The 'payoff' for wearing nail coatings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
This is cropping up more and more these days. Probably because so many people are now so much more interested in their nails YIPPEE!!

By wearing any nail coatings, even just a clear coat of nail polish, you are not giving your nails a 'healthy overhaul'! At best you are giving them some protection. Nail polish has solvents in them and it is removed by more solvents. Solvents are not good for the natural nail! :Scared: they dehydrate! (Shock! Read it in the Sun next week as the next horror story)

The nail dehydrates very easily with a major culprit being water and you can't avoid hand washing!

So, dehydration (and other potential damage) must be compensated for! I have used the following analogy many times in interviews (and Geeg mentioned it in a thread I have just read): we all know and accept that colouring hair dries it out and it suffers environmental damage all the time. We also all know and accept that when you wash your hair it need conditioning; sometimes it needs a deeper condition; often it needs products to control it after washing or even every day.

Why do so many people (professionals as well as consumers) not realise than nails need the exact same care??

If you wear nail coatings of ANY kind and you wash your hands you must compensate for this damage! Do you use hair conditioner? Do you moisturise your skin? The answer from almost all of you will be yes.

Nail professionals who understand their job will moisturise (and compensate) their nails EVERY DAY. Hopefully, many will have convinced their clients to do the same. But, from so many threads on here, not nearly enough!!

It is a fact of life that is known, understood and accepted about hair and skin. Why not nails??

Fab thread Mum. I use this analogy with my clients and you can see like light bulb go on when what I've said has sunk in. I always give my new clients a pinkie sized solar oil so they have NO excuses not to use it. Majority of the time they do use it but of course there are always a few who don't. I usually challenge these ones to use it and then at the next appointment I challenge them to tell me its not helped. They never tell me it hasn't after that lol. My sales of solar oil have increased dramatically recently so much so I need to place a big order for more! Xx

You have answered the question I was thinking of posting after reading Geeg's comment, so thank you! I was wondering though, if I remember correctly, shellac is marketed as not causing any damage to the nail plate because it doesn't require buffing. In that sense it's true, but not true in that it does dehydrate the nails (as all other nail coatings), correct? Should it not be marketed as such then?

Fantastic, so well put Marian

I use this analogy too!

I rent a space in a hair salon...so already the clients care for their hair...it's the only way that "clicks" for them, when I say that they need Solar Oil to hydrate and condition their nails.

I love this. Wish I could post it on my Facebook page! Lol.

You have answered the question I was thinking of posting after reading Geeg's comment, so thank you! I was wondering though, if I remember correctly, shellac is marketed as not causing any damage to the nail plate because it doesn't require buffing. In that sense it's true, but not true in that it does dehydrate the nails (as all other nail coatings), correct? Should it not be marketed as such then?

No, I don't think so.
Does anyone market shampoo as damaging your hair because it temporarily dries it out? It's not considered damage if it can be rectified and there is no reason to highlight a bit of dehydration as if it were permanent, heinous, irreversible damage!
Your hair is dry? use a good conditioner. Your skin is dry from everyday washing with shower gels that contain SLS? Use body lotion. Your nails are dry from continuous polish wear or other nail products? Use Solar Oil as there is nothing better to rectify dehydration.

All clients need to accept dehydration as a temporary consequence of using/wearing products continuously on their hair, skin and nails; this is the dues we pay! It's hardly the end of the world!! and we most certainly can do something about it.

Nail professionals also need to stop freaking out in front of their clients when they see a bit of surface dehydration and learn to recognise what it is, and deal with it by recommending the right products to use so that nails are kept in tip top condition.

Last edited:
Yep, cuticle eraser is the shampoo, solar oil the conditioner.

I have a story for you. I had a really cynical client who was utterly convinced that I was trying to scam her with solar oil. I gave her a pinkie FOC and told her I'd be able to tell if she hadn't used it.
When she returned a fortnight later for shellac off/on what I found was bizarre. She was right handed and her right hand was perfect. No chips, no dulling, perfect nails.
The left hand was a whole other ball game. There were no chips or lifting, but the shine was nothing like the right hand, and when I got the shellac off the nails on that hand looked dry, and were starting to delaminate at the free edge.
I got them all prepped and ready and then showed her the hands.
"I'm a bit surprised, to be honest. Look at the difference between the two hands. It looks for all the world as if you've really taken care of the right hand and not the left!"
"Bugger. I was sure that the solar oil was snake oil so I just oiled the right hand and not the left. I was convinced you wouldn't see any difference!"

No, I don't think so.
Does anyone market shampoo as damaging your hair because it temporarily dries it out? It's not considered damage if it can be rectified and there is no reason to highlight a bit of dehydration as if it were permanent, heinous, irreversible damage!
Your hair is dry? use a good conditioner. Your skin I'd dry from everyday washing withy shower gels that contain SLS? Use body lotion. Your nails are dry from continuous polish wear or other nail products? use Solar Oil as there is nothing better to rectify dehydration.

All clients need to accept dehydration as a temporary consequence of using/wearing products continuously on their hair, skin and nails. It's hardly the end of the world!! and we most certainly can do something about it.

Nail professionals also need to stop freaking out in front of their clients when they see a bit of surface dehydration, learn to recognise what it is, and deal with it by recommending the right products to use so that nails are kept in tip top condition.

I so agree. I had a new client last night and after I removed her polish I noticed her big toe nails were dehydrated. She became embarrassed and said, "ohh. My toenails are so hideous! I hate how they look so I just continue to wear polish to hide them". I explained that it was nothing serious and that if she was going to wear continuous polish then she should invest in cuticle oil to rehydrate. I lightly buffed her toenails and added a teeny drop of cuticle oil to show her how they looked and she was so happy. She thought there was something seriously wrong.

It's only natural to expect a bit of dehydration if moisture isn't added. Love this post.

I so agree. I had a new client last night and after I removed her polish I noticed her big toe nails were dehydrated. She became embarrassed and said, "ohh. My toenails are so hideous! I hate how they look so I just continue to wear polish to hide them". I explained that it was nothing serious and that if she was going to wear continuous polish then she should invest in cuticle oil to rehydrate. I lightly buffed her toenails and added a teeny drop of cuticle oil to show her how they looked and she was so happy. She thought there was something seriously wrong.

It's only natural to expect a bit of dehydration if moisture isn't added. Love this post.

What is more worrying is how many professionals doing nails all day, don't recognise what dehydration looks like in the first place and haven't explained to their clients that it can happen without good aftercare.?? This information should be included on the aftercare advice sheet handed to every new client at the end of their appointment. Half the technicians doing nails don't even have aftercare sheets available. I must have sent out 500 or more aftercare advice sheets in the last year alone to those requesting them from me! Want my aftercare advice sheet for Shellac? Email me and include your S2 customer number for professional verification. Gigirouse @ gmail.com

The number of clients I see who've had shellac elsewhere and haven't been given an aftercare sheet, and have never heard about solar oil!
I genuinely don't understand why you wouldn't recommend solar oil; all that will happen is that clients will blame either the product (oh, shellac ruined my nails) or the therapist. Neither option is acceptable to me so I will always recommend it. If people utterly refuse, then I hoik out a pinkie for them FOC.
I'm not having my reputation damaged by clients' daftness!

It took about 4-6 weeks for the benefits of SolarOil to work on my nails and now the shellac comes off easy like it should; and now after about four months the onycholysis on my big toes is almost grown out - I've had the condition for about two years.

Plus, I've got the longest natural nails I've ever had, but that's also thanks to fibreglass, Brisa lite smoothing and shellac ;) x

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back