Thickness of acrylics or gels!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxc_hannie

Reaction score
Hi beauty's! Newish nail tech here...... Have you guys got any pictures of the thickness and arch in your extensions...... I'm happy with my shaping but unsure of how high to build the arch over the apex for the various nail shapes!

Also thickness/thinness of the free edge! Would love to see a few of ur examples to see if I'm on the right track!

Much love! x

Have you got any pics of yours you would be willing to post and then geeks can give helpful suggestions maybe?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1386944498.827163.jpg ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1386944531.960971.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1386944589.046035.jpg
First 2 are acrylic last one is gel x

Have you got any pics of yours you would be willing to post and then geeks can give helpful suggestions maybe?

Only a top view doesn't show a side profile of arch v well...... x

Only a top view doesn't show a side profile of arch v well...... x

Yeah I see what your saying!

Well from what I can see The thickness looks ok but perhaps they (the gel ones especially) need a bit more of an apex to give strength, I would say! As a guide they should be around credit card thickness on the tips, thicker in the middle for the apex and thinner in zone 3 flush to the natural nail.

As they are short it is harder to master an apex without having them look stubby, I really struggle with it! Also when your doing your smile lines make sure they are all the same length. The white is a bit bigger than the coloured tips.

Xxx

Yeah I see what your saying!

Well from what I can see The thickness looks ok but perhaps they (the gel ones especially) need a bit more of an apex to give strength, I would say! As a guide they should be around credit card thickness on the tips, thicker in the middle for the apex and thinner in zone 3 flush to the natural nail.

As they are short it is harder to master an apex without having them look stubby, I really struggle with it! Also when your doing your smile lines make sure they are all the same length. The white is a bit bigger than the coloured tips.

Xxx

The coloured tips were playing around with shapes/colour not on a client...... They came straight off!lol but I can see your point! Lucky the girls I work with are willing models! :D

They either end up quite flat and straight looking or like you say quite rounded and stubby :( x

The coloured tips were playing around with shapes/colour not on a client...... They came straight off!lol but I can see your point! Lucky the girls I work with are willing models! :D

They either end up quite flat and straight looking or like you say quite rounded and stubby :( x

Are you sculpting these? Or using tips? If your sculpting try pinching with your thumbs (or using a pinching tool if you dare)

How do you apply them? In a 3 bead method! As long as I get my ratio right and use the correct size bead for the finger my nails come out the right shape! But it takes lots of concentration at first!

I'm learning also and finding it hard to get a nice arch on the apex! I've found that I worry too much about how thin/thick I'm doing them but I guess that just comes with time :) mine seem to be slightly more flat than anything but I think I'll get the hang of it :)

Are you sculpting these? Or using tips? If your sculpting try pinching with your thumbs (or using a pinching tool if you dare)

How do you apply them? In a 3 bead method! As long as I get my ratio right and use the correct size bead for the finger my nails come out the right shape! But it takes lots of concentration at first!

Using natural tips and blending in then aiming for 3 bead method...... Some times ends up more like 10 bead!!! I get nervous with a big bead!

Work are sending me on a sculpting course once iv mastered this! So I'm working my butt off! Free training! :D x

I'm learning also and finding it hard to get a nice arch on the apex! I've found that I worry too much about how thin/thick I'm doing them but I guess that just comes with time :) mine seem to be slightly more flat than anything but I think I'll get the hang of it :)

Yay I'm not alone!!!! We'l get there!!!! x

Latest posts

Back