Thompson Local

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buggy

Reaction score
does anyone advertise with these and if so what do you think? some rep wants to come and see me.

Boo

My other half does. He pays about £250-£ 300 a year. He also has a free phone number off them, dont know all the ins and outs though.

xx

Toni Talons said:
does anyone advertise with these and if so what do you think? some rep wants to come and see me.

Like YP you can get a free listing single line entry. I have had no end of cold calls (not for nails and beauty I might add) mainly from Mobile phone reps asking if I would like an upgrade ... insurance .. etc etc and I think they must look down all the new business listings and target them all. It is annoying at times, but the good outways the bad just about ;)

I havent had a full ad in the Thomson so I cannot say how successful this would be.

I wouldnt hurt to hear the gen from the rep I guess... just be strong and say no if its not you!

i have a free listing.

I don't think a paid-for is worth it - but i've not (to my knowledge) had anything from the freebie)

cool, i'll let him talk for an hour and then tell him i want a free line LOL!

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO WITH YELLOW PAGES BABES:hug:

AMB X

i have a paid ad in thomson and its no bloomin different to a free line , i aint impressed gotta say !!! i would stick witht the free line listing hun

I have a free lisitng too, they have just offered me their "Guaranteed" package for £150 + VAT they give you an add in the book, and their website and on 118 118 and they send you monthly statements to say how many people have got your details from 118 118 and if you havent had 100 leads by 31st Dec they give you all your money back, sounds too good doesnt it????
i am debating wether to say Yes or No..........

I have a free one line listing with Thomsons & 118118. so far not had one call from it. I have found YP & Yell.com so much better.

Lissie Broom said:
I have a free lisitng too, they have just offered me their "Guaranteed" package for £150 + VAT they give you an add in the book, and their website and on 118 118 and they send you monthly statements to say how many people have got your details from 118 118 and if you havent had 100 leads by 31st Dec they give you all your money back, sounds too good doesnt it????
i am debating wether to say Yes or No..........

Do you really think they want to give you your money back Lizzie?? I expect it'll be some computer generated waffle. How can you be sure they don't just say you've had 150 ??

I'd go with YP all the way. It works really well for me, i have a 15mm semi-display in nail techs & a weblink on yell.com. Expensive for a one woman band like me, but worth it. You can pay over 10 months with YP too.

I also advertised in Thomson also a large ad and very well done for £200 plus VAT. When I spoke to them I was able to get them right down on price, they wanted £350 at first....it's the only large Nail Technician ad in the book so jumps out of the page at you.

Unfortunately I won't be able to tell how well it's gone as I've left the salon I put it in for......also advertised in YP and before I left I had quite a few clients from it in 3 months...I think if I had stayed, the ad would have made it's money back.

For me thomson works far better than YP. Having been a Thomson field sales rep I can hand on heart say that often people will say that they got your number from Yellow Pages when in fact they got it from the Thomson. I know this for a fact because when I first started advertising my Thonson ad came out 3 months before the YP one, and nearly every time I got an enquiry they said they got it from YP. So make sure you REALLY know where your new clients are getting your number!

The good thing about Thomson is that women often prefer the book, YP is just so big now, both in terms of its size and the number of ads. There is less competition in the book so you don;t need to have as big an ad as you do in YP.

I'm not renewing my ads this year as hopefully I'll be moving to Spain, but if I was I would do Thomson (ask for the QCC it's the smallest display ad) and Yell.com and my website and nothing else.

I have a free ad in Thomsons and a larger ad in YP.

Thomsons seem to generate cold calling annoying salespeople and so far the YP has generated 5 enquires and 1 new client since December 1st.

Can't say I am overly impressed with either...but I will give it time!!

Thanks for all your replies. i'm seeing the rep tonight so i will let you know what i decide (altho being a gemini i'll probably be pondering for the next month!)

Latest posts

Back