The rise of the unqualified

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you turn your nose up at skin needling and chemicals peels including the A&P being taught through a company rather than a college?

I have a level 2 VRQ but have no interest in any of the subjects associated with it. Am I incorrect in thinking that in 2 years of college a year and a half is spent waiting for others who can't get a case study correct, considering the science of A&P is standard everywhere.

I fail to see how someone that had spent years at college and leaves without any confidence whatsoever is 'better' than someone who is a quick learner, passes exams easily with top marks and makes a successful business in the beauty industry quickly. Is it not down to the individual?

Maybe I'm missing the point.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Why do you turn your nose up at skin needling and chemicals peels including the A&P being taught through a company rather than a college?

I have a level 2 VRQ but have no interest in any of the subjects associated with it. Am I incorrect in thinking that in 2 years of college a year and a half is spent waiting for others who can't get a case study correct, considering the science of A&P is standard everywhere.

I fail to see how someone that had spent years at college and leaves without any confidence whatsoever is 'better' than someone who is a quick learner, passes exams easily with top marks and makes a successful business in the beauty industry quickly. Is it not down to the individual?

Maybe I'm missing the point.

Yeah yeah - but a night in a hotel, geeking???????

I think there should be an industry standard, and minimum courses with no real foundation are not the way to go, however skilled the therapist.
A crap course is still a crap course. As has been said before, these courses are accredited by SOME insurance companies, because the course trainer pays them to. They are rarely monitored. You can usually tell the good ones because people rave about them, and they don't cost £10.50!

Vicki x

Yes. Virtues, you are missing the point. I'm not categorically stating that Level 2's are inept and I'm certainly not saying that needling etc shouldn't be taught through a company. That's exactly how I learned mine. BUT as a RULE OF THUMB alone - there is a majority of learners (let's call them) who simply do not have the level of a&p that I would like to see in therapists who are doing advanced treatments.

There is a fair amount of truth in the saying 'if you've never had it, you won't miss it'. I think that's quite applicable to the underpinning knowledge (which was simply known as theory when I trained) of advanced treatments. Stick a mast cell in front of most therapists and they wouldn't know what to do with it.

Any argument like this will always have exceptions to the rule, and we are discussing a GENERAL trend in the industry before anyone takes umbrage... You are always welcome to put yourself forward for my nacent focus group, if you fancy a night out, a long chat and a packet of digestives....

You guys who have trained and been in the industry for many years are far more knowledgeable than I am. I would be out of my depth with your discussions.

Give me fluid dynamics, containment and control and I would be in a position to contribute.

I have attempted to bring a collective argument to many influential people, politicians and judges. Judges that happened to be treated by me and who have told me to give up.
In the end we are looked upon as petty and eager to tear down others who are just trying to make money.
The fact is, the government doesn't care.
There is not enough consumers coming forward when they get infections/burns etc... and honestly, an infected toenail is not a life threatening issue in majority of the cases.
However, seeing as how insurance companies Love to collect premiums and aren't eager on paying out claims I am shocked more of them are not on the bandwagon to enforce better trading standards for our industry.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

However, seeing as how insurance companies Love to collect premiums and aren't eager on paying out claims I am shocked more of them are not on the bandwagon to enforce better trading standards for our industry.

Cleen Cheeks Spa[/QUOTE]

I'm not shocked! My last insurance company never asked for proof of anything and were more than happy to take my money but I bet you if it had come to a claim, they would have wanted to know everything including what town I was born in, then made a decision to pay out.

I'm sure a lot of therapist think with certain Certs they're covered but I bet they're not - for an insurance company that's a win win, they've had your money!!!

I've recently had two clients and a hair dresser brag to me that they've got there Shellac cert without any formal training & didn't once get asked for proof of qualifications, they were very pleased with themselves!!

When I was in college doing my level 3 there was girls who was doing hair at home and then for assessment a one length cut pulling it out from the head, I got so frustrated because teacher would say no do this and pass them just because the college doesn't get funding if they fail anyone. And then there 'Fully qualified' at the end

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

The other question that springs to mind is how often really does something go wrong?

You see some people don't give insurance a second thought, it's an added expense for not much return. How many owners on this site in the hairdressing and beauty world who have been in this profession for years, have actually been taken to court or have been forced to pay out of court settlements. Not many! If any at all.

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. I am fully insured on both my salons, I have limited knowledge of the practices of colour application and I don't work in one of my salons but I am still accountable should my staff make errors, I also work very closely near clients eyes. Any professional business will have insurance to protect themselves and their employees... but equally the same amount again don't. It's more luck than judgement.

I've never claimed on my treatment risk cover. I've only claimed on my salon insurance for burglaries.
I do cringe slightly at people on here saying they could get sued over painting a nail. In reality, I've never seen it happen.
Do clients sue because they don't like the colour, or does their hand drop of if you touch the eponychium?

The only time I can see why people claim is if they react to a tint/hair colour because no patch test has been done. However I still wouldn't do this.

On this site, it seems the hairdressers, who do the most contentious treatments, are fairly laid back, yet the nail techs are most vocal about people claiming on their insurance. Can anyone explain why?

I've never claimed on my treatment risk cover. I've only claimed on my salon insurance for burglaries.
I do cringe slightly at people on here saying they could get sued over painting a nail. In reality, I've never seen it happen.
Do clients sue because they don't like the colour, or does their hand drop of if you touch the eponychium?

Oh come on now, you should know the answer. I've often been found squeezing and scrabbling underneath my nail desk to retrieve fingers that have 'dropped' off.

Luckily it is only my hand trainer. I don't have any clients. I hate manicures.

On this site, it seems the hairdressers, who do the most contentious treatments, are fairly laid back, yet the nail techs are most vocal about people claiming on their insurance. Can anyone explain why?

I sometimes think it is a contest as to who is the most hygienic. Nail files kept for individual clients, everything sprayed and sanitised to within an inch of it's life, and pity the poor person who asks a question - you should know that you should never touch another human - you might contract something, or worse, give them something, and if you don't follow this, you may get sued!

"Am I covered for........" is one of the most common questions. How the hell should we know?????

The devil is in the detail. As any fule no, you should READ THE SMALL PRINT. e.g for most of my treatments I have to keep the client info for five years - but for permanent make up it's seven.. Now, not a lot of people know that.. and it was in teeny tiny print....

Where are we going for our conflab Squidger??? And what biscuits should we get in?:)

The devil is in the detail. As any fule no, you should READ THE SMALL PRINT. e.g for most of my treatments I have to keep the client info for five years - but for permanent make up it's seven.. Now, not a lot of people know that.. and it was in teeny tiny print....

Where are we going for our conflab Squidger??? And what biscuits should we get in?:)

The name is squidgernetball! Lol won't be doing that again. Takes way to long to type in!

Anywhere with alcohol and food!

As has already been said, there are insurance companies out there that do not ask for proof of training....they just take the money, but you can be sure, if the worst happens (which it probably won't), you'd not be covered, FACT.
Insurance is a necessity, but it is also being used to scare the living daylights out of us all. Not just in the work place, but in the home - we insure the white goods, the gas, the electric, the vacuum, the cat... yep they have got us worrying 24/7, ARE WE COVERED?!!
The training suppliers are also benefiting from our 'WHAT IF' woe.
No matter how much knowledge we have, experience, success, happy client's, lets be honest, we still end up wondering if perhaps we should be doing 'further training', just in case!

Stumbled across this thread and had to share what I overheard today...

In sallys a woman asks the young assistant for some help with hair colour (oh god I thought, here's another DIY-er!). The woman explains to the girl "I am a completely fully qualified hair dresser, but I've never done colours." What?! It turns out the "pro hairdresser" had taken a 2 one day courses on cutting and hair up and was now talking about her clients hair colour and asking the assistant what to put on it. Ahh I rest my case!

x

I once worked with a "nail technician" who asked me what Internet site I got my certificates from! I looked at her and said "please tell me you're not serious", she was!!

How does it work in america?
I know its not as easy as it is here to get qualified, and I think you can only be qualified by which state you work in? Maybe we should take a leaf out of their book?

Latest posts

Back