~*~*~*~The Official Formula 1 Thread~*~*~*~

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Guild

Reaction score
Finally a sport Britain can be proud of!

Did anyone else watch the race today? We were up at 6am to catch it live (I didn't post till now to avoid spoiling the result).

Not only do we have a British world champion, but the nearest challenger to him also appears to be a Brit. I think it's great that a team who seemed dead and gone a few weeks ago are now so strong - good one Jenson!

Lewis was also fantastic. Going from last to third in a car with little downforce is testament to his driving skill.

I think this season is going to be very interesting.

So, am I the only F1 geek on here?

Not as big an F1 fan as I used to be...but well done to Jenson Button!!
What's with all the new rules this year...are you for or against????
Couldn't they just have made the points gap between 1st and second place larger so that the person who actually won the most Grand Prix actually won the championship????
Am I allowed to say that I just don't like Lewis Hamilton......:o:

I actually think, after years, F1 one is now worth watching again. I went off it a bit when it became more about politics & money, than drivers ability and engineering, but its going to be a very interesting year!

Great thread Louisa!

I am a huge F1 fan - I even have a signed Michael Schumacher photograph which says to Fiona - I have a friend who used to work for the Cosworth engine supplier.

I too got up at 6 this morning to watch it and thought it was a fab race - Jenson deserved his win and what were the 2 doofuses behind him like putting each other out within, what, 5 laps of the end.

I hope the season continues to be as good as the opener.

As to the points thing I think it should be the most points and not the most wins - say for example you have got a driver who wins 8 out of the 17 races but fails to finish in the rest of them he will get the championship whereas someone who consistently finishes say second will not. It should be about consistency and being "ever present" LOL.

I can't make up my mind about the points system. I think it would reward someone like Lewis for consistently good results, but had the rules been different for the last race of the previous season, Lewis would have set out to win, not to just settle for fifth, and it would have been a different race.

I think some of the rules changes this season are quite good. We are now seeing teams like Brawn, Williams and Red Bull coming to the fore instead of the usual Ferrari/Mclaren domination. Anything that opens it up is good in my book.

We're really excited as we have tickets to Silverstone this year, and we'll now have 2 drivers to cheer on properly.

Fi - I'm very jealous of the autograph, I always thought Schumacher was fantastic (if a little controversial).

Roll on Malaysia!

My dad was always a DC fan and we used to almost come to blows when he (DC) was with McLaren and racing Michael LOL, not that we watched many GPs together.

It just goes to show that sometimes Brawn is better than brains LOL.

I don't go out of my way to watch the Grand Prix but it is one of my lovely hubby's passions so I tune in and out of it, although I don't know much of the politics.

I think Lewis is great, although maybe appears a bit full of himself but who can blame him. I think it is excellent that there are 2 Brits out there in front and it is fabulous to see Jensen do so well.:)

What a farce it has been this week. Lewis lying, McLaren suspensions and torrential rain! It is a shame that the race couldn't be re-started, although the track looked scarily slippy.

Bring on the next one!

That really shocked me, Lewis lying. Did you hear the radio transcripts?

I don't know....maybe thats where his youth still does show through a bit. Its easy to forget he's still quite young to be in such a demanding and publicly scrutinised role. When your bosses tell you to do one thing and then say another....we've all been there, perhaps not so much in the poublic eye, and I know in my early 20's, I didn't have quite as much courage to stick 2 fingers up to them, the way I would now (the old bag I am now!)

I have to say though, I personally....and I suspect there will be different opinions on this, but I think MacLaren have just been hammered so much over the last few months, that they now feel they are damned whichever way they turn. Look at the incident last season, they got hammered for NOT letting Kimi Raikkonon past, so this time they do let Jarno Trulli past....they are still in the wrong. I know the circumstances change each time, and maybe I'm just too defensive of them, but they do need a break now.

I don't think it's going to be Lewis' year though? Although it hopefully will still be a Brit! Well done Jenson!

If they had started it an hour earlier then it might have been better - but another win for Jens albeit half points but still a win.

I hope Mclaren and Lewis can come back from this one.

Roll on China!

Latest posts

Back