Thinking of trying spinning- more info needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helengrace000

Reaction score
As above I'm thinking of trying spinning and want to know bit more about it.

Who's tried it? Do you love or hate it?

Does it hurt the knees?

Which muscles is it good for?

What are the classes like?

Good for your legs but whole core as well and arms and shoulder as a lot of the time you are pedalling whilst standing up, and often against resistance as well.

At my centre, there are about 16 stationary bikes which are fully adjustable, and you start with the resistance on nothing and the instructor tells you how many turns of the controlling wheel when appropriate to simulate going uphill etc. We do it in a darkened room with disco lights and pumping music which you pedal in time to, to varying tempos. A 30 min class is beginner, 45 mins is intermediate, or advanced, where they have you going like stink and up and down every 2 beats on and off the saddle like a maniac. Take a towel you will need it!

It is fun, but I just prefer more variety so I tend to do other stuff xx

edit to add: I have a very dodgy left knee but it doesn't affect it at all, whereas lunges do.

I am a spin instructor & have been for 13 years. Its a fantastic workout, a great calorie burner & fab for toning legs & bum. There is no impact on your joints so its not going to put strain on your knees & ankles like running or aerobics would do.
All instructors teach in their own way & use different music so if you don't enjoy the first class, try with a different instructor....what one person likes another doesn't. Find an instructor you like & you will be hooked.
Most of all.....enjoy x

OMG I LOVE it :) it's a fantastic work out. Great way to lose weight :)

Don't get me wrong... it's hard work but fab! You can control it yourself if it gets too hard. Your instructor will probably try and get you to push a little more but they shouldn't force you. That's the joy, you can go at your own pace. I love it, but haven't been in so long, but looking at going back next month xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

One word. Padding.

I used to do a bit of work in a gym. So that I was able to sell properly, I had to partake in a few classes.

I had some PT sessions going through different things (I loved the boxing!), and then did the taster class. There was maybe 15-20 minutes of spin as a warm up and then more aerobic-type exercises.

My legs almost collapsed after I got off the bike :o

It's a hard work out, but a good one!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to do it a couple if years ago and really enjoyed it. After the first class though I was like Bambi when I got off the bike. But I'll never forget going for the first time with a friend, when we walked in she said "why is there bikes in here" she actually thought it was twirling around not cycling 😂😂😂

Not done it for ages but the first class I ever did I got such an adrenaline buzz. I flipping loved it..

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using SalonGeek mobile app

One word. Padding.

I second that! Padded shorts are a win! But you'll still end up with a sore arse haha xxx

I second that! Padded shorts are a win! But you'll still end up with a sore arse haha xxx

I remember my first time , I walked in and all these people were in pro cycling gear and I thought "what a bunch of w@nk€r5" but the next day I understood.. owwwwwwwwww

I remember my first time , I walked in and all these people were in pro cycling gear and I thought "what a bunch of w@nk€r5" but the next day I understood.. owwwwwwwwww

I'd need a double bed under my arse to be comfy haha xxx

I used to find I was sore but then i was shown WHERE to sit on the saddle (further back) and adjusting the bike accordingly and I can honestly say it made so much difference. You do have to keep moving back during the class as you creep forward!

I'd need a double bed under my arse to be comfy haha xxx

I started taking a blow up doll so I could sit on her knee

Lol thank you for all of your answers. I definitely will try it!

I remember I went to a gym a couple times few years ago, and on the exercise bike my knee would do a little click each time, is this bad, would this be okay?

I'll have to look at what to wear, didn't even think about that! People may stare if I took a blow up doll tho ;) lol

Xxx

I am a spin instructor & have been for 13 years. Its a fantastic workout, a great calorie burner & fab for toning legs & bum. There is no impact on your joints so its not going to put strain on your knees & ankles like running or aerobics would do.
All instructors teach in their own way & use different music so if you don't enjoy the first class, try with a different instructor....what one person likes another doesn't. Find an instructor you like & you will be hooked.
Most of all.....enjoy x

Ps. I carry my weight sort of at the top of my bum and around the sides if that makes sense? Kind of hips but a bit lower and all the way round. Spinning would be good for that?! Xx

Ps. I carry my weight sort of at the top of my bum and around the sides if that makes sense? Kind of hips but a bit lower and all the way round. Spinning would be good for that?! Xx

You cant spot reduce fat. Spinning burns approx 400cal for a 30 min class and has a massive after burn so it will burn fat all all over but remember you wont lose weight if, like me, you would eat a cake because you have done a spin class

Lol thank you for all of your answers. I definitely will try it!

I remember I went to a gym a couple times few years ago, and on the exercise bike my knee would do a little click each time, is this bad, would this be okay?

I'll have to look at what to wear, didn't even think about that! People may stare if I took a blow up doll tho ;) lol

Xxx

I've been wanting to try spinning but this is exactly the reason I haven't too. I get the knee click thing whenever I use the bike at the gym :(

I never had knee problems until I tried spinning. It's a great workout, just not for me.

I've been wanting to try spinning but this is exactly the reason I haven't too. I get the knee click thing whenever I use the bike at the gym :(

Yeah I wonder why?

Hmm I want to try it, wonder if I did it once would it cause any harm?

The fact it burns so many calories in a short space of time is very appealing!! Xx

Yeah I wonder why?

Hmm I want to try it, wonder if I did it once would it cause any harm?

The fact it burns so many calories in a short space of time is very appealing!! Xx

I'm sure it's probably worth a try, might not be for everyone but if it goes well it's probably a great way to burn lots of calories! :) definitely very appealing!

Latest posts

Back