The Passion of The Nail...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm loving the answers that you geeks have given thus far...Can we have more??? Comon guys!!!! :lol:

Since this is nails only day I though I would bump this to get some other geeks to tell us about their passion!!!

Bumped for all the newbies!! :wink2:

There are loads of newbies on here, so I would like to hear from some of them...comon, don't let this thread sit, it might just renew your passion and give you that extra push to keep going when things get hard!!

) Do you have a passion for nails? 1a) When did it start?
Nails are one of my many passions. It started when i was still in beauty school and figured out that doing nailenhancements wasn,t part of the teaching.:irked: I was a bit upset since i thought it would be thought allong the way. So when i was 16 i started my course with CND in L&p, 2 years after gel and wraps.
2) Did you just go into this field because you felt it was an easy way to make a fast buck?

If i do something it's because I like to do it. I wanted to learn this since i thought it was so cool that you can lengthen someones nails without looking fake *as i saw in advertisings:lol:* So i was determined to know how to do it and to have fun doing it on my mom, sister and friends. Kind of like an after school hobby.
3) Do you really have a desire to make healthy, beautiful nails be it with or without enhancements? Why?

I think that it,s important to preserve the health of the nails. If someone can achieve beautifull nails by having regular manicures i would do that before doing enhancements but i don,t get much satisfaction out of it. I never really liked manicures etc.. that much :lol: I like the fact that you can transform a bitten nail with enhancements instantly in gorgeous nails. I like the challenge of that + being able to make that transformation.
4) Do you feel that you have a God-given talent for nails? Why?
I don,t really think like that. I am just having fun in what I am doing and if people think I am good at that, it's an additional plus :)

1) Do you have a passion for nails? 1a) When did it start?
Yes I do have a passion, I love learning about nails and I enjoy practising enhancements. It started when I was 16 and looking at what to do when I left school. I always wanted to go into beauty, but was discouraged by my mom. When I was 22/23 I decided that I would do something for myself and I enrolled on a nail course, loved it and i've had the bug since then.

2) Did you just go into this field because you felt it was an easy way to make a fast buck?
Noooooooo, I don't think its an easy way to make a fast buck at all! Quite the opposite. I know when I am ready to take the plunge that I will have to take a pay cut, but i'd rather earn less and be in a creative job that I love rather than clock watching till 5:30.

3) Do you really have a desire to make healthy, beautiful nails be it with or without enhancements? Why?
Yes, I love all aspects of nail care and I wear my own nails natural with justy some enamal, I think a healthy natural looking set of nails natural are enchanced really makes a huge difference

God no! But i'm willing to practise and work at it because the rewards are fantastic!

I go into all this detail to ask this:
1) Do you have a passion for nails? 1a) When did it start? yes i believe i do, i too like you used to be fascinated as a child at anyone who had lovely long fingernails, and ive always loved painting them and nail art etc

2) Did you just go into this field because you felt it was an easy way to make a fast buck? god no, ive not made any money so far and knew it would be a whiel before i did make any, its not about money for me, never has been

yes, because i have awful nails and always have done, no nail tech i had been to had ever asked me any questions they just bunged them on and made my own nails worse, it made me determined to train well enough to do the job properly and look after mine and other peoples nails

not so much a god given talent for nails, although the 2 courses ive done so far the tutors haver said 'im a natural' but i believe there is an art to nails and i am very arty and crafty etc so i think that really helps

nice thread yolanda xxx

i always loved nails as a little girl, my mum has fab nails and was always painting them, i'd say i have a passion for all things beauty related

i got into the field as i wanted to see if i was any good at nails, making money was not important to me

i think its important to educate clients on how to have and maintain beautiful natural nails

i don't know if its a god given talent, i'd say its more a passion

A HUGE passion.. i eat, drink and sleep nails. I have a notebook with a pen besides my bed if i wake up with ideas. Monomer is running thru my blood... ;) When i was 16 i got my first set of enhancements and it started then. Took a long time before i finally got to do courses/training.

Noooo way, never! Even if had to pay for it to do them i would do it! (so to speak) At the moment i still haven't earned back what i put in, but i won't complain!! I finally can do something i love to do & make people happy, something what even doesn't feel like working :green:

Yes!!! Of course! Best of all is making beautiful enchancement, with healthy beautiful nails right under them!!! Taking care of those that have the perfect natural nail, to keep them that way, give nailbiters a confidence boost and their own natural nails 'back'. Also to educate my clients about healthy nails, products, sanitation and hygiene. As a 'licensed' nailtech you can make a difference and help prevent the ones without education doing more damage. ;)

No, but i do feel like it is ment to be! I have to work hard and i am never fully satisfied with my work, always strive for better but i love every aspect of it! :)

Everything I deal with makes it's way back to nails. It's my obsession.
It started when I saw Sonny and Cher, Mostly Cher, she had the clothes/hair and the nails.
Around the age of 8 my parents were building their home, my sister and I took some wood glue, and a fan and took hours applying and drying. Funny thing was once they were exposed to water they turned back.
The easy buck wasnt earned until around 3 years after getting my license,after advanced education. (Back when the world wide web took me to building materiels when I typed in nails.) thats when my clientle base grew out of control, and I was able to charge my prices.

I savor the thoughts of going to work each day. Making the client happy natural or with enhancements. (It's in my blood.)

My original nails were probably thicker than the actual finger.
Practice, and more practice.
I was talking to God the day I recieved my trophy last June.
Saturday before last I recieved a nail supply catalog with my nails on the cover. (There is a God.) Still room for improvement, I don't "compete" with anyone but myself, Im not the best, but I do the best that I can.
This industry changes everyday, just when you think everything is in its place, something new,exciting and even better shows up.

I go into all this detail to ask this:
1) Do you have a passion for nails?
yes, and all things beauty related, I talk about this industry ALL the time, everywhere I go! I must be so boring lol
1a) When did it start?
my getting into this industry was a bit random - some may say it was fate - I got interested in all of this when I was a little girl
pah no way! I've never had any money, so might as well be doing something I love for not much cash than something I hate for little more
Yes, I like prettying people up, it's fun! And the phsycological benefit to the clients are hugley important to me
Nooooooo! But as someone else further up the thread said, I do have a talent for people, and it all generates good karma so Im happy :)

Last edited:

I have painted and drawn on mine and other peoples nails (willing or not!) ever since I was about 10 or 11. My mom used to paint her nails and I used to love watching her and then she started letting me paint hers.

I was asked to do the training by a tutor at the college I worked at because she always used to come over and look at what I had on my nails that day. She thought I was really good and liked how different I used to wear mine. I can genuinely say I never for one minute thought I would make money from it.

I do yes, we wear our make up to enhance our face, have our hair styled to look nice, so do the same for our nails too. I would'nt use any products tools etc that I knew were going to damage my face or hair and the same goes for nails.

I don't believe in God-given talents, I think that excludes people by making them think that because they can't do it straight away or quickly they should'nt be doing it at all. I believe in a having a strong enough passion and drive for something that you go out and seek the education and take the time to practice to become excellent at what you do. I do believe that I am good at doing what I do and strive to get better and better. :)

Latest posts

Back