remember I did an all nighter once they'd told my mum they'd give me £70 I was more happy with that, I loved the kids and babysat for them at least once a week. I actually came home with £120! That was Xmas time too xx

I was thinking either £5 per hour or saying £20 for evening but anything over 12 would be an extra £5 per hour.
I do t want people taking the pee as I've said I will drop her off and pick her up so I know she is home safe so it means I've got to wait up

When I was 14 I was paid £20 for the night by a family friend, if it passed midnight they would give £30, but I was always given a taxi home pre paid too and picked up to go there.
I was the first to find out the house was haunted, the door handle rattled like it was locked (an internal door with no lock) and the door moved back and two, after that night loads of strange things went on. Beautiful house though.

To keep the little boy from getting upset when his mum and dad went we had a "little secret", once they had gone he could choose 2 pieces of chocolate, and stay up until half 8 (he was only allowed one piece of chocolate on a weekend and had to be in bed for 8) so it was made to be fun that his mum and dad were out for the night. Sadly he's all grown up now, and iv lost my reason to spend the night watching kids programmes :( xoxo

We pay our baby sitter £15 for the evening, generally from half 7 til midnight at the latest.
She has the easiest time toil as both my children are in bed asleep before we go out
& they never wake up!!
Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I used to babysit many moons ago but only got £5 for the whole night :0
I would love to be a babysitter these days if the going rates are £5 an hour.i think it depends where you live really :)

When my daughter babysits, its usually for about 2.5 hours and she gets £12

On occasions when its more like 3.5-4 hours she's come home with £17

I would think that if a babysitter is expected to entertain the children, give a bottle to a baby etc, get kids into bed etc and especially if there's one that plays up a lot, then it's worth more than if they are tucked up when you arrive!

Gosh I'm of the age where I got £5 for the evening and a lift home (and pinch a kit kat out of the cupboard if they had any!) I think £5 per hour is a bit steep personally as she's under 16 so not entitled to minimum wage. I would expect £10, a pizza and a lift home or taxi.otherwise it gets a bit expensive and I wouldn't be using a sitter that often, it's not exploitation but I simply could not afford that and a night out (I usually go out around 7, home before midnight would cost me £25 at that rate!) it depends I guess how many children, how they behave, etc. I just figure a teenager would be sitting at home not getting anything or they could sit in someone else's home and get a couple of quid, I would also use the sitter more often if it was affordable (unless your in Chelsea or somewhere similar)

I think £5 per hour is a bit steep too.

I give my teenage babysitter £15 a night regardless of time although im always home by midnight.

She gets to enjoy the house to herself, sit on the ipad and watch what she wants on tv.

She should be glad to do it for free! :lol:

Our babysitter costs £7 an hour! We don't go out together very often ...

Daylight robbery!

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Makes me laugh, no one thinks anything of parting with hundreds of pounds for gadgets, phones, alcohol, cigarettes, treatments (oo-er)

yet for roughly the price of infills, you can have someone you trust look after the children you love most in all the world for the evening and yet that's considered a rip off? :!:

Ive only ever baby sat once, and that was for my half sisters (2 id never met before). And I got £20 for 9am till 8pm. 4 kids from 11year to 1yr, damn I got underpaid! Lol!

I don't even pay my childminder £5 per hour!

When I look after dogs its £25 for the evening...if thats any help!

Sitters.co.uk

All the babysitters are checked, first aid trained etc

They are a lot more expensive than the local teenager, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I think paying a teenager more than a childminder is crazy

One of my daughters nursery teacher is going to babysit for my friend, it's £7ph, she's obviously trained with children crb checked and works in a private nursery,

I personally wouldn't allow a 14 yr old to babysit, could she really cope if an emergency happened, fire, break in or a serious accident with one of the children,

Sitters.co.uk

All the babysitters are checked, first aid trained etc

They are a lot more expensive than the local teenager, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

That's who we use - no friends or family close to us.

Latest posts

Back