The Truth About Tanning - On tv 9pm Thurs 4th Feb BBC 3

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen some of the pics of her in a tv mag and it doesnt look very nice x

PMSL.. I hope you're talking about Nicola Roberts and not Annie :lol:

thanks for this will def sky+ it x

thank you.
xx

PMSL.. I hope you're talking about Nicola Roberts and not Annie :lol:

OMFG that just HILARIOUS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh jesus its after midnight and I'm shrieking with laughter, I hope i dont wake the neighbours!!

anne xx

Hi Annie:hug:

Thanks for that, will be sky + it in a min.

And if you're an oldie - i'm a total geriatric then!!!!!:lol:

Posted via Mobile Device oh dear, dont think I have this channel and I'll be at work anyway. Will I be able to watch it online? x

It starts in 20mins, hope it's good.
Thanks for letting us know Annie xx

Well I watched this programme and I'm wondering if there's anyone else who's been left scratching your head in a tiny bit of confusion.

Nicola Roberts was clearly suggesting that Pale Is Best and although she had many valid points on the dangers of overexposure on sunbeds, the fact the programme completely avoided the subject of sunless/fake/spray tanning as a healthier alternative was surprising to say the least.

Nicola herself, with her mad hair and caked-on heavy make-up, well I'm not sure that kind of image is going to switch people off wanting a nice golden tan.

Wondering what everyone else thinks?

xx

Yes, she seemed to be against any form of adding colour to the skin.

It also made me angry when she happily watched that young man give himself an illegal and dangerous injection and then took away his fake tanning lotions!

I should mention that I have sunbeds in my salon and I'm all in favour of tightening of the rules and regulations but I don't think the program gave a fair account of the typical sunbed user. They only concentrated on the really overly obsessive user who on top of that were or had been using unregulated sunbed shops. I was a bit like portraying everybody who drinks alcohol as an alcoholic:irked:

jes

It was a shame that they didn't even mention spray tans, perfect opportunity to show the safer alternative.

Did you see the state of Nicolas face when she was crying - how much make up! :eek:

I havnt watched it as yet, it shoulda taped. Sounds a bit biased, thought it would be tbh she is so against tanning. Very stupid though not to mention fake tanning, if she doesnt agree with sunbeds its like a really positive argument sunbeds V's fake tanning. Mind boggles, will watch but most likely in morbid fasciantion, gotta see the fake crying/makeup caked on disaarrster :lol: :eek:

anne xx

It was a shame that they didn't even mention spray tans, perfect opportunity to show the safer alternative.
Did you see the state of Nicolas face when she was crying - how much make up! :eek:

Good point.

I have as yet,, to watch the programme, I have recorded it, so cannot comment on it's contents, however, judging by the comments on this thread.........

Isn't that the problem with ALL TV shows about this kind of thing - all they EVER focus on are how bad this is for you or how bad that is for you -why can't they do the industry some good for a change - it's bad enough having gone through a recession & some places are struggling, so why not actually give advice AND alternative options???
That way, those desprate to be tanned can find an alternative & use spray tanning/lotion options!!!!!

Last edited:
Nicola Roberts was trying to get across that it is OK to be pale and not be pressured into having tans in whatever form. Yes applied tans are safer and a good alternative - but it is the conformity that she is against. I also know having red hair and pale skin, why you feel drab against tanned girlfriends and used sunbeds in the 80's to feel better. Weirdly enough I used to tan and although I never used to do it often I now shudder at the damage I may have done. Any UV tan is not a safe tan as it means you have damaged your skin:cry: I now do not feel so pressured as I am over 40 and not bothered like that anymore but think of the young girls that are like the one in the documentary. Her scan by Dr Lowe was frightening and I dread to think what her face would be like if she carried on. Malignant Melanoma is not for the faint hearted and can kill and what was more enlightening was that dark skin people are just at risk. I applaud the programme as people just do not get how serious it is.

Nicola Roberts was trying to get across that it is OK to be pale and not be pressured into having tans in whatever form. Yes applied tans are safer and a good alternative - but it is the conformity that she is against. I also know having red hair and pale skin, why you feel drab against tanned girlfriends and used sunbeds in the 80's to feel better. Weirdly enough I used to tan and although I never used to do it often I now shudder at the damage I may have done. Any UV tan is not a safe tan as it means you have damaged your skin:cry: I now do not feel so pressured as I am over 40 and not bothered like that anymore but think of the young girls that are like the one in the documentary. Her scan by Dr Lowe was frightening and I dread to think what her face would be like if she carried on. Malignant Melanoma is not for the faint hearted and can kill and what was more enlightening was that dark skin people are just at risk. I applaud the programme as people just do not get how serious it is.

Totally agree with you. I know sunbeds are still hugely popular and that many people in the sunbed industry are adamant that only the over-exposed are at risk from skin cancer. I myself am not sure and, although I spent hours and hours on sunbeds in my 20s, I wouldn't risk going on a sunbed nowadays.

I still think the programme was too cut & dried. No consideration was given to those of us who simply prefer "a bit of colour" to our skins. Surely the revolution in self tanning products means we can now be liberated from our pasty whiteness (with a bit of blue thrown in for good measure in my case), akin to dyeing our hair if we don't like our natural colour, and wearing make-up and nail polish if we want to enhance our faces and hands (as Nicola Roberts so clearly does).

The programme could so easily have tried to steer the heavy sunbed users towards both natural skin colour or, for those who really insist on a bit of colour, the massive range of safer methods of sunless tanning.

I just wish the BBC would now commission a programme about the sunless tanning phenomenon, headed of course by a beautifully spray tanned presenter sporting a flawless, natural looking golden glow .....:D

xx

I for one welcomed this programme being a mother of a red head and pale skinned daughter and young son.

Luckily my daughter was never obsessed with tanning and sun beds but was never happy with her pale skin but as she got older started to accept it. Although she still uses tanning creams before and on holidays.

I thought the young girl looked so much more lovely with her natural colour.

But hopefully the message " love the skin your in" will save a few lifes.

Just hope my 12 year old son doesn't become obsessed with getting tan as he gets older he's even paler than my daughter.

I do see the point she was trying to make, as Nicola never used sunbeds - she was addicted to fake tans.
However, all the negative points she made were about sunbeds being unsafe, not fake tans. So I found the whole program a bit confusing myself.
Was the point to keep your own, natural colour or the unsafe use of sunbeds???
She went on about the damage etc sunbeds cause, yet I think she was trying to get people to just accept themselves the way they are (meanwhile CAKED in makeup :rolleyes:) If proud of your colour and skin then why cover it all up????
As I said I found it very confusing, and have probably just confused all of you too with my ramblings lol.
I certainly don't think the program would have put anyone off having a spray tan or similar xx

I watched it and thought it was ok....to me she was basically saying that no-body should feel under pressure to change something about themselves in order to feel accepted....which i absolutely agree with. She said she felt unaccepted because of her pale skin and red hair....like the odd one out, but she was the odd one out...she had a unique look of her own...so who made her feel being the odd one out was a negative thing and not a positive thing...was it the media or her own idea's of what the "norm" where and maybe some childhood issues she had of her own...??????

The whole tanning thing to me was more of a distraction to the fact that we should be happy within our own skin, i don't think she used to be and has used sunbeds as a platform to highlight her own issues.

Shocking eyelashes ... sorry I had to say it.. :D

I remember watching a programme about her a while back, and as far as I can remember she was launching her own makeup for pale skin, perhaps this was to promote that? did'nt actually see this programme so dunno, just a thought lol xx

Latest posts

Back