This is my NN, advice on smile line please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I've been trying to grow my NN free edge under my extensions but always seem to manage to lose the free edge when I'm soaking off.

DSCF3858_edited.jpg

I'd love to have white tips with a clear overlay. Thats what I've been aiming for.

I caught my thumb nail last night on a door lock, ouch, so soaked it off today. This is whats underneath. Thats the longest free edge I've had in a long time, however, theres still a vertical split :( so gonna have to file back anyhows.

My main question is, my smile lines. I was a chronic nail biter, from being a small child, and I think this is whats caused it. Most of my smile lines are like this, all wavy and up and down. I can't see how I can tip in white on these!?

Am I forever relegated to pink cover all and putting my own white z1 in? Feel so bummed, thought I'd done really well growing them out :(

Well you have done well, but you cant expect your nails to be perfect when they appear to have been filed quite thin and they are dehydrated and damaged.

The best thing I ever did for my nails was to wear CND Shellac. Not as dehydrating as enhancements NO preparation or filing of the natural nail at all and yet the Shellac helps with enough strength for me to grow my nails right out under the colour.

I've worn enhanced nails for more than 25 years until shellac came along and now I have all my natural nails again .. LOving it! Try it. Have them done in a salon. Start off quite short. In 3 weeks of wearing Shellac you WILL see a big difference.

I never go near my nn with anything harsher than a 240 file, so how would I have been filing them too thin?

They are dry, the free edge would be very bendy if I tried to move it. Unfortunately, I can't get CND products, haven't had the money yet for conversion.

I've tried to find a salon local to me before that uses CND but there aren't any.

At the minute, I've done a gel nno on it for the free edge doesn't bend and break.

Dont know whether to soak the rest off and do the same, got no appts for 10days anyway with my children being off school, maybe nows the ideal time to soak off and strengthen a little?

What about white tips with that smile line? Forever impossible?

Anyone local to Nottingham do Shellac? yoo hoo :D

Look Ive only said they appear to be thin (hence the splitting and the flatness) and dehydrated. Even a 240 grit will thin if used enough.

There are techs in Nottingham that use CND so ring and ask where they are. 08452106060

I don't really use white tips, but they have a prettier result on a longer nailbed than you have.

thanks for your reply :D

I did ring SS about that once when recommended that I try brisa, they said they'd ring me back but didn't, so I rang again and they said they couldn't give that kind of information out :(

thanks for your reply :D

I did ring SS about that once when recommended that I try brisa, they said they'd ring me back but didn't, so I rang again and they said they couldn't give that kind of information out :(

We always give salon info out and always have. I'm sorry if what you say is true but we have a pretty fantastic reputation for customer service and it is most unusual if no one rang you back. I would have rung again if I wanted it bad enough. lol Just call thrm if you want a salon near you.

If your ever in the Newark area...come see us at The Nail Room...we'll sort you out! lol x

If your ever in the Newark area...come see us at The Nail Room...we'll sort you out! lol x
oooh Newark ain't that far :D

I might just do that once kids are back at school week after next.

tbh, I'm totally stumped now as to what to do with them in the meantime. The other hand was worse when I soaked them off. My little finger has no nail half way down, the nn finishes with an upside down shaped smile line then just nail bed, vertical splits on them all, yet none of them are even tender. Have smothered them in oill since last night.

I'm tempted to put extensions on to cover up the mess, but that would be stupid. But the free edge is so brittle I can't even buff them smooth, so they are catching. I might put a thin gel overlay on them?

Hiya, I don't know if it'll help but I have one nail like this (thin with vertical split) and on my course last week the tutor put a silk wrap on it and said to keep that until the split has grown out. So far so good. :)

darn it, only do l&p and gel.

I've just been looking through my books trying to identify exactly whats wrong with them, but it looks like a few things.

The free edge is very thin and brittle and go upwards, ski slope. Some of them have deep ruts in them, then theres the vertical splits which I'm assuming are due to the brittleness of them.

In the absence of knowing what to definately do, I'm thinking a thin coat of gel, but then I'm thinking well if I'm doing that, why not try and sculpt a tiny free edge to neaten them up :( Of course, my tutor isn't available at the weekend, darn it.

darn it, only do l&p and gel.

I've just been looking through my books trying to identify exactly whats wrong with them, but it looks like a few things.

The free edge is very thin and brittle and go upwards, ski slope. Some of them have deep ruts in them, then theres the vertical splits which I'm assuming are due to the brittleness of them.

In the absence of knowing what to definately do, I'm thinking a thin coat of gel, but then I'm thinking well if I'm doing that, why not try and sculpt a tiny free edge to neaten them up :( Of course, my tutor isn't available at the weekend, darn it.

You can put the silk into your gel, it makes them much stronger.
I do this if I have a client who has had an accident & torn the nail too far back to file.
Also doing a very small sculpt at the free edge will help to encase it.

Latest posts

Back