The Truth About Tanning - On tv 9pm Thurs 4th Feb BBC 3

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched the programme with my daughter and we both were shocked at the way Nicola looked. She basically reminded me of a drag queen with the very odd hair style and all the make up she had plastered on. She is a very pretty girl but really didn't do herself any favours, her natural look would be gorgeous.

I did find it a little confusing too.. if she was trying to promote be proud of your natural colour, be it pale, olive or darker toned.. she was certainly not natural looking and was going to the other extreme, being un-naturally pale. :eek:

The young woman at the end who was photographed with the boy was stunning without all that colour.

There were some very good issued raised regarding skin ageing and melanoma, especially in the olive skinned girl that had been unfortunate enough to have had it and had died from it. :cry:

When she was showing the negatives of sunbeds, this would have been an ideal opportunity to show that there was safer options for people (such as the boy who was photographed at the end who obviously would be going back to tanning himself). In an ideal world we would accept what we have and be happy with it.. but where is the fun in that! :eek:

I did enjoy the programme, so thanks for the link Anne. :hug:

Loved watching this documentry, interesting stuff, but couldnt get over the state of the girl herself , was she wearing a wig ?? But fair play to her , just wish someone famous would do a documentry on NNS nails as well !

I haven't seen this programme yet, but i too wondered if it was to help promote her range of make-up for fairer skin.

I understand that people overuse sunbeds and are damaging themselves but surely this is where they should mention that there are safer alternatives, such as fake tan. They could also let you know how to be safer when tanning, how long is ok, when to avoid the sun, spf, etc.

If the programme is about being ok with yourself, they could do a little more with excessive make-up, etc. There is that show on BBC3 called snog, marry, avoid where they strip down girls that are totally fake - horrific tan, horrific make-up, miniscule clothes and make a more natural her and see what other people think.

I haven't seen this programme yet, but i too wondered if it was to help promote her range of make-up for fairer skin.

LOL, it would rather put people off. She looked really awful :eek:

Nicola Roberts was trying to get across that it is OK to be pale and not be pressured into having tans in whatever form. .

....to me she was basically saying that no-body should feel under pressure to change something about themselves in order to feel accepted....which i absolutely agree with..

I couldn't agree more with these 2 comments...............

Reading the rest of this thread however, and some of the personal comments about Nichola's appearance I think she is fighting a losing battle.
Obviously the majority will always judge people by their appearance, and slag them off for not conforming to whatever is considered the 'norm' at that time.
This thread makes quite sad reading.

I agree Isabel....unfortunately we live in a very judgmental world these days where appearance is valued more than morals...shame.

I would be very happy to believe that Nicola was just trying to promote the idea of being happy in your own skin, but I can't help feeling a little sceptical when I discovered that her range of Dainty Doll make up, for the porcelain skinned, has made her the second richest member of Girls Aloud in less than a year.

Here's a quote from the Sun newspaper, January 2009;

A source said: "Nicola stands to make a lot of cash from her make-up range this year.
She was very clever when she did the deal and made sure she gets a big chunk of the profits."

Latest posts

Back