The Perfect French -How To

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spakitten

Reaction score
Although there are many ways to do a French, I'm wondering which method gets the best result?

FIRST METHOD:
1) Base coat
2) Paint two coat of white along free edge (free hand)
3) Natural shade
4) Top coat

SECOND METHOD:
1) Paint two coats of white along free edge, then clean up smile line from behind with a brush
2) Base coat
3) Natural shade
4) Top Coat

**** Which method do you think works better/is easier? or any tips on achieving the perfect smile line?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
hi i do :

base coat
2 pink
2 coates of the white
then top coat

or

base coat
natural
2 white
natural
top coat

oh and i dont ever clean up my white with brush never heard of doing this only with acrylics

xclairex

Personally I would never apply the white polish directly onto the nail without applying a good basecoat. One of the purposes of the basecoat is to allow good adhesion and durability of the colour coat, in this case white.

Creative sell Nail Fresh which is apparently ideal for brushing in a gorgeous smile line or correcting mistakes, with no damage or smudging to the existing basecoat.

Do a search here by typing in French manicures. You will find it very helpful.

i do base coat, 2 coats of white, or only 1..it depends on the white i use....then if i need to i tidy up the white with nail fresh.....then i do 1 or 2 coats of pink/ natural followed by a top coat.
The enamel i use is CND toughen up base coat, then retro white or cold shoulder then any neutral shade....i love nail gloss at the moment, then super shiney top coat.

I use a base coat and take it slightly under free edge.

I either do 1 coat of white or 1 coat of natural (creatives negligee is spot on as is orly - oh forgot name)

I apply the white over the natural shade for the white to stand out OR

the white UNDER the natural shade for a more subtle finish.

Then top coat - again taking it slightly under free edge.

I only ever use 1 coat of each shade - anymore than this will take forever more to dry.

It usually lasts about 5-7 days for me.

I use two different methods, depending on what shade the client likes on the nailbed:

1. Base coat
2. OPI Heartthrob 1 coat
3. OPI Alpine White 1 coat
4. OPI Bubble Bath 1 coat
5. Top Coat

Or, if she doesn't want a very pink-y bed,
1. Base coat
2. White tip
3. OPI Bubble Bath 1 coat
4. 2 coats of Top coat

Lately I've been applying the white over the pinks for a brighter look. I've found that having two coats of polish over the white makes it last CONSIDERABLY longer.

Thanks for the advice geeks! Especially to milkshakerrr since I use OPI in my salon so this was a big help. :)

I do:

1 x CND Cream Puff
1 x CND Neglegee
1 x Super Shiney

This is what works best for me and often lasts up to 2 weeks on many of my clients. I find that if there are too many coats of enamel (even thin ones), it is more prone to chipping. Make sure you let the polish settle before going on to the next coat.

Latest posts

Back