Therapist problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
I've got a new therapist who has been at my salon for three months, she is quite inexperienced (didn't realise how inexperienced she was until I hired her) she's had quite a few complaints- leaving hairs when waxing, spray tan not coning out that great, she messed up someone's eyebrows and a client who had a pedicure said she wasn't as good as how I do it and another client said that when painting her toes my the ripest missed some of the nail on a couple of them. I have been making my therapist aware of these complaints but felt as she is new and we all make mistakes I should give her a chance.

Now a few more things have happened when it comes to booking clients- one therapist said she couldn't get booked in for her nails on a certain day this therapist was in- don't know why she didn't book her in.

Another client said she rang and left a message wanting her nails done on a different day that this therapist was in and said no one had got back to her- again this day was not fully booked so why she chose to not bother ringing I don't know.

She's not confident with a French polish so I said I will come in and she can practice on me as she didn't have any clients in, but I told her only if a client doesn't book in. When I came in Iat half 1 I checked the diary and no one had been booked in from 10. Then before we started a client came in and asked how to remove her shellac then said have you got any appointments I rang earlier but there was nothing so thought on the spot and just said my client hadn't shown up so we were now able to do her. When I asked my therapist why she didn't book her in she said she wanted from 3 ( we were fully booked from 3) and said she might pop in- I'm not sure if I believe her as why would this therapist come in at half one if she wanted from 3pm?!

this same day a client had rang the day before when were not open (monday) and my therapist wrote the message Down like she always does an wrote next to this client no answer left voice message, so later on I tried to ring this therapist again and it just kept ringing then cut out- there was no answering machine so how can she leave a message?
Another thing she has put our products down to a couple of clients one who was having a tan said my therapist said when she had this tan it we nt patchy ( when I confronted her she said she was talkin about a different tan) another client who was having shellac told me this therapist was saying how the shellac ruined her own nails- I told her she should not say things like this as it will put people of!
I am going to have a meeting and talk to her see what's going on. I was thinking maybe tell her I'm going to give her one month and if she doesn't improve I'm going to let her go.

She done a full leg wax and client asked if she could do her bikini line and I heard my therapist say she will see if she has time at the end the didn't do it (even though she didn't have a client after this one so she had plenty of time) I asked her about it and she just said she was going to check the diary incase I had booked someone else in after but client said she will come in another day- I feel she just makes up excuses and not sure how truthfull she is.

What do you think I should do? Should I just start looking for someone else now? I would reall Apriciate any help as this is really stressing me out.

I am all for giving people chances if they need extra training in certain areas and a little encouragement and support but this situation is a little different. Your therapist is being detrimental to your business turning away custom, and blatantly lying to you. I feel unless you watch over over her for the next four weeks your business and your state of mind will be in a worse position than it is now. I would have no time to help this lady and I would let her go with immediate effect. At three months she should be coming up to the end of her probationary period (providing you have one stated in your contract of employment) this is where you can release her. If you don't have this provision, moving forward, make sure you do you can extend probationary times accordingly.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I would of sacked her by now. You may not see it but she is ruining your business. She has already done damage to your business that you won't reverse and lost you lots of money. If she's not booking people in and turning them away they'll just ring your competition and become a regular there.

On top of that if her services are poor than again it's your name on the line! You need to get rid and rebuild your reputation.

That's a toughie!

I can see her behaviour as a newbie who lacks confidence, but she is also affecting your business in a bad way.

If she had come to you and asked for help or said she was lacking confidence in a few areas and was willing to learn, that would be a different matter.

Masking it by lying and turning away clients is a real no no! Can you get a few 'mystery shoppers, try and book in and see what happens? That way you will know what actually happened and can refute her account........but it sounds like you know from the waxing client any way.

Firstly did you do a trade test with her to see how she carries out treatments? Secondly I would have allocated some time with her to show her the level of work you expect and to act in a professional way. Unfortunately I find some people less experienced dont understand that saying things about products matter. ( for instance my junior telling a client a treatment made her hair greasy- it did but it was the wrong one for her).

If you did the above two and then highlighted the complaints. Then I would have let her go while on a trial period.

However if you didn't trade test, if you didn't show her the skills, and you haven't explained a probation period then this is why this situation has happened.

Maybe she isn't confident in treatments, hence why she's shying away from booking more in with her.

A therapist Like this is damaging your business and it's hard to recover from. You'd be best removing her from your business asap before she does any more damage and loses you any clients. It's so stressful, as it's a business you pour your heart and soul into, and for someone to come along and treat it in this way is so hard to accept, so you must do what's right for you and your business, I'm speaking from experience xx

If this had been right at the beginning I'd have said get her to shadow you for a day - teach her some positive behaviours and then give her a week to try and improve and re-assess the situation.

But given how long this has been going on now I think she will struggle to make the changes needed fast enough to not be a drain on your business.

Sadly - I think it is time to get rid of her and learn lessons for the future. x

Latest posts

Back