The Sanctuary Covent Garden

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a shame they're closing. I had a job interview with them a few years ago and I remember being in awe when I went to the convent garden spa. I've never had a treatment there before but now that I've heard this news, I really want to have one before it closes down :sad:

We will all suffer in the end and we will all be guilty of contributing no matter how much we think we are not and however much I like high street shops I do use Amazon a lot its cheaper,its delivered.
Intheory I'd love to support the high street shops go to my local butcher etc but I don't and my christmas presents will probably come from Amazon.I tell myself off everyday.

Look at the pub trade. It's over. You can't compete with the likes of Tesco for a crate of beer for £10 two pints in a pub is £10.

The pub trade is over for those pubs where they haven't adapted.

Our local is thriving. Yes, it is mainly food, but you can get just a drink there. In the winter they have 3 roaring fires, in the summer a lovely outdoor area, with full sun (!) or shade. Local charities are supported with regular fund-raising events, including a beer festival each year. On New Year's Eve it's normal food prices, and no charge if for a bar ticket, with a great live band.The publican is very motivated but has great people skills. He has acquired 2 other Cheshire pubs in the last 2 years, and has changed their fortunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the pub trade. It's over. You can't compete with the likes of Tesco for a crate of beer for £10 two pints in a pub is £10.

QUOTE]

Our local is thriving. Yes, it is mainly food, but you can get just a drink there. In the winter they have 3 roaring fires, in the summer a lovely outdoor area, with full sun (!) or shade. Local charities are supported with regular fund-raising events, including a beer festival each year. On New Year's Eve it's normal food prices, and no charge if for a bar ticket, with a great live band.The publican is very motivated but has great people skills. He has acquired 2 other Cheshire pubs in the last 2 years, and has changed their fortunes.

This is true gone are the days when pubs can just depend on the locals popping in its just too expensive its £3.30 average a pint around here and £3.00 a glass of wine that's a very expensive night out unless you are young and like to drink drain cleaner in big bowls

Last edited:
I should imagine the cost of rental just doesn't make it financially viable.

I have temped there a few times in the past year and have to say I was pleasantly surprised regarding the décor and standards. Compared to a four star hotel spa I worked at for nearly four years and other five star hotel spas I have temped at it was positively wonderful!

It is a shame but a sign of the times. Not sure I fully go for the clients prefer doing their own treatments at home thing though.

Like I say with rental and business rate costs for a Central London location like that they probably just can't be bothered!

QUOTE]

Yes there are a few decent ones that remain, but the thousands that have failed are littered on every other corner, the only saving grace to some is that Tesco's are buying them all up for a shilling and turning them into Tesco express stores. The rest are left boarded up and empty, with just the local pigeons as customers.

I should imagine the cost of rental just doesn't make it financially viable.

I have temped there a few times in the past year and have to say I was pleasantly surprised regarding the décor and standards. Compared to a four star hotel spa I worked at for nearly four years and other five star hotel spas I have temped at it was positively wonderful!

It is a shame but a sign of the times. Not sure I fully go for the clients prefer doing their own treatments at home thing though.

Like I say with rental and business rate costs for a Central London location like that they probably just can't be bothered!

Do all spas get their temps to do massage all day or is that just the spa i worked at? I didn't envy the agency staff in my last job. Is everywhere like that? Hope not!

I go to The Sanctuary one day every year, it's my day to treat myself. I have always found the treatments excellent and the venue is not as shabby as some are making out. Yes there are more opulent spa's out there but The Sanctuary is an old girl with a lot of soul which is why I like it! Sadly I have noticed over the past couple of years that it seemed quieter than in the past.

I do think it is true that the likes of groupon is killing off trade, people just want a cheap deal. I just hope that all the fabulous therapists employed in the Covent Garden spa and the 3 regional Sanctuary branches find work when they finally close.

Sad times.

It was probably the rent and rates in Covent Garden that killed it off. They must be shocking.

You're not wrong. I live in a totally crud town and high street premises average 50k per annum so I would shudder to think what their lease costs. Especially if they are no longer getting the footfall.

I worked there 10 years ago and it's such a shame it's closing. If you have never been then it's worth a go even if it's just to see the size of it inside!

It was probably the rent and rates in Covent Garden that killed it off. They must be shocking.

God...you can only imagine! They're bad enough where I live and the high street is looking pretty dire. Must be horrific in London!

PB
x

Do all spas get their temps to do massage all day or is that just the spa i worked at? I didn't envy the agency staff in my last job. Is everywhere like that? Hope not!

No most places are a mix of massage and facials when you temp but The Sanctuary does just get you to massage unless you go on their training days which they want you to attend two days UNPAID and if you go a few times after the training, including a Saturday they will reimburse you expenses. Tbh I wouldn't have minded doing that if I would learn something new but if it was going to be just products knowledge then that would be a no no for me! Actually now though they want you to go on the training to go there full stop.

Good job I love massage (obviously have always kept that one to myself and never said out loud!).

Meant to add that one of clients absolutely RAVES about the Nirvana Spa in Wokingham.

That might be a viable alternative to the Sanctuary for peeps wanting a relaxing day out.

HTH
PB
x

Latest posts

Back